IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-24-2002, 08:08 AM
likethecube

Automatic Transmission Fluid Drain Problem

Hello,

I just had the Automatic Transmission fluid in my 92 SVX w/92K
drained and filled at the local mechanics shop. I have read
previous > posts that warned against doing the 'power flush' so I just had the drain performed. I also understand that this procedure only changes about half the fluid. Heres the problem. Now when I drive the car, there is an rpm flare shifting from 3rd to 4th. I never have this problem before and it started right after the fluid was changed. I mean as I was leaving the shop on the very first shift from 3rd to 4th. As it happened I was just hoping it might have been a one shot deal - maybe the fluid needed to warm up or something - but the car continues to do this. I even tested what happens when I accelerate hard and downshift to 3rd and when it shifts to 4th the same thing happens. I check the fluid, - it is full, color is fine, no burnt smell. I thought draining the old fluid was suppose to be a good idea - save the life of the transmission by removing fluid that may of lost it's heat resistance capabilities.

Why did this happen? Is it possible that he used the wrong fluid? What should I do now?

likethecube
Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

It is possible there was an anti-slip additive in the fluid and now that has been drained out. You may want to find some and add to the fluid. Lucas makes a good product by me. You want one that is just for anti-slip and not anti-leak as this will most likely swell all the rubber parts in the trans and they may not be a good idea.

I assume you checked the level and it's not too high or low.