How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-15-2001, 03:07 AM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Going to try putting in a stick. Seriously.

Hi there...new member longtime reader.

I came across a 92 SVX with low miles for a scant $2000 since the transmission is dying, as can be expected. I'm actually going to try the old idea of a new flywheel/(hydraulic) clutch/Impreza 2.5RS manual transmission and shift linkage/changed rear differential/etc project, which I'm sure will be an interesting and challenging one. I am actually picking up the car tomorrow morning, and barring any complications I want to start taking things apart as soon as possible. I've been looking around, and I have yet to find a good guide for removing the transmission. I understand that there are shop manuals available, but I've been unable to find one just yet (and I've been investigating this project for at least three months).

So, the question is, for the good of the SVX community (as indeed, I get the feeling that this will be something others might want to pull off), is there any likelihood that anyone might have photocopies of the transmission removal guide for a 92 SVX or have any simple clues? I plan to document my progress as readily as possible, so others might be able to attempt the same feat. In case you're wondering, I have some time right now, and empty garage stall, and the desire to row my own gears on a car that otherwise would cost way too much to repair.

I don't want to seem like a leach...but I thought I'd ask and also reintroduce this topic.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-15-2001, 04:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Alex,

If you are really going to do this, then invest approx. $200 and buy the shop manuals from Subaru. I'm sure that it will prove a valuable investment.
Good Luck. I'm sure that we'll be watching.

Larry III
Old 09-15-2001, 11:37 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm in the process of doing this to my 92 right now, I've got the peddle assembly in but snapped off one of the flywheel bolt, and am now waiting to get a torch over to the garage to heat the reat of the bolts, and hopefully not break anymore, and maybe get the broken one out.
I went the easy way, am using a cable clutch setup.
hope to get it done this month.
Will try to let you know of the problems I run into.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-15-2001, 11:41 AM
sith

Hey Alex- welcome to the board ... judging by your username, I'm guessing you go to the UofM - are you in Minneapolis? I live on 18th and como if you're familiar with that area..
Old 09-15-2001, 02:22 PM
I live in a drawer!

Hey Huck...I've been speaking with a friend of mine who does a lot of work on old VW Beetles, and he noted that getting flywheel bolts off is always a serious pain, and that there are actually tools available that are specific to the task. I'm hoping that since my 92 (just picked it up...sweeet) has low enough miles to be at least manageable. It just occured to me that I could use a paint stripping heat gun to each such bolts off maybe, although it might be a prety bad idea. I'll know more when I get the thing apart I guess.

Did you get the pedal box from a Legacy or something? I kinda wish I had decided to do a cable clutch setup as well, because this project is going to be time consuming enough!

Sith, indeed I was born and raised in Minneapolis. I work and go to school at the U of M, and I was actually at a friend's place last night on 11th & Como (which partially explains how I posted the original message for this topic at around 4:00 am I think), so I know the area pretty well. I've been seeing a lot more SVXen around the area lately...is there an active group are here at all? This seems like the perfect environment for such a car.
Old 09-15-2001, 03:15 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
First off, welcome!!!!

Secondly, Good luck with the project -- A lot had thought about trying -- including myself at one time. What are you going to do about reprogramming the computer?

And last but not the least -- I know there are a couple of people in MN with SVX. We have a couple in WI and there are some of us in IL. I think I summed up the midwest group.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-15-2001, 03:35 PM

I actually got the peddles out of a XT-6, had to do some cut and pasting(welding) to the original assembly to accept the new peddles.
I don't believe a heat gun will loosen the flywheel bolts, they probably have locktite on them from the factory, I plan to get the bolts red hot to lessen the locktite, for that you need a cutting torch.
The tranny & rear diff I've got is out of an Impreza(make sure you get the matching rear diff as the SVX gear ratio is a SVX only ratio).
I'm planning to use the XT-6 shifter(just because I think they're cool ).
I'm hoping to make some progress this week, as I've been delayed on working on it(I almost lost a finger working on the peddle assemblies about 6 weeks ago, just getting well enough to use).
I didn't remove the dash to install the peddles, but it would probably have saved me time if I did.
I did remove the driver's seat and the console, while I was working on them.
The steering column is a PITA! to work around, removing it would have made things much easier.
After putting in the cable type, I don't see where you could locate the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, as the power brake booster pretty much covers the whole area that it would need to be placed.
The standard tranny is about 2"s shorter than the auto, so you'll have to get the drive shaft lengthened accordingly.
The shifter looks to be an easy install, as when the auto shifter is removed it leaves a large enough hole for the 5-speed shifter.
I believe an adapter plate will be needed to bolt the tranny to the original crossmember.
Will post more as I do more.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-15-2001, 04:11 PM
sith

Well, if you see a silver/black SVX with no spoiler, its probably mine. I saw a red one on campus the other day, but haven't seen any others around since last year. I think at last count there were 4 or 5 board members from the Minneapolis area.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:14 PM
I live in a drawer!

I seem to remember reading on this board that disconnecting the transmission computer will still allow the engine to start. Since there is no electrical connection needed on the manual tranny, I figure it'll just...work. Of course, I can't remember specifics about all of this, nor can I find that specific post, but let's just say that reading this might have been what convinced me to try this project.

Right now I'm looking for a compatible pedal box online. I tells ya, if I were ever to get a tattoo of a search engine on my person, it would have to be .com

There has to be space for the hydraulic clutch cylinders somewhere, even if they aren't wonderfully placed. I'll have to take a look once I start getting into it.

On the subjects of SVXen (is that the proper naming?) in the area, for some reason I've seen a ton of them with front end damage in the past few months...like at least five. That is too many!

Then again, my old Volvo also has front end damage, so I suppose I shouldn't talk. Sith, if you see a blue Volvo 740 with a gray hood near campus, that's me. Har har.

I'm off to play with the SVX now...this should be interesting.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:25 PM

Registered SVX
Alex, look at txchange.com, they have tranny service manuals for $14. Goof luck

David
Old 09-20-2001, 05:45 PM

Talking Got the tranny in.

I got the tranny up into the SVX last night, I used a 92 Legacy(non-turbo) flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing(also for a 92 Legacy), and after getting the broken flywheel bolt out and heating the others( which almost came out by fingers then), I bolted up the tranny, fits in there fine (is acually a little smaller[& lighter] than the auto).
Now I have to make a modified crossmember, legthen the driveshaft and shifter linkage, I foresee some problems with the exhaust system(because of the modified crossmember).
Still have a couple clearance problems to check out with the clutch peddle, but think they're alright.
Will post again as I get a little more done.

Have you had any progress on yours?
I'm interested in how the Hyd. clutch setup goes.
keep me informed,
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-26-2001, 03:42 PM
I live in a drawer!

Update: right now I'm just trying to get the tranny out, but it'll just take a little time. I have the exhaust system, starter, and I almost have the rear driveshaft out, and at the same time I'm trying to get enough of the major parts together to see what I need afterwards. I bought an ACT clutch for an Impreza, a lightened flywhell, and a WRX STi shift kit. Now I just need a tranny (I found a Legacy GT 5-sp online for only $450...I think that one should work...) and probably a boatload of other misc parts.

Hey Huck, just wondering: how does the clutch fork, etc connect up to the clutch itself? Does it mount to the transmission directly? That would make things a lot easier. Oh, and I see what you mean about ccomplications with installing a hydraulic clutch...right now I'm working on finding out how big the cylinder actually is.

I'll keep you all posted...but now I have to get out of work so I can play a bit more on this project at home...heeeeh.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:51 PM

alex_umn,
The clutch fork does attaches directly to the tranny bell housing.

I got the car fired up tonight, I left the tranny computer out, had to use a jumper on the 4 prong connector off the shifter, to release the key from the lock, and had to hook up the neutral safety switch off the side of the auto tranny(unbolt it, set it to neutral, and layed it on top of the motor till I find what wire to jump on it)
After these two things it fired right up.

I still have to get the rear driveshaft lengthened,which I thought would be no problem, but I don't think Subaru made these driveshafts to be serviceable and I don't know if I can dissassemble it without trashing it.
But other than that and I still have to swap out the rear diff(it's a 4.11:1!! ) it ought to really make it's 0-60 times MUCH better.

I think the exhaust is going to be OK.

And I went with the Impreza shifter to make it easier to look factory.

Will post a couple pics in my locker in a couple minutes.

Hope to have it on the road soon
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-26-2001, 11:24 PM
I live in a drawer!

Huck, let me be the first to say that this crunking rocks.

On the subject of things which have a high rock quotient, the my tranny is out. Now, if only the parts I need would GET here...
Old 09-27-2001, 04:53 AM

Legacy Tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_umn
(I found a Legacy GT 5-sp online for only $450...I think that one should work...) and probably a boatload of other misc parts.

Alex
The Legacy tranny should work, but you need to make sure you get the rear diff with it.
I believe the Legacy tranny will use the SVX starter,The XT-6 tranny would accept the SVX starter, but the Impreza tranny has a slightly smaller starter, (the hole in the bell housing is smaller), so I had to use the Impreza starter.

I am hoping to get all the wiring cleaned up this weekend where as the driveshaft and rear diff will be all I have left to do, Does anybody out there do custom driveshafts? cheap?

Good luck on your adventure,
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed