Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Well, here's what I'm thinking:

The stage 3 project yielded some great developments for svx tuning but at the same time it took a lot longer than planned and a lot more resources and consequently a lot of money out of my pocket. In the end I got left without a blower or fuel injectors, a blown transmission, and a hurting on my bank accounts. I'll even go out on a limb and guess that my dissatisfaction with the current situation is probably pretty apparent in my recent lack of humor and patience with comments regarding my spending more money on dyno time.

That leaves me with the question of how to make back my money as quickly as possible, get my driveline back in order, and get the next generation of stage 3 on it. Now I'm trying to answer that question by asking the same questions I did back before I got into stage 3:

What can I make that you want to buy?
What do you want to pay for it?

I'm always listening for that information so I think I have a pretty good idea but hey I'm just going to ask to make sure.

My thoughts are that I should:

1) Update stage 1 to run a full throttle afr between 12.5 and 12.9 and move the agressive timing table with the fix for the mt stall problem to it, the second set of code still being for regular unleaded.

2)Update the stage 2 software to use 370cc injectors which are available for cheap and make it capable of handling 400hp. The first set of code on the adaptor still able to run all grades of gasoline and the 2nd set of code on the adaptor for E85. My assumption here is that everyone willing to pay for stage 2 to be able to use the z32maf meter would be willing to pay the $150 more it would cost them to get the fuel injectors on ebay.

My hopes are that those offerings are exciting enough that the # of people who would immediately purchase the updates will if not make me my money back from stage 3 at least give me the funds to get my car trans and support the next evolution of stage 3 development (which has been continueing privately).

Are my thoughts and assumptions right?
What would you like to pay to upgrade from whichever you have now to whichever new version you would want?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname

1) Update stage 1 to run a full throttle afr between 12.5 and 12.9 and move the agressive timing table with the fix for the mt stall problem to it, the second set of code still being for regular unleaded.

2)Update the stage 2 software to use 370cc injectors which are available for cheap and make it capable of handling 400hp. The first set of code on the adaptor still able to run all grades of gasoline and the 2nd set of code on the adaptor for E85. My assumption here is that everyone willing to pay for stage 2 to be able to use the z32maf meter would be willing to pay the $150 more it would cost them to get the fuel injectors on ebay.

My hopes are that those offerings are exciting enough that the # of people who would immediately purchase the updates will if not make me my money back from stage 3 at least give me the funds to get my car trans and support the next evolution of stage 3 development (which has been continueing privately).

What would you like to pay to upgrade from whichever you have now to whichever new version you would want?
Michael,
Comments:

1. Every SVX in existence should have the revised/refined Stage 1 you're proposing!

2. The revised Stage 2 looking interesting - will the 370cc injectors be "plug'n'play" in our stock rails? Will the timing table be even more "aggresive" than the revised Stage 1? What duty cycle would you see the 370s running at (85%?)? Since 300cc/min should - theoretically - support around 360hp, the 370s would give us even more headroom to work with Any chance that this software will be an "evolution" of the "G" software Tom is now running?

I'd definitely want to check out the revised Stage 2 in BillStock v4.0 (with fresh engine) and the Stage 1 in BillStock v1.0

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Adding the fix for the mt stall in the stage one would be nice. I know that I would be willing to pay around $50 for a software upgrade to fix the stall.

I have not finish my 5 speed swap yet, but I don't want a stall after the swap. I was going to get stage 2 at some point, but on a college student budget that will not happen for some time.

Bigger injectors for stage 2 seems only logical to me. Engine and fuel management in one package.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Just some dude.

Bill, yes the stage 2 software I am proposing should be seen as the replacement of the G version of the stage 3 software prototype we have settled on. It will be the same software except with 370cc injectors. The 6 current stage 3 owners will be the only recipients of the current stage 3 software. The current stage 3 software is just a stepping stone in my future stage 3 plans. The 370cc injectors are sufficient to keep up with z32maf meter and the new stage 2 software will be able to meet the needs of those doing their own forced induction.

The stage 3 software will continue to not be available separate from the stage 3 kit and it will be changed for dual intakes in which the z32 meter will only measure the airflow of one intake. With this set up the stage 3 software will be able to handle 1000hp.

Last edited by longassname; 11-20-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Bill, yes the stage 2 software I am proposing should be seen as the replacement of the G version of the stage 3 software prototype we have settled on. It will be the same software except with 370cc injectors. The 6 current stage 3 owners will be the only recipients of the current stage 3 software. The current stage 3 software is just a stepping stone in my future stage 3 plans. The 370cc injectors are sufficient to keep up with z32maf meter and the new stage 2 software will be able to meet the needs of those doing their own forced induction.

The stage 3 software will continue to not be available separate from the stage 3 kit and it will be changed for dual intakes in which the z32 meter will only measure the airflow of one intake. With this set up the stage 3 software will be able to handle 1000hp.
Michael,
So, fuel management and even more "aggressive" timing than the revised Stage 1, right? Sign me up as long as the 370 cc injectors are "plug-n-play" with our fuel rails!
-Bill
p.s. are all 6 Stage III owners running the 740 cc NISMO injectors?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 11-20-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
perfect... I was talking to Phil about a dual intake today. How soon do u want to test it out?? I will be fabbing up my new intake this winter and If you want to go dual, this will allow me to follow my asperations

Tom
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Just some dude.

One of the mods want to grab the end of this thread from post #172 and make a new one with it?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Question about the dual intake:

What happens if there is a unexspected restriction on the metered side. Couldn't you potentially run lean and blow your motor? For that matter how are you going to garentee you even have equal flow on each side in the first place?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Just some dude.

This isn't a novel idea. It's the same thing done on turbo z's to get over 500hp. They call it a dual pop. JWT, Jim Wolf Technology does it for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Question about the dual intake:

What happens if there is a unexspected restriction on the metered side. Couldn't you potentially run lean and blow your motor? For that matter how are you going to garentee you even have equal flow on each side in the first place?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
//happy dance// alcohol drinking 400hp turbo SVX coming to your screen soon //happy dance//
Old 11-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
alcohol drinking 400hp turbo SVX coming to your screen soon

Phil,
Fixed your post!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Phil,
Fixed your post!
-Bill
haha now we are talking thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
My assumption here is that everyone willing to pay for stage 2 to be able to use the z32maf meter would be willing to pay the $150 more it would cost them to get the fuel injectors on ebay.
Yeah basically.
I'd still be in.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX
Mike,

I'm interested in the new Stage 2.

New S1, S2 and S3 are well thought, covering the spectrum of all possible need.

Quote:

The stage 3 project yielded some great developments for svx tuning but at the same time it took a lot longer than planned and a lot more resources and consequently a lot of money out of my pocket. In the end I got left without a blower or fuel injectors, a blown transmission, and a hurting on my bank accounts. I'll even go out on a limb and guess that my dissatisfaction with the current situation is probably pretty apparent in my recent lack of humor and patience with comments regarding my spending more money on dyno time.

That leaves me with the question of how to make back my money as quickly as possible, get my driveline back in order, and get the next generation of stage 3 on it. Now I'm trying to answer that question by asking the same questions I did back before I got into stage 3:

What can I make that you want to buy?
What do you want to pay for it?

I'm always listening for that information so I think I have a pretty good idea but hey I'm just going to ask to make sure.

http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 11-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Just some dude.

The stage 2 proved able to run aggressive timing with all grades of gasoline already. Without the z32 meter the stage 1 software may not want to run as aggressive timing with regular unleaded; then again we might get away with running all grades on the 1st. Since it sounds like that is what people want for stage 1 I'll make that software right now and start driving on it with regular to see. I was just figuring to continue making the 2nd set of code have less timing just in case and in case you want to run nitrous.

Is there something else you'd like to put on the 2nd set of code or were you just not seeing the logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
I'm confused about the two modes for S1, for for reg, one for premium vs. the any grade gasoline mode for S2?

What is the difference in timing maps, function or operation between the three?