Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Anyone have any ideas???

Car has been running fine. No overheating, or low on oil. Started engine yesterday and it died. Restarted fine. Drove about 3 miles, engine dies and there was smoke from the exhaust. Can smell coolant at the exhaust. Oil level has increased but the oil and water do not seem to have mixed. Crank will not move in either direction. Will remove plugs to see if there is a hydro-lock situation. Any one have any ideas as to what it might be? I'm sure it would be speculation at this point but just wondering. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:26 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Anyone have any ideas???

Sounds like a cracked block or badly blown head gasket. If the oil has risen there must be coolant mixing in it. How else would it go up?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Clean your oil dipstick, and check the oil for water in the oil pan. If the head went, then you will see water on the oil dipstick.

That's a simple start for diagnose.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 07-24-2015, 09:48 PM

Registered SVX

If you do not find any water massive fuel dilution is another possibility.

A faulty injector or a cracked o-ring? Blown pressure regulator?

Does the oil smell like fuel?

/T
Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM

I agree with the water theory. I'm leaning toward cracked block as the water didn't "mix" with the oil. The oil on the stick is still clear like the fresh oil it was. The water must have settled to the bottom and raised the oil level after the engine seized. I'm thinking water got to the bearings very quickly and seized the engine before the oil and water could mix. I've seen oil and coolant mix in the past look like chocolate milk. Not the case this time. A salvage yard nearby (sort of) has an SVX. The tranny is bad. Engine oil is looking good. As they've not heard the engine run will sell it with no warranty as a parts engine for $400. Going to go turn it over with a breaker and socket or with a jump box to the starter. If it goes well I'll get some valve cover gaskets, pull mine swap parts and put it in. Then rebuild mine after I find out what went wrong. Just want to get it running again.