Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Bipa

Naw... it was Custer who "laid the foundation for the excesses of the war on terror..."

... and it's just been growing ever since.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Excellent link

Very well said. Pretty much deflates anyone's "Clinton was the best" baloon.

I love the TWA800 connection. I've heard rumors, yet never saw anyone willing to publicly say it.

Doug
oops...sorry, missed this one....

So.... you're very welcome for the link. I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity idiot basher. Doesn't matter what Party, Religion or race... stupidity and malice comes in all shapes, sizes and flavours. On the other hand, good folks come from all possible perspectives, too! So I'll continue to applaud positive accomplishment and denounce incompetence no matter what its origins.

I would have had more respect for the writer if he'd followed up with the same sort of summary of Bush. He started off damning them both, but perhaps he felt that nobody needs any reminders of the Bush travesty since it is an ongoing soap-opera. Tune in for tomorrow's episode, when we watch everyone switch partners! (more changes in White House staff coming up, eh? )
Old 04-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Nope. I'm not a conservative. I'm a moderate, just like you. We both wait patiently for a real candidate to step up.
Well, we are both going to hate the next guy, cause he's going to have to fix this Iraq thing and the budget. And none of us are going to like how the budget has to be fixed.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-04-2006, 08:09 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
It's incredible, you don't even live here, and you know more about what is going on in the United States than all of us combined. Incredible.
That's actually pretty common up here. Many Canadians know alsmot as much about the US as we do about our own beloved Canada. Can't often say the same for most Americans though.

No offense intended, but it's true.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-04-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny
That's actually pretty common up here. Many Canadians know alsmot as much about the US as we do about our own beloved Canada. Can't often say the same for most Americans though.

No offense intended, but it's true.
Yeah, us United Statiens are kind of Ethnocentric. But then, the fact we call ourselves "Americans" kind of sums that right up. (We in the furious party no longer regard ourselves as Americans by the way... Still another way my new party is unique.)

But why do you guys keep up with what we are doing? We aren't a threat by any means, and trade relations are good. It looks like you guys would just ignore us. What's the general consensus of how a Canadian feels about the United States?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Yeah, us United Statiens are kind of Ethnocentric. But then, the fact we call ourselves "Americans" kind of sums that right up. (We in the furious party no longer regard ourselves as Americans by the way... Still another way my new party is unique.)
What will you call yourselves then?

Quote:
But why do you guys keep up with what we are doing? We aren't a threat by any means, and trade relations are good. It looks like you guys would just ignore us.
Everything you do affects us, for better or worse. That's for starters. Some would consider the US a threat, in some ways. And it's hard to ignore the loudest thing on the continent I mean that in a nice 'neighbour-to-the-north' kind of way.

And our 'interest' (exposure might be a better word for it) extends far beyond current events. We know American geography, history, culture. It's everywhere; in school, in books, on tv.

Quote:
What's the general consensus of how a Canadian feels about the United States?
That depends entirely on which Canuck you ask. Some would like to 'join' the US at the first possible moment, or would like us to be 'just like you.' Others think the continent would be better off without Americans. Opinion varies anywhere in between those two points.

I think the last official poll that was conducted (when Bush got re-elected) was that ~70% of Canadians genuinely like Americans as people, but, in general dislike and/or distrust your rulers/government.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-04-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
What will you call yourselves then?

Everything you do affects us, for better or worse. That's for starters. Some would consider the US a threat, in some ways. And it's hard to ignore the loudest thing on the continent I mean that in a nice 'neighbour-to-the-north' kind of way.

And our 'interest' (exposure might be a better word for it) extends far beyond current events. We know American geography, history, culture. It's everywhere; in school, in books, on tv.

That depends entirely on which Canuck you ask. Some would like to 'join' the US at the first possible moment, or would like us to be 'just like you.' Others think the continent would be better off without Americans. Opinion varies anywhere in between those two points.

I think the last official poll that was conducted (when Bush got re-elected) was that ~70% of Canadians genuinely like Americans as people, but, in general dislike and/or distrust your rulers/government.
We proudly call ourselves "United Statiens", and we are the Bulk of our newly founded furious party. Our mission is to balance the budget.... again, and put Bush and Cheney in jail with a huge overweight gay guy named Big Bruce. We are hoping Bruce is into S&M and likes taking movies.

We, along with all the other parties have no real policies after that, and like the other parties.... haven't a clue on how we are going to achieve the few objectives we have. But we plan on coming up with a really snazzy moto and emblem, and we are working hard on an inventive smear campaign.

Everybody I know like the Canadians... Everybody. We have the perception that you guys are open and friendly. We do envy your health program, and as quickly as the US tries to come up with ways where we can't buy prescriptions from you, we find ways around it. Nevada, however has stopped it dead in it's tracks with an out and out ban of drugs being transported within state lines.

