Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 PM

drag launch

1/8th mile drag racing starts april 1st in my area!!!!
I have experience drag racing, but with the svx, I wanna make sure it lasts, and that I get the best results on the track.
Any advice on launching the svx without overheating the tranny or breaking anything?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: drag launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouspork View Post
1/8th mile drag racing starts april 1st in my area!!!!
I have experience drag racing, but with the svx, I wanna make sure it lasts, and that I get the best results on the track.
Any advice on launching the svx without overheating the tranny or breaking anything?
Be sure your AWD is working. You don't want to blow a front differential on the track.(or anywhere for that matter)

TomsSVX or Chiketd would most likely be the most experienced inviduals in giving advice for drag racing the SVX.

I have done it myself, but only at a 1500-1700rpm powerbrake launch. I have run the quarter mile just over ten times (on three occassions) with two different SVXs, usually achieving about 15.7-15.9.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Registered SVX

out of all cars for drag racing, I would not choose a SVX. they are rather a slow snail, its the 3800 pounds that is not so great. its kind of a waste of your time doing so. you will not beat a thing, and it will cause a failure fairly soon to your car.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM

thats what I'm afraid of, breaking something. My AWD is working, the car doen'snt feel too slow either..I might do one or two races and that'll be it.I'll take my maxima, I know it'll take it all without complaining.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

5 or 6 speed helps a lot with this, I launch really nicely with my 5 spd, I beat a ton of people off the line, only problem is the weight and keeping that power moving, turbo or s/c and all that would really help, especially with a fg hood n such.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM

If you're automatic still, it's fairly easy. Obviously you don't want to be taking your car drag-racing if it's not in good mechanical shape, but here's what I do to get the best launch when I'm at the strip.

1. Put left foot on brake
2. Right foot on gas all the way down
3. Let off when the tree turns green
4. Enjoy going down the dragstrip in a heavy, cumbersome, altogether sexy car

Then, let it cool off as much as you can between runs. In the 2 or so years I've had my SVX, it's been down the strip maybe...15 times, and if I let it cool down while I'm in the staging lanes, it can make up to a tenth of a second difference. Heatsoaked manifolds are NOT your friend, so just turn the car off and pop the hood to help it let out the heat. This is where a set of phenolic spacers or a bag of ice would come in handy. (or both!)

Putting your right foot all the way down on the gas while you're on the brake... well that's your torque convertors "stall speed." On my SVX this occurs at approximately 2600 rpm. It may vary from car to car a few hundred rpm, but that'll be the general area.

Anyway, my best so far is really not even that fast, (15.5@89) but considering the weight, the fact that it's an AWD automatic, and how few mods it had at the time, that's not awful. A manual swapped car would be faster because of less physical weight, better gearing, and a more efficient driveline. Consistancy is the SVX's friend though. When I could keep it cooled down to the same temperature run after run, it was within .05 seconds each time. My 60' times are generally right around 2.3 seconds. I don't know for sure, but that's probably normal-ish.

And that's how I do it. Now honestly, you can't go drag racing and expect no ill-effects to happen. Unfortunately, that's just the nature of the beast. However, keeping your car in good shape, and knowing the warning signs of catastrophe can keep you going back time and time again!

I'm hoping to crack 14's this season on the stock tranny. I have yet to install a shiftkit, ECUtune 2v7, and I recently added my tomsvx style intake. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I also think this car's got plenty more power in it to open up!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 03-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

^^I would expect 14's easy with that set up with launching. Last summer I finally got around to bring my 94 down. Me, full tank of Shell 93, no spare, no jack, my 18's, Perrin light crank pulley, PRW radiator, and OTom's brake upgrade wieghed in a 3720. 4 runs. Second run was fastest of the night. 16 flat, with no launch, taking off in 3rd with a temp of 68 degrees I think. I"ll have to pull out the slips. Weight reduction is the biggest key on the SVX. It's got the power and throtle responce just needs to get that fat ass moving.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis

Last edited by Seraphinwolf; 03-29-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM

I wish I could lighten the car without losing the beautiful interior.All that torque could be put to much better use.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

fiberglass hood, light weight rims (2nd gen RX-7), take everything out of the trunk
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM

I am a fan of weight reduction don't get me wrong, but for this car I've decided that I want to know what it can do in full street trim. The car has a very lightweight 17" street wheel/tire combo (rota slipstream) and the overall diameter of the tire is actually slightly less than that of the stock tire. However, I do also have a set of black FD rims with some 245/45r16 bridgestones that I may take along and try out.

I just like knowing what it can do realistically. Weight reduction is great, but I'm not going for an out and out drag car. I just want to know what mine will do on any given day.

Also, I was recently checking out ecutune's site and noticed he offers performance valve body kits now... Very tempting!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: