How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-03-2005, 03:52 AM
KCROGUEDOG

windows

i got the scratched glass blues. i finally decided i want tint but no my glass scrapes on the inside and out on almost all windows (mainly front 2). so i am going to replace sometime and was wondering is the glass install easy? tips? how to prevent for future reference?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:17 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Before you replace the glass, bring your car to a glass installer. They can take out scratches, bullseyes, and scuff marks.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:32 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
2 things cause the scratches. Debris leaking into the door through the seal at the bottom of the window is one. Number 2 is the debris getting trapped in the pads that hold the window in place. I'd make sure that rubber strip of moulding is ok and replace the pads. Also when you tint, the scratches become 10x more noticeable.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-03-2005, 12:59 PM
KCROGUEDOG

they cant take the scratches out on tempered glass. go to know about the tint being more noticable. i thought it would be the pads. can i just replace the pads and no other parts?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Quote:
they cant take the scratches out on tempered glass. go to know about the tint being more noticable. i thought it would be the pads. can i just replace the pads and no other parts?
Sure you can just replace the pads, I just took a pointy nail and went against the grain of the fibers of the pad. This took out all of the trapped dirt and made them nice and fluffy again. I heard you can get small scratches out of the glass but if they are deep enough to catch your finger nail on they are beyond hope. I just took all of the tint off mine because the scratches were bothering me.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 06-03-2005, 05:39 PM
KCROGUEDOG

did u pull the door apart or just the window seal?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:03 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
The door panel has to come off and the window has to come out. Not to difficult, just take your time. 1 screw under door handle, 2 near the dash, 2 under the felt and the rest are clips. Pop the bottom of the door out and lift the whole panel up. Unplug the window switch and you're in there. Pull down the clear plastic so you can access the big hole in the center of the door. Plug the window switches back in and lower the window so you can see the bottom of the window through the hole in the door. There are 2 nuts that hold the window in place. After you remove the 2 nuts tip the front of the glass down and take the window out by the back through the top of the door. After the window is out you can easily see the felt pads that are just bolted in.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:30 PM

Felt pads

I just did the felt pads on both of my