Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 01:50 PM

i'm in and i got a friend in the area with a svx and he will probably go. see you there!
Kelli
Old 02-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
hey beav, sorry about the gender confusion...i was lost in myself... i told the mechanic what you said (the quick course on electric speedos) he asked me to ask you "what drives the speed sensor itself? gear off the torque convertor or the ring gear that the starter drives?" i have no idea what that means, so humor me. he also asked if anyone here has pictures or what ever of the equipment. you guys have been a great help so far.. i really am greatful for it.
Kelli
No problem, I haven't been using any of my gender lately anyway.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure at this point - I don't have clear info sitting in front of me at the moment. however I'm heading to the shop and I'll try to get under the car and locate the sensor and report back.

Beav
Old 02-26-2002, 02:23 PM

thank's Beave-you're the best!! are you going to reading, PA for the meeting?

Kelli
Old 02-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Boone

Cool

Before anyone gets dirty. Search for the thread "speedometer failure". It places the suspect device near the front diff dipstick tube. B.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:58 PM

the speed senor is okay-the mechanic need to know what drives it. torque converter or ring gear? or is there a special gear?
Old 02-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
the speed senor is okay-the mechanic need to know what drives it. torque converter or ring gear? or is there a special gear?
As far as I know there is something called a "Speedometer driven gear" which is what generates the "mechanical signal" to the VSS. I think. We're all still trying to figure this out.

-Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I know, for a fact (I've seen the diagram and will scan it) there is a shaft that fits into the front diff assembly that has the speedo "driven" gear on it, and that is attached to a cable -- we've pretty much decided that the cable doesn't go to the speedo, so, it must go to the VSS. Now, at the bottom of where the shaft is housed, is the speedo "drive" gear -- which drives the driven gear for the speedo signal.

I think what these mechanics are saying (the box in the box thingy) is, that if the driven gear is okay (which can be removed from the housing, via the cable), and they suspect the drive gear, they'll have to remove the trans, to remove the housing (for the drive and driven gears) from the front diff, in order to get to the drive gear.

I'm trying to research, between the electronics and the mechanics and see how what is tied to what.

Like I've said many times, I just wished that Subaru knew what an "INDEX" was, when they printed these manuals. There is none, so, having to leaf through the different sections can become tedious, to say the least. No wonder Techs don't know anything about the car -- it takes a lot of time to look up a lot of specifics in these darned books.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-26-2002, 03:41 PM
Boone

Cool

hmmm... here is the page from subaruparts.

http://www.svxparts.com/diag/?model=...category=156-A

It seems that the speedo is driven off the converter assy. It might be better to take it to a tech who is SVX trained before you pay alot and search/read the threads in this forum. B
Old 02-26-2002, 04:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
hmmm... here is the page from subaruparts.

http://www.svxparts.com/diag/?model=...category=156-A

It seems that the speedo is driven off the converter assy. It might be better to take it to a tech who is SVX trained before you pay alot and search/read the threads in this forum. B
Good job, Boone. Where the heck have you been, anyhow?!?!? Good to see you hangin' 'round.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-26-2002, 04:13 PM
Not as old as Randy

As stated earlier, the sensor is VSS #2, located at the RF of the transmission bellhousing. I still haven't found any matching diagrams, nor have I seen any cables (speedo style, anyway) on my transmission. My assumption would be that the sensor is driven by the front diff pinion shaft. Driving a speedo sensor from the convertor or flywheel/flexplate would only yield crank speed/engine rpm - totally worthless info to a speedo.

For my money I'd pop the sensor out and check the condition of its gear. Hopefully if there's anything mechanically wrong it will be on the sensor end. The sad situation is, at least for me, no real info is available - most info is kind of a throw together from the Legacy/Imprezza version which is almost identical.

Beav

p.s. I doubt that I'll be able to find the time for Reading. I've got a couple other big plans for travel this year.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Boone

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Good job, Boone. Where the heck have you been, anyhow?!?!? Good to see you hangin' 'round.
Hey Randy, Just had a few dragons to slay after the Burlington meet. Always lurkin'. Now with more time on my hands I'm trying to figger out this new venue. May the tranny gods be with you.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Boone

Hey Randy, Just had a few dragons to slay after the Burlington meet. Always lurkin'. Now with more time on my hands I'm trying to figger out this new venue. May the tranny gods be with you.
The site's easy, once you get the hang of it. Glad the dragons are dead. I trust you beat them over the head with a few gallons of Ben and Jerry's, saved from the meet.

Thanks for the "prayer."

PS: Sieze the carp?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 12:33 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
.....am i the only girl on this site? i know three people in my area that have the svx and they are all guys. the funny part about that is that i know more about cars then they do...
oh i didn't know that you're a girl. that's interesting...why would you pick and buy the SVX??

are you the only girl?? maybe we need to add up one more column of gender under the profile... but you're not the only SVX lady driver i know...... i saw about 5-6 SVX lady drivers in my area....from young to old ...from beauty to pretty... colors like teal, blue, pearl, maroon, black... what color are you?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-27-2002, 06:06 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Driving a speedo sensor from the convertor or flywheel/flexplate would only yield crank speed/engine rpm - totally worthless info to a speedo.
Beav - I don't believe that is totally true anymore. Certainly it was true with mechanical speedo cables, but with computers, all the computer needs is to know engine speed, what gear the trans is in and the speed can be computed!
Old 02-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Not as old as Randy

Would you like to determine hydraulic slippage in the convertor, dependant upon temperature, fluid condition, etc.?

Beav