How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-26-2002, 08:53 PM
london_31717

Questions before i buy

Allright the svx I am looking at will run fine except that it will not do over 40 until the engine is warmed up.....................any thoughts on what this might be? I know I am new to the forum but any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks and hopefully in the near future I will be asking you guys about mods for my newly aquired svx
Old 02-26-2002, 09:39 PM
sith

What do you mean that it won't go over 40... does it stop accelerating completely, or does it hit the redline and not shift? Either case sounds like A Bad Thing(tm).
Old 02-26-2002, 09:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Questions before i buy

Quote:
Originally posted by london_31717
Allright the svx I am looking at will run fine except that it will not do over 40 until the engine is warmed up.....................any thoughts on what this might be? I know I am new to the forum but any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks and hopefully in the near future I will be asking you guys about mods for my newly aquired svx

Yes you're new to the forum, but, that only means one thing. WELCOME!! There are no stupid questions and we'll do all within our power to help you solve any problems. Trouble is, I think we're going to need a bit more info on this one. Describe, in more detail, what the car is doing.

Again, welcome.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-27-2002, 12:19 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Questions before i buy

Quote:
Allright the svx I am looking at will run fine except that it will not do over 40 until the engine is warmed up.................
Welcome you....

Is it the "tranny" refused to shift and the SVX won't go above 40??...before the temp warms up???

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-27-2002, 03:10 AM
london_31717

ok I'm going to drive the car today so i'll describe in more detail what's going on . I was trying to get some ideas on what it might be.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
ok I'm going to drive the car today so i'll describe in more detail what's going on . I was trying to get some ideas on what it might be.
We could "might" the problem to death, but, it wouldn't help you understand what it actually is. It "might" be that your throttle cable's too short. It "might" be that your Iris unit is shot. It "might" be your MAF sensor. You "might" have a squirrel stuck in your intake. Could be a fuel delivery problem, could be a transmission problem, could be an ECU problem -- until we get some details, it's hard to diagnose. I mean, it's hard enough to diagnose without having the car in front of us, but it's really hard when you just say "it won't go over 40 MPH."

I'm not trying to be difficult. I think I speak for all of us when I say that, in order to be fair to you, we want our information to be as accurate as possible and therefore we need for your information to be as detailed as possible. We really WANT to help.

We'll look forward to your report.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 01:31 PM
london_31717

Lightbulb

Ok here is the deal .........when I drove the car today it started out fine, would not shift into 3rd. But when you stomp down on the gas it shifts...........So I am thinking it probably needs a tranny.
Anyone know the cost of a tranny for this car. Or mabey you guys know something i don't and it could be simple. However in your replys I would like to know the cost of a tranny if you know how much it is.(or worst case situations of what it is or could be)

Oh and when I layed down on the gas I realized why you guys love these cars! I will never look at another honda and feel envy again..............

thanks
Old 02-27-2002, 01:38 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Ok here is the deal .........when I drove the car today it started out fine, would not shift into 3rd. But when you stomp down on the gas it shifts...........So I am thinking it probably needs a tranny.
Anyone know the cost of a tranny for this car. Or mabey you guys know something i don't and it could be simple. However in your replys I would like to know the cost of a tranny if you know how much it is.(or worst case situations of what it is or could be)

Oh and when I layed down on the gas I realized why you guys love these cars! I will never look at another honda and feel envy again..............

thanks
Did the tach run "way up" before the shift (indicating slippage)? If so, your forward clutch is probably on its way out. Or, did it kind of "clunk" into gear?

A tranny, installed will run around 3 Grand (give or take -- you can do a search, I just got some pricing in my "Day 22" thread).

I had my transmission rebuilt by a "reputable rebuilder" -- I wont' go that route again. Get a Suby Remanufactured with a 24mo/24K warranty.

Good to see that you've "seen the light." I don't look at ANY car, and feel envy any more. That isn't to say that I wouldn't like a Countach, or an SL 600, but I don't envy the drivers any more.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Good to see that you've "seen the light." I don't look at ANY car, and feel envy any more. That isn't to say that I wouldn't like a Countach, or an SL 600, but I don't envy the drivers any more.
So true... No other cars excite me anymore. "OH OH OH ITS A SVX! no wait its only a porsche... <sigh>"

-Mike
Old 02-27-2002, 01:44 PM
london_31717

yea it winded up and then snatched me back in the seat. The guy want's 2500 for it so I might talk him down a bit and get it. any idea how much a 5 speed conversion would cost?

thanks alot man, If I don't buy this one I will definately be on the look out for another svx.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
yea it winded up and then snatched me back in the seat. The guy want's 2500 for it so I might talk him down a bit and get it. any idea how much a 5 speed conversion would cost?

thanks alot man, If I don't buy this one I will definately be on the look out for another svx.
I believe the svx 5 speed kit which is being offered / will be offered shortly from small car performance is $4000.

http://www.smallcar.com/svx/5speed.htm

-Mike
Old 02-27-2002, 01:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

My pleasure. I've become something of an "unwitting expert" on tranny behavior. Of course, Beav might have some more solid insights on your plight.

What kind of mileage is on the engine and how's the body/interior. If it's fairly low mileage, then, it's still a sweet deal at 2.5K. Talk him down "at least" 500, then put the trans in and you've relatively got an excellent SVX at about the going price for a '92.

What part of Georgia are you in. I have a sister in Rome and a Stepson going to school in Marietta. There were recently, like 5 SVXes in the Atlanta newspaper. Seems to be a hotbed of SVX activity, if you're serious about getting one.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 02:17 PM
london_31717

87k on the engine..............but I think I can talk him down quite a bit. I looked on autotrader and found various svx's from 6000 to 3000. So When I call this guy tonight I'll get him to take into consideration what it would cost to fix and the chance that someone would want to pay what he is asking for it when you can buy one for 4 grand running fine. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Oh I live in south west ga but I have friends in Atl. so a trip there to get a svx would be worth it.

once again thanks for the help guys
Old 02-27-2002, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aredubjay
[B]

A tranny, installed will run around 3 Grand (give or take -- you can do a search, I just got some pricing in my "Day 22" thread).

I had my transmission rebuilt by a "reputable rebuilder" -- I wont' go that route again. Get a Suby Remanufactured with a 24mo/24K warranty.

the price my friend got for a new tranny installed was closer to 4 grand, but he bought an organ donor car from somewhere in Utah for about 2 grand. it took the shop 8 months to do the job, but the car has been perfect since then.. i know the 8month deal is not what Aredubjay wants to hear, hopefully his job takes 7 or more months off that. anyways, good luck with the car..

Kelli
Old 02-27-2002, 02:41 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SHISVX
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

the price my friend got for a new tranny installed was closer to 4 grand, but he bought an organ donor car from somewhere in Utah for about 2 grand. it took the shop 8 months to do the job, but the car has been perfect since then.. i know the 8month deal is not what Aredubjay wants to hear, hopefully his job takes 7 or more months off that. anyways, good luck with the car..

Kelli
I was originally quoted 4,600.00. Thus the trip to the rebuilder. I have since gotten wiser and have shopped around, close to home. I'm now confident I can get it done for closer to 3. And, a Suby shop can install it in less than a day. I WILL NOT let anyone have my car for eight months, nor, will I tarry another 24 days without it. It just ain't right.
Subaru Ambassador