Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Angry 92 SVX engine swap

I have a 1992 SVX that I put my 95 engine and trany into. Iused my MAF AND O2 from my 95 because they were newer. My car now starts very rough and sometimes, mainly in town traffic the ENGINE CHECK LIGHT comes on. Please help!!!!

I did run the car without a airfilter and adapter for a week. Then I put on my adapter and k/n cone filter. The trouble code came on much less.

Brent
Old 06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstaf
I did run the car without an airfilter for a week.
Are you crazy?
Seriously - that was bad.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:08 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstaf
I have a 1992 SVX that I put my 95 engine and trany into. Iused my MAF AND O2 from my 95 because they were newer. My car now starts very rough and sometimes, mainly in town traffic the ENGINE CHECK LIGHT comes on. Please help!!!!

I did run the car without a airfilter and adapter for a week. Then I put on my adapter and k/n cone filter. The trouble code came on much less.

Brent
u took the whole intake off is that what ur trying to say? if so u probably messed up ur MAS i took mine off ( just the filter) and it messed mine up
Old 06-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What was the code?

If you're not sure how to check it consult the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com/
Old 06-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
disconnect the battery overnight and let the car sit. In the morning reconnect the battery and try to start it up. You may just have some freak codes in there because u didn't have a filter on it(very dumb idea). Hopefully you did not get any debris in the intake or into your valves. You could have a valve sticking open due to something jamming it up.

Tom
Old 06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
More than likely you have debris on the MAF sensing wire, whether it is from lack of a filter, excess oil from the K&N or both. Remove the MAF and rinse it with some carb cleaner - you'll see a small, delicate wire inside. Be careful not to damage it. Allow the cleaner to completely dry before turning the key on.

Filters that use oil on them have been forbidden from warranty coverage by almost every manufacturer. The oil can contaminate the sensing wire and cause driveability issues. I don't know of any OEM that condones cleaning the MAF but it can be done if care and good sense are used. The MAF is highly important to the operation of the car and anything you can do to keep it good condition is recommended. Personally, and I know there are many that think it's worth it, I can't see why anyone would think changing the air filter is such a great idea. Even with the most stretched imagination, what would a .3 second increase be worth to the average Joe, vs. reliability and mpg? It isn't going to turn you into a national hero or a sex god...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
It isn't going to turn you into a national hero or a sex god...
aww crap.
and I thought that k&n was why all the chicks were following me around.
must be the chocolate.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.