Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Unstoppable

VW Corrado?

Anyone have any experience with these cars? I want to get one because thy're nice and small and nimble, but they have some decent power and they are one of the best handling FWD cars. Should be a nice replacement for the Avenger.

TIA

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 10-12-2003, 10:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to milesmc214
Corrados are nice

Hello, I have to say I am a fan of volkswagen corrado's I have drivin a few at the dealership where I work. Not to mention my neighbor has one. I come from Volkswagen family( actually a germand car family) where my mom and dad are big fans of BMW and Volkswagen.

In my opinion I like the corrado VR6 the best. The VR6 is a great engine, not onlyl reliable but has the speed and power as well. The G60 corrado is good to it is a 4 banger but it has a supercharger. So there is advantages to both. Also in my opinion a Corrado would make a very good replacement for and Avenger.

take care,
--Miles
Old 10-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Hater

944 Turbo? i don't trust VW's reliability as far as i could throw them.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Unstoppable

Well, I know my cousin has a '96 Passat GLX VR6, and its been mostly reliable for him, its never been broken down but it does have a CEL on at the moment. I could always try to find a SVX, but for right now I'm looking for something light, small and nimble (the SVX is not even one of the 3), but yet something with a decent bit of balls off the line. It also has to handle well. The Corrado seems to be a nice combination of all these things. I was thinking about a 944T, but having to drive in the snow, I don't know if I really want RWD.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 10-13-2003, 08:38 AM
Superbeast

I dig the Corrado, but you should look for a VR6 unless you plan on doing a 1.8T transplant in a G60. Even VW guys ***** about the G Latters self detructing all the time. ( kinda like SVXrs and trannys). Also if beaten on properly the VWs will seperate the ring gear from the diff. I picked up a copy of European Car magazine and right now there doing prodjects on a VR6....and a 944T
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Unstoppable

I am going to go with the VR6, I already found a company that makes full sets fo forged internals, and currently has a VR6 golf that has somewhere near 600HP. I want to build up the engine mildly, and definitely going to make it handle better than it already does. I'm definitely into this now, its going to be nice to finally get a car that has more aftermarket support, and not just for ricer mods either.

-George Carlin
Old 10-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Do a search and you'll find out they've been discussed here about 3 times with all the info you could want.

Basically, the VR6 is outdated... what you want is a corrado that you can swap a chipped 1.8T into from a newer VW.

- Rob
Old 10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Unstoppable

I dont know why you say that rob, the VR6 is a little tank of an engine. I know it can be made to hold respectable amounts of HP, and it was one of VW's first "reliable" engines.....New doesn't necessarily mean better.

-George Carlin
Old 10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
I dont know why you say that rob, the VR6 is a little tank of an engine. I know it can be made to hold respectable amounts of HP, and it was one of VW's first "reliable" engines.....New doesn't necessarily mean better.
Well, look at the heads to a vr6. They just LOOK old school. I've talked to a modded Corrado SLC (the VR6 owner) about it... his brother bought a 1.8 turbo Jetta, and threw a chip in it, and it WALKS ALL OVER HIS MODDED SLC CORRADO.

But seriously... if you can score a corrado with no engine..mmm baby. 1.8t= more power, more reliable, better gas mileage, cheaper parts.

What's not to like!? Plus it weighs a lot less!

- Rob
Old 10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Superbeast

rob is right ya know. The VR6 is a good motor but the one in the SLC is a bit dated, now the one to have is the 32valve VR6 to make the mad HP. But I think finding a Corrado that needs a motor for cheap and dropping in a 1.8T would be the best way to spend the money. It would be lighter and there for handle better. I just think it would make the ultimate Corrado, that or transplant an R32 drivetrain into it but that would probly be really expensive. A guy I know just blew the diff in his SLC and plans on building a VR6 to supercharge to put it all back together with. We'll see what happens.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Even if you take my advice, still look for an SLC. They have a better interior, and the body is a bit better, with more muscular bulges. I love corrados, but I love the SVX more. I looked into buying Corrados and was REALLY REALLY interested until I found out how cheap SVXs were, and how horribly unreliable Corrados were.

I almost bought one actually. Forrest green metallic SLC, and I even took it to a VW shop to have it checked out. THe thing barely had any oil, and it needed mega $ to fix everything that was wrong with it. The guy was moving, and I should have made him a dirt cheap offer, but ... meh. Still, I'm happier with my SVX. Bigger inside, and AWD, and still badass.

- Rob
Old 10-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Unstoppable

SLC, definitely. Hopefully a 93 in white. Like I said, I like the SVX alot and would like to purchase one someday, I'm just getting tired of heavy cars with Automatic transmissions. I want something small and sporty. From what I've heard, the Corrado is the best handling FWD ever produced.

-George Carlin
Old 10-15-2003, 09:43 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
http://pub5.ezboard.com/bvolkswagendiscussionboard
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-15-2003, 10:13 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
From what I've heard, the Corrado is the best handling FWD ever produced.
Hrm. No. It's a good handling FWD car, for sure, but its far to heavy. A 1995-1999 Neon ACR will out handle a corrado any day of the week; they weigh less than 2400 lbs. The Corrado has too many luxuries to be the 'best handling fwd car'... maybe a GUTTED corrado... but... either way, it still handles AWESOME. I've driven an SLC and it was incredible. I liked it a LOT.

- Rob
Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 AM
alacrity024

heh, after driving around in the behemoth svx, just about ANY car feels like it's a razor-sharp corner-carver.. i remember driving my friend Nick's 1995 Legacy Wagon around the country for a month.. the thing felt more nimble than i could possibly have imagined it would. i scared the sh*t out of nick on rt. 1 in california

-adam