Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 04-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Basket cases

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Kickin your butts? I doubt it. The teams we have here at present, when interviewed sound suspiciously like they are from a parish in Connecticut. All[nearly] American imports.

We don't currently have enough Zulu bloodlines in the genetic pool. But we're getting there.

Joe
Funny. My son was going to Western Kentucky University in the early 90's. He was a student coach on the team. We went to see them play a "Professional" Russian team (they were just getting started). He introduced us after the game. Same scenario. Mostly American.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Basket cases

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Funny. My son was going to Western Kentucky University in the early 90's. He was a student coach on the team. We went to see them play a "Professional" Russian team (they were just getting started). He introduced us after the game. Same scenario. Mostly American.
Yes same with our basket ball teams here in Oz. Though the Ozzes are getting better.
Now if they wanted to play Rugby.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:34 PM

Registered SVX
Rugby Football

Yes Joe you have given us a fright and our guys will have to do better. They were booed off the field even though they won but it appears the fans wanted a killing. Sport is not what it used to be. Newspaper headline --
Ò Black day of poor form on and off field Ò

Our Mauri team gave the Wallabies a fright in Australia so that both international camps down under are having to take a close look at their set ups.

In any event good on you lot for the wake up call and a solid message in respect of Irish potential. Bring on next Saturday here in Auckland. It was cold as hell in Dunedin which is Scotland away, but not so here. We have not had any cold yet and it is 18-19 c. I am sitting in just a sleeveless singlet and shirt and trousers.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Rugger buggered

Hi Trevor,

I did say they might not be the push-over you were expecting, didn't I?

Your boys won all the same, fair dues to them. Don't like to see this booing thing, it can only detract from the generally sporting and gentlemanly way that rugby teams interact on and off the pitch.

The Irish squad have quite a few battle-hardened members, with Munster coming second in the European Club final[again]

Hope next Saturday is at least as entertaining, looking forward to it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-16-2002, 09:09 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Joe,

Sorry about the shoot out with the round ball. Awful when it comes to that and you go down but the team appear to have withdrawn with a sporting attitude, which is what it should be all about and they shook up a few pundits.

The whole cup has been a series of near misses but this is typical when most games are decided by one goal. My son plays as he says "proper football" i.e. with a round ball and his team are at the top of their local competition at the moment.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-16-2002, 09:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
have never watched a game of soccer in my life but watched the one last night (our time) match between Ireland and Spain.

OMG!!!! The atmosphere would have been brilliant!!!

Just adding my 2 Euros worth

Seamus!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-22-2002, 05:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Congrats Trevor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Hi Joe,

Sorry about the shoot out with the round ball. Awful when it comes to that and you go down but the team appear to have withdrawn with a sporting attitude, which is what it should be all about and they shook up a few pundits.

The whole cup has been a series of near misses but this is typical when most games are decided by one goal. My son plays as he says "proper football" i.e. with a round ball and his team are at the top of their local competition at the moment.

Regards, Trevor.
40:8 is an emphatic victory, and a good reply to the previous match.

I will shut up about sheep jokes in the future.

Joe
feeling sheepish

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-22-2002, 08:28 PM

Registered SVX
Rugby

No need to feel sheepish Joe,

Your guys gave of their all and kept at it right to the end. They went off the field with plenty of respect, going down to what is on its way to becoming a well oiled machine but has an oil change or two to be in top form.

We are grateful for a hard game which will enable some sorting to be done. This is a land of rugby. We do not have a team in the soccer world cup but considering the sparse numbers we have available it is sensible to specialize although the round ball is gaining ground.

I watched the game at an Auckland City Irish Pub, ÒThe DogÕs BollocksÓ. My son was entertaining, before the game was shown on a large screen TV, as part of a four piece band. They are the regular band at a pub called Ò Molly MaloneÕs Ò on Waiheki Island in the gulf, 35 mins. from the city by high speed ferry.

They are not too bad and had the crowd going with a batch of rebel songs. In fact they sound more home grown than music on an Irish CD which I recently purchased in the hope it might be of interest to my son but which to me was pure Country and Western. However one could no doubt argue about the origins of C&W! You lot have infiltrated the world. My mother was of Irish decent and my father English born.

Regards, Trevor.

Old 06-23-2002, 05:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Rugby

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
No need to feel sheepish Joe,

I watched the game at an Auckland City Irish Pub, ÒThe DogÕs BollocksÓ. My son was entertaining, before the game was shown on a large screen TV, as part of a four piece band. They are the regular band at a pub called Ò Molly MaloneÕs Ò on Waiheki Island in the gulf, 35 mins. from the city by high speed ferry.

They are not too bad and had the crowd going with a batch of rebel songs. In fact they sound more home grown than music on an Irish CD which I recently purchased in the hope it might be of interest to my son but which to me was pure Country and Western. However one could no doubt argue about the origins of C&W! You lot have infiltrated the world. My mother was of Irish decent and my father English born.

Regards, Trevor.
Yes Trevor, it is a likeable feature of the Irish game, round ball, oval ball, that they never or rarely lie down and die, they play their hearts out till the final whistle. A feature that can be attributed to stout leadership and mentoring, bodes well for the future.

Dog's Bollocks always struck me as an English terminology, but you know us, we'll drink anywhere. With anyone. Nice to hear your son is musical. I can play a bit myself in an amateur fashion.

It is a trueism that rebel songs are the ones that appeal to the so-called diaspora, the displaced Irish, those far removed from the homeland. It seems somehow to be a stronger affirmation of Irishness, and this is understandable in their alien environment. For me, 1922 is not that long ago, but I reject the demonisation of The Old Enemy that rebel songs perpetuate. My own father was thumped by an English Black & Tan riflebutt as a child, but I would rather see Ireland portrayed as a place for soft green scenery and smiles and welcomes and sport, than the land of the carbomber. No harm remembering the past, lest we run the risk of reliving it, but we need to move forward, not back.

You say we have infiltrated the world, but the world is currently getting it's own back. There is now a lot of colour on Irish streets from immigration. I like it, it adds colour and diversity of culture. However, I do fear we are not well prepared for it. With an expanding economy, we need extra people for service and hi-tech industries. However, there are a lot of the influx who come prepared to milk our social welfare service for what it's worth, freeloaders, who probably did not work where they came from, and will not work here while the system pays them fortunes because they have big families. That is what I mean by not well prepared, our system has no way to separate out these freeloaders from the genuine ones. Meantime, the public perception of immigrants gets worse and worse, and they all get tarred with the one [unfair] brush.

No doubt in time it will sort itself out.

Congrats again, hope we prepared you guys a little bit for the time when we will kick your butts.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-24-2002, 04:59 AM

Registered SVX
Interesting Joe,

When refering to immigrants you could be taking the words from my mouth as we have the same situation but the PC brigade sweep it under the carpet.

What instrument do you play ? I amuse myself with piano.

Trevor, *<)

Old 06-24-2002, 04:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
PC brigade

Good one Trevor.

For someone who works in the PC [computer] business, the term PC does wind me up a bit as applied to civil liberties and so on.

I find the press very leftist on these issues. I don't mind speaking my mind on it. I know I am not a racist, and I am delighted to see people of any race creed or colour come here and work to bring up their families.

But I have a serious problem with people who won't work, and that includes Irish people. If they are drawing money from state resources, and won't work, to me that is no different from stealing. I have an issue also with having an open door policy to immigration, in that it demeans the concept of citizenship. Anyone willing to come in and become a citizen, and contribute to the central pool of resource, I have no problem with.

Civil libertarians would not agree on that point, they go on about human rights, refugee status. I would not deny help to genuine refugees, but the PC brigade as you call them put no limits on how generous they would be with state money. Ireland is a small country of 3.5 million people, less than the population of many major cities. If a million people a year arrive on the doorstep, who is going to pay for all this bonhomie?

Yes, that's right, you and me, your friendly neighbourhood golden goose taxpayer.

Enough rant. I play a little guitar, and I can play a mandoline and a banjo. Never got to grips with a piano, but have been toying a little with the idea of buying a piano accordion lately.

I did see one definition of a gentleman as being someone who can play an accordion, but doesn't. There's a message there.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-25-2002, 05:23 AM

Registered SVX
This and that

Any time you want a mate on your soap box I will come running and to hell with the politically correct bastards. Yes they are always ready to use the product of the toils of the few who work to pay for those who do not in order to keep their band wagon rolling and their little industries afloat even though the product is hot air.

Bashing this keyboard is as fruitless as bashing ones gums. The problem is that the bludgers start to outnumber the workers and when all have the same voting power the outcome is disaster. Support for those disadvantaged at birth with a genuine physical or mental fault I go along with but that is where the buck should stop. Direct hand outs no. Support and education yes. Second and third helpings to multi losers not on your life. All this generates a society within a society which becomes used to and depends on hand outs with no way up or out.

With a bit more hardware we could set up an up top down under jamb session. I had a go at the squeeze box in my youth but found it resulted in confusion with the different keyboard spacing when trying to play piano Funny a short time ago I saw an unusual piano accordion in a second hand dealers which had a standard piano keyboard and was tempted but do not put in enough time on the piano as it is and realised that a further distraction would be stupid.

My sonÕs band has a mandoline but would like to add a banjo. Feel like a short journey ?

Nice talking to you Joe. Trevor.

Old 06-25-2002, 03:22 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Piano man

Now Trevor you have just told me something I had no prior knowledge of. Piano accordions not having the same spacing.

I was aware the best electronic keyboards emulate the weight of a proper piano, but it did not occur the key sizes could be different. Good news for me. Have short fingers, and found chords a real pain on a piano.

Glad you don't mind a soapbox. What we ought to do is set up a virtual group, and write some caustic social comment type songs. Get a load off your chest, and make some money as well like the pole dancer ladies!!

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-26-2002, 05:19 AM

Registered SVX
You will find a piano accordian easy and also many of the portable non touch sensitive electronic keyboards which use the same reduced spacing. However thick fingers could be a problem but if you can finger the frets on a mandolin you should be fine.

I am lucky as I have a very large span and have not run across anyone who can span a tenth ( octave plus 2 ) and complete the cord with fingers in between as I can. Many can manage the tenth but just the two outer notes. I play mostly by ear so my base cords result in rather a different style. But I am no profesional musician.

Some real rebel anti PC songs could be great fun. Shoot me a lyric to get started on!

I just had a recall -- when I was a very small boy my play friend cousins on a farm where I often spent school vacations used to call ME Joe and I they Bill and Digger. "Bill" is now dead and his brother "Digger" by a nasty coincidence did not return from WW2. I knew there was a strange affinity.

I am guilty of turning this thread into a chat room so must shut down but not before including best wishes. Trevor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: