Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-07-2002, 04:04 PM

Dude, where's my strereo?

Well... my baby was broken into last night and about $700.00 of valuables were stolen including my portable mp3 player, my $350 cd player, and my cds.

So much for getting the center exhaust replaced today. Instead I had to file a police report.

I had the alarm turned off because bad weather has a tendency to set it off. Go figure. I'd rather of had the dead battery. Anyway, I asume a slim jim was used. Just curious as to whether people think the factory alarm would have saved me, or if its easy to disable and I should think about upgrading.

Man, I wish I could have caught those F*&%k!!g monkeys in the act.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:26 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Sorry about your mishaps. That's why i park my car where I can see. I also have a webcam pointed at my car taking images every minute with images logged for 6 hours or so.

Hope your insurance covers everything.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-07-2002, 06:31 PM
alacrity024

That blows dude.. I'm wicked sorry to hear about it. At least the car wasn't too damaged in the process..

Well to answer your question, I think that if indeed a slimjim was used, the factory alarm system would have been a pretty good deterrent. When someone unlocks the car door without actually deactivating the alarm system, the alarm will sound as soon as the door is opened. They might still have made away with your portable mp3 player, but they likely wouldn't have wanted to stick around for the time necessary to pull everything else out.

Sorry again-

like Lwin said, I hope your insurance covers it. I know mine wouldn't.

-Adam
Old 03-07-2002, 08:32 PM

Thanks for you guys's sympathy. I think I'll leave my alarm on from now on. Probably won't upgrade. As for the insurance: $500 deductable. Oh well. I guess sometimes we have to learn the hard way.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Thanks for you guys's sympathy. I think I'll leave my alarm on from now on. Probably won't upgrade. As for the insurance: $500 deductable. Oh well. I guess sometimes we have to learn the hard way.
Yeah, I know how you feel. I had just installed a Kenwood Mask unit in my Suzuki Sidekick when someone decided to unzip the back window and take it from me. THey also got a laptop, cellphone and portable CD player. My insurance covered nothing! Now, if they'd slashed the roof to gain access, that would've been covered.

Your car insurance usually won't cover aftermarket equipment, however, you may have a clause in your home owner's policy that does.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-08-2002, 10:28 AM

really sorry to hear about your loss. i know how you feel. my house was robbed back a few years ago. we got about half of what we lost. i hope everything goes well for ya.

good luck,
Kelli
Old 03-10-2002, 02:22 AM

Insurance will cover the damage to the vehicle and the cd player, after the deductable. What I'll try and do is claim every little thing they did, including the scratches on the windows from the slim jim. Then maybe I can get past my 500 deductable and get some money from this. Just curious. You know that door thing that covers the stereo you can flip up and down. How much do you think it's worth. I have an estimator comming on Wednesday and I want to make sure he doesn't skimp on me.
Sorry to hear about you people's mishaps aswell.
Dave.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:42 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Insurance will cover the damage to the vehicle and the cd player, after the deductable. What I'll try and do is claim every little thing they did, including the scratches on the windows from the slim jim. Then maybe I can get past my 500 deductable and get some money from this. Just curious. You know that door thing that covers the stereo you can flip up and down. How much do you think it's worth. I have an estimator comming on Wednesday and I want to make sure he doesn't skimp on me.
Sorry to hear about you people's mishaps aswell.
Dave.
You can check it out here http://www.svxparts.com/diag/?model=...ategory=660-B2

My suggestion (in this case) is to get the part # and then, call your local dealer. Their price will be much higher than at subaruparts.com. Then, order the part from subaruparts.com.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI