SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

View Poll Results: What do you think it is?
Temp. Sensor 2 40.00%
Fuel Pump 3 60.00%
Fuel Pump Regulator 0 0%
Fuel Injector Pump 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Loki

Unhappy My SVX has starting problems...

I bought the car thursday of last week, I left audio express to get in the svx and it wouldn't start, it kinda acted like it wanted to but before it reached 1kRPM it would just die down, I looked at the gas gauge and it was on 1/4'ish so I thought mabye the gas gauge was tricky, I walked across the street, got some gas & a gas tank, put my $3 bucks (all that would fit in the gas tank) and put it in the SVX, got in, it started fine. I bring it home and notice that my girl-friends dad's '79 911 SC is in front of my house, so I park the SVX, and drive that for a while. I come home to show off the SVX to one of my friends and It did the same wanting to start, and then aventually it just started cranking and cranking. I sparyed some ether in the air box and it acted like it wanted to start again but wouldn't. Of course when my dad gets home so I can show him, the thing starts right up. Ive read some posts about a temp sensor and wondering if this applys to me. Hopefully it does, could it be the fuel pump, fuel pump regulator, fuel injector pump or anyting like that?? Please respond, driving a 90 Bonivelle SSE in a thunderstorm that leaks so bad I have to put a towel on the seat is no fun, help me please...

Thanks.

Todd Gilbert
Old 05-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Dave J.

I haven't encountered this problem with my SVX, but on every other electronic fuel injected car have had that had similar symptoms the fuel pump was ultimately the problem. But clogged fuel filters, bad fuel pressure regulators can cause the same symptoms. Check to see if fuel is getting to the engine from the tank when the pump is on. If not the problem is between the engine and the tank.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The temp sensor only causes problems when it's near freezing (or colder) outside and never when the engine is warm.

I'd try to find out how long ago the fuel filter was changed and work from there.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:00 PM
Tired

I just put a temp sensor on my car and it did not fix it. Try flooring the gas next time you crank it. It fires right up and it not so embarrasing in front of others.

90 SSE huh? My parents still have their 88 that they bought new. My dad loves the car and will never sell it. Mostly stays in their garage since they drive other cars now.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 05-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Loki

Well, I got stuck at starbucks today, I'm going to try the fuel filter, but it doesn't sound like the pump is running, can I replace it my self? is it in or outside the tank? how much are they? how much installed?? thanks for you responses.

Todd Gilbert

3 Days and it wont start.... im about to cry... not really but im hella pissed
Old 05-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The Fuel pump is in the tank, and all subarus(90-up) that I've worked on had an access panel in the trunk or under the rear seat to remove the fuel pump without dropping the tank, you should be able to do it yourself, but be careful as gas fumes are very flamable, work in a well ventalated area.

Pretty easy job.

But change the filter first, as it probably needs it anyway.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Loki

An update...

I went back to starbucks to try the SVX again, It really didn't want to start, it just cranking and cranking with out a catch once, then I tried it again and it started after 3-4 cranks, drove it home and backed it onto my blacktop patio and shut it off, it seemed to drive fine on the way home, mabye a little shuddering but nothing big. I tried to start it again about 45 sec after I killed it and it acted like it turned over a couple of time's and then quit. Ill get the fuel filter tomorrow but any other help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Also is the SVX's tank acessible under the back seats? or the trunk? I know it has a specialized tank to wrap around the exhaust but is the pump acessible from this?? What are your opinions??

Thanks again!

Todd Gilbert
Old 05-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I haven't had the need to access the fuel pump on the SVX (had just about every thing else off ), so I'm not sure, but if I were to guess I'd say it does.

Maybe somebody witha FSM can chime in and say for sure.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Loki

Replaced the filter today, It has been running great since then, I'm still weary that the problem is not gone though. Ill keep you all updated. Thanks for all your help. Lets hope this to be the end of this dellema.

Todd G.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 PM
knight'92

I have that exact same problem.. but only about say.. once a year.. it will just crank and crank and crank.. then FINALLY start.. after I think the battery is going to die... its been cranking so long.... anyhow..

I have had my fuel pressure checked.. and its running just UNDER the ok line
I think the minimum is 27psi, and I think mine is running around 25psi...

if I disconnect the fuel regulator, it bounces up to around 30psi...

so if it wont start, you might try disconnecting the fuel regulator vacumm line for a moment, and see if it starts that way (just take about 2 secs to disconnect and connect the line)...

just thought I would put my two cents in
Old 05-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Loki

Angry

Where is the fuel regulator line? It got me stuck again today at work, in the pouring rain. This sucks!! Ive had the car for less than a week and I'm allready getting pissed at it. I dont even have the frigging plates for it yet! This tip could be useful, please tell me which one it is. Also my other thought would be the aftermarket alarm with remote start, I thought the remote start was a really cool feature so I used it to show off the car to all off my friends. Could this affect the fuel, cause I only really have the problem after i try it, i didn't mean to press it as i got out of work but its right under the unlock button. Any help is EXTREMLY appreciated.

Todd Gilbert

If you are willing to talk to me on the phone about my problem I have free long distance and loads o minutes so let me know and ill call you. Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Rosevineboy

Exclamation

Be careful with the ether starting aid. This stuff is extremely explosive and can cause extensive damage to valves and pistons.

WD 40 aersol spray gives you the same result, just not as destructive. Just remember to remove filter before giving the air intake a couple of squirts. Best if done with two people. Best results obtained if engine is turning when you spray the WD 40.

Mike
Old 05-06-2003, 10:01 PM
knight'92

Loki,

whats your e-mail, and I will take some digital pics,and send them to ya

show ya where the line is..
Old 05-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Loki

its ceramickid@hotmail.com
Old 05-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Loki

its ceramickid@hotmail.com

I appreciate it.

Could this be a bad fuel pump electrical connection or a fuel pressure regulator? How expensive is the latter??

Thanks again.