Oh yeah... Canada is cold.

I don't think the world would look kindly on a political merger of Canada and the United States. You guys have too much oil you are hording up there. The merger would result in an extremely powerful country that is completely self sufficient.

Wait a minute... hording oil? (Wheels turning... think, think.)

Sayyyyyy..... Uhhhh... Don't you guys have WMD's? I mean right on our borders?!? There was a Canadian down here that threatened a convenience store clerk cause the gas pump was broken. Terrorism on our borders?

Hummmmmm.........

Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM

Homeland Security PA guy falls for a plant??

Now this is just right out rediculous. Falls directly in the subject line of "What was he thinking?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060405/...etary_arrested

I guess he'll write his own press release.

Is this Bush's fault? Not yet.... But I'm trying to come up with a justification to blame it on him anyway. I'll take it before my furious party committee and forge a memo or something. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
We proudly call ourselves "United Statiens", and we are the Bulk of our newly founded furious party. Our mission is to balance the budget.... again, and put Bush and Cheney in jail with a huge overweight gay guy named Big Bruce. We are hoping Bruce is into S&M and likes taking movies.
LOL. I'd like to see Bush & Cheney getting what they deserve in prison. Up here we call the proverbial Big Bruce by the name "Bubba."

Quote:
We, along with all the other parties have no real policies after that, and like the other parties.... haven't a clue on how we are going to achieve the few objectives we have. But we plan on coming up with a really snazzy moto and emblem, and we are working hard on an inventive smear campaign.
I wish you all the luck in your political endeavours. That's something that I personally find off-putting about the US political system: not enough choice. It's very Black & White, Us against Them, Red vs. Blue. You need more political variety, something centrist, the definition of which varies widely by country - Canadian centrist is still probably left of the left wing in the US.

Quote:
Everybody I know like the Canadians... Everybody. We have the perception that you guys are open and friendly.
I'm glad to hear that. That way you won't see it coming when we take you over, hehehehe. j/k

Quote:
We do envy your health program, and as quickly as the US tries to come up with ways where we can't buy prescriptions from you, we find ways around it. Nevada, however has stopped it dead in it's tracks with an out and out ban of drugs being transported within state lines.
I've had discourse with some Americans that vehemently hate the Canadian health care system, but they have obviously not been bankrupted by US hospitals. Something like 53% of all personal bankruptcies in the US are the direct result of medical bills. Rather tragic.

Sure, the model we're using right now is not sustainable, but I still believe in universal health care. It's not an unalienable human right, but, gosh darn it, it should be.

Quote:
Oh yeah... Canada is cold.
Heh, sometimes it is. It's also hot in the summer. Very hot. I spent a good chunk of last summer working outside in 40^C heat (that's about 105^F). Plenty hot!

Quote:
I don't think the world would look kindly on a political merger of Canada and the United States. You guys have too much oil you are hording up there. The merger would result in an extremely powerful country that is completely self sufficient.
Hahaha, we don't have that much oil. Especially not the way you guys go through it

Quote:
Wait a minute... hording oil? (Wheels turning... think, think.)

Sayyyyyy..... Uhhhh... Don't you guys have WMD's? I mean right on our borders?!? There was a Canadian down here that threatened a convenience store clerk cause the gas pump was broken. Terrorism on our borders?

Hummmmmm.........
LOL! Don't even think about it pal! We could show you the meaning of 'insurgent' since many of us are trained in wilderness survival, are avid hunters, and as such, a good shot with a high powered rifle

Interesting segue: the rifles used by the Canadian Armed Forces are very similar in most respects to the US M16, with one key difference: where the handle is on a US M-16, the Canadian versions all have scopes. It's so we don't blow through entire clips of ammo just trying to hit something. Seriously, when our boys go on training manoeuvres in the states, all the US army guys think they're elite sniper units. Nope, standard issue.

I was going to nitpick the claim you made that trade relations are good. Generally, that's true, for the US, but we're always getting the short end of the stick. There are currently several issues on-going that we're not happy about (and rightly so).

Softwood lumber. The US has slapped massive tarriffs on Canadian softwood lumber because it is more competitive than American softwood, and the trade lobby that supported this tarriff is using the money to fund US softwood. Every trade tribunal that the case has been brought in front of has sided with Canada, but the US continues to ignore the legally binding rulings of the various tribunals. We should have somewhere in the neighbourhood of $5 billion coming to us in returned tarriffs.

Another biggie is Canadian Cattle and BSE. The American rancher's lobby group RCALF (I think that's what they're called) has effectively shut all cross border traffic of Alberta beef, supposedly due to BSE-infected meat originating in Canadian cattle, costing Canadian ranchers a lot of trouble. Mistakes were made in equal number by both sides, but we get blamed, and we take the punishment over it.

These are just two examples. NAFTA is another, but I don't have enough time to write about that one. Many Canadians are fed up with stuff like this. One of the hopes we had in electing a Conservative Party government in our most recent election, was that the Conservatives would be more aggressive in seeking trade reparations, but sadly, they are just as milquetoast about it as the outgoing Liberal Party was.

That brings me to another point about our politics. When I'm talking about Canadian 'Conservatives' and 'Liberals' I'm referring to our political parties names; the terms themselves can't be compared to the American equivalents. Canadian Conservative Party people are far less "right wing" generally speaking, than an American Republican, but still further so than a Democrat, probably. Our Liberals (or Fiberals, as we call them lately), are probably further to the Left than your Democrats, though there has been a rightward-shift in the Liberal party since former PM Jean Cretien left. We also have a third major party, the NDP (New Democratic Party) and they are further left still. 99% of Americans would call them communists (though they aren't even close). They captured about 30-35% of the national, popular vote last election.

We also have a myriad of other regional and special interest parties with varying political ties and levels of clout. Sometimes they even elect a representative here and there. The short version: Greenpeace (tree-hugging hippies), Natural Law (yoga hippies), Marijauna Party (pot-smoking hippies), Canadian Alliance (gun-toting rednecks), Reform Party (probably equivalent to Republicans), and, of course, the Bloc Quebecois (French separatists, only in Quebec).

Sorry to hijack your thread with this digression, but I thought it was important to point it out. Engaging in discussions of "liberalism" and so on with Canadians may lead to some irreconcileable difference in opinion just due to the vast differences in our cultures. We are, in general, a more liberal country, so 'liberalism' to us would be absolutely 'scandalous' to most Americans. I would hope that all participants of this, and other related threads, bear this in mind and try to respect our beliefs. I haven't taken offence to any of the vast, sweeping generalisations about "liberals" "liberalism" and "liberal-biased media" thus far, nor do I plan to, in the name of keeping the peace. Just remember that for every liberal, liberalism and liberal bias, there is also a neo-con, fascist, and right-wing agenda present.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 AM

So much political discord; man, I'll be so glad when Hillary finally takes office.

dcb
Old 04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Bipa

Yeehaw.... the cavalry has arrived Gosh, maybe now we can start really heating things up

My brother did his MBA in London and I visited there quite often. Funny thing is that at the time I was also quite a bit in London, England. Used to drive my friends nuts, trying to figure out which London I was in.

So what's this big farmer's protest up in Ottawa today all about? Was also one in London recently. I haven't really been following it that much, but it seems that they're getting sick and tired of US farmers getting big subsidies which the farmers in Canada aren't getting. One of the biggest crops affected is corn, I believe, where US farmers are getting over $150 a ton while Canucks are getting around $100 - yet the price for US corn is cheaper on the world market? Didn't the WTA have some ruling about that a while back which the US ignored, as usual?

Darn... going a bit off-topic there, again...

Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
So much political discord; man, I'll be so glad when Hillary finally takes office.

dcb
{grabs chest while falling over} AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-05-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Now this is just right out rediculous. Falls directly in the subject line of "What was he thinking?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060405/...etary_arrested

I guess he'll write his own press release.

Is this Bush's fault? Not yet.... But I'm trying to come up with a justification to blame it on him anyway. I'll take it before my furious party committee and forge a memo or something. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
I'll help. I heard that Bush asked him to find a little girl for him.

There, start spreading the rumor. Soon it will be on the evening news.
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 04-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Bipa

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb

dcb
{grabs chest while falling over} AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
ROTFLMAO! Gosh, wouldn't THAT make for some interesting talk radio on the US airwaves.

On the other hand, Limbaugh and Savage and Buchanan et al. might just actually drop dead of heart attacks and things could conceivably quiet down a bit. Hmm.....
Old 04-05-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I've had discourse with some Americans that vehemently hate the Canadian health care system, but they have obviously not been bankrupted by US hospitals. Something like 53% of all personal bankruptcies in the US are the direct result of medical bills. Rather tragic.

Sure, the model we're using right now is not sustainable, but I still believe in universal health care. It's not an unalienable human right, but, gosh darn it, it should be.
We don't hate the health care system in Canada, we just see its shortcomings from an outside perspective. Just as you see our health care shortcomings better than we do. I'm sure most Canadians don't "hate" our health care system. It is always the extremists that make the headlines.

I kind of like the idea of the US and Canada merging. I think it would be a great financial benefit for both countries. We could call it the United Provinces and States of North America or UPSNA. We could be the world's largest oil producing nation. Run those sheiks right into the poor house and actually have a trade benefit instead of a deficit.
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: