Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 PM

tranny problem... please help!!

i bought my first svx back in april and i am now regretting the purchase. the fellow who sold it to me said that he had to drive it for several km with the dummy wheel and didnt know about putting it in 2 wheel drive mode. about two months ago i pinned it at a light, spun a front wheel and that was it. it still drives but makes a clunk.. clunk.. clunk sound as we go. i read in a thread a while back that a certain gear can sheer right off from where its mounted in the tranny or transfer case and that sounds like it might be the problem. since i bought the car ive wanted to swap to a 5 speed, a few guys pointed me in tomsvx's direction and said to talk to him about the swap and acquiring parts. i messaged him but got no response and have since become discouraged and decided to sell the car. i will probably try to replace whats broke b4 i sell it and i was hoping someone might have a similar problem who could give me some insight, thanks for your help!!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: tranny problem... please help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX View Post
i bought my first svx back in april and i am now regretting the purchase. the fellow who sold it to me said that he had to drive it for several km with the dummy wheel and didnt know about putting it in 2 wheel drive mode. about two months ago i pinned it at a light, spun a front wheel and that was it. it still drives but makes a clunk.. clunk.. clunk sound as we go. i read in a thread a while back that a certain gear can sheer right off from where its mounted in the tranny or transfer case and that sounds like it might be the problem. since i bought the car ive wanted to swap to a 5 speed, a few guys pointed me in tomsvx's direction and said to talk to him about the swap and acquiring parts. i messaged him but got no response and have since become discouraged and decided to sell the car. i will probably try to replace whats broke b4 i sell it and i was hoping someone might have a similar problem who could give me some insight, thanks for your help!!
It does sound like the front diff has lost a tooth. The box will have to be changed, sorry.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
It does sound like the front diff has lost a tooth. The box will have to be changed, sorry.

Harvey.
to give you a better idea, i drove it in light snow and it seamed that the front was pulling harder than the rear.. i figured it was the center diff? is the front diff open or lsd??
Old 07-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX View Post
to give you a better idea, i drove it in light snow and it seamed that the front was pulling harder than the rear.. i figured it was the center diff? is the front diff open or lsd??
The front diff is open, only the rear is LSD.

I would guess that the problem started when the C solenoid/transfer valve stopped working. Thats why you got the front wheel to spin in the first place. If the AWD was working normally, it would have prevented the wheels from spinning.

The clutch basket can shear off the transfer gear, this is caused when the transfer valve is sluggish, or there is some flow restriction, to bring the clutch on too late, when the front wheels have quite a bit of energy so when the clutch does work, the sudden shock ends up breaking it off.

If it was the basket, it would only make a noise when the front wheels were spinning. It would not make a sound when driving smoothly along the road.

I don't really think that it was caused by running the spare. There must be a lot of cars out there that have the same trouble, as this is not a rare occurrence.

Harvey.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.