Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter

Holy Mackeral, Harry. You must have the heaviest SVX of all! Or you may need to go on a diet!

I think you meant 3450 lb.!

BTW: Brake LININGS is the universal term describing the wearable friction surface- shoes or pads. It does NOT include the rotors (or drums, for that matter).

Chiketkd: The zip tie thing works- use a BUNCH of them. We put them every 1/2". That was not enough. Put them touching each other, and pull them tight with pliers. Don't use the really small ties (they are only like 4 lbs test). The ones we used were about 7" long, I think. We just cut off all the scrap.
SVXHUNTER,
No, the heaviest. The 4,450 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is correct for all of the AWD SVX's - that is the fully loaded (passengers, fuel, oil, etc) weight. Dry weight is about 3,700 lbs. This is a heavy car. Check the data plate in the driver's door jam.

But again, even with all that weight, the SVX handles better than expected.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx

SVXHUNTER,
No, the heaviest. The 4,450 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is correct for all of the AWD SVX's - that is the fully loaded (passengers, fuel, oil, etc) weight. Dry weight is about 3,700 lbs. This is a heavy car. Check the data plate in the driver's door jam.

Harry
OOPS, I meant to say, "NOT THE HEAVIEST" SVX.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-19-2004, 08:07 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx

SVXHUNTER,

Harry
Nah, the car is not nearly that heavy. I've taken my L (AWD) to the scales several times. With the 4EAT, it weighed 3490 with 1/2 tank of gas and no passenger. chicketd also weighed his L (AWD) and got the same number. LSi and LS-L models weigh maybe 100 lbs more.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Yup, I got 3490lbs when I weighed my SVX L (AWD) last week with a 1/2 tank of gas (3680lbs including me w/ my extra tools and camera).

Weight of '96 SVX L AWD

drivemusicnow and civic_slayer who both own LSi/LS-L models got approx 3800lbs when they weighed their cars (w/ driver).

Mychailo is correct in saying that LSi/LS-L models weigh approx 100lbs more (due to leather seats, sunroof, power driver's seat and some extra speakers and luxury items).

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM
After 200, it's all the same.

FYI, the stock airbox gives you better results than a cone filter, unless you modify a coffee filterto work.

I asked Chris if the cone filter actually worked better than a stock airbox, and he said his 1/4 mile times were 2 tenths to 5 tenths faster with the stocker box.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 05-19-2004, 11:19 AM

Keith,

We should discuss this in the 'mod' section...but with the right set-up, I'm +ve the results with a cone filter can be as good if not better than with the stock airbox.

I'll start a thread...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
FYI, the stock airbox gives you better results than a cone filter, unless you modify a coffee filterto work.

I asked Chris if the cone filter actually worked better than a stock airbox, and he said his 1/4 mile times were 2 tenths to 5 tenths faster with the stocker box.

Keith

Old 05-19-2004, 12:24 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
svxhunter do you recall where you bought those 7" zip-ties from? Would any hardware store/ Walmart have them? I plan on doing this mod this coming weekend and posting some pics in the mod section...

Thanks!

-Chike
Chike:

Any hardware store could help.

Here's a linc to a pic:

Zip tied lines

Harry:

Your right, I confused GVW with curb weight.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 05-19-2004, 01:12 PM

Thanks svxhunter! That pic is cool - it looks like a brake line with dreadlocks!

-Chike
Quote:
Chike:

Any hardware store could help.

Here's a linc to a pic:

Zip tied lines

Last edited by Chiketkd; 05-19-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
svxhunter do you recall where you bought those 7" zip-ties from? Would any hardware store/ Walmart have them? I plan on doing this mod this coming weekend and posting some pics in the mod section...

Thanks!

-Chike
I bought a huge can of assorted zip ties from Harbor Freight for like $5. I think it had 1,200 of the suckers in there...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-19-2004, 04:01 PM

Zip Tie Question:

When I do the Zip Tie mod to my brake lines, would I need to do all four brake lines? If I only have time to do my front lines this weekend, will that mess up my ABS if I drive the car?

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 05-19-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I bought a huge can of assorted zip ties from Harbor Freight for like $5. I think it had 1,200 of the suckers in there...
ahhhh harbor freight. the home of the $5 air tools. i love that store.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-19-2004, 04:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95

ahhhh harbor freight. the home of the $5 air tools. i love that store.
Yeah, some of their merchandise is definitely questionable. But overall it's a great store.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-19-2004, 05:27 PM

Re: Zip Tie Question:

Quote:
When I do the Zip Tie mod to my brake lines, would I need to do all four brake lines? If I only have time to do my front lines this weekend, will that mess up my ABS if I drive the car?

-Chike
I can't imagine it would mess anything up with the ABS if you only do a couple. You may not feel a real noticable improvement until you get them all done. It won't improve your braking (your calipers will still be grabbing the disk with the same force), only give you a firmer pedal (the rubber hose will no longer be able to expand a little under heavy pressure).

The only caution I'd give would be really excessive heat- like in excess of 500*. You could potentially generate that much heat during extended extreme braking (ie: overdoing it on mountain roads for a long perod of time, or driving like Porter ). The plastic could melt.

It does take a little time. Start with the fronts. BTW, trim off all the "dreadlocks" before you put the wheel back on.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 05-19-2004, 07:21 PM

Re: Re: Zip Tie Question:

Thanks again svxhunter! I bought a bag of 100 large zip ties from Tractor Supply on my way home today - the ties have a tensile strength of 50lbs. They are 3/8" in width, so side-by-side I could cover almost 10" with a 1/4 of the pack. I'll start with the front brake lines tomorrow morning and post some pics in the evening.

I will definitely trim the 'dreadlocks' with a wire cutter.

Thanks again!

-Chike
Quote:
I can't imagine it would mess anything up with the ABS if you only do a couple. You may not feel a real noticable improvement until you get them all done. It won't improve your braking (your calipers will still be grabbing the disk with the same force), only give you a firmer pedal (the rubber hose will no longer be able to expand a little under heavy pressure).

The only caution I'd give would be really excessive heat- like in excess of 500*. You could potentially generate that much heat during extended extreme braking (ie: overdoing it on mountain roads for a long perod of time, or driving like Porter ). The plastic could melt.

It does take a little time. Start with the fronts. BTW, trim off all the "dreadlocks" before you put the wheel back on.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:38 PM

3/8" is really wide. You will need pliers for these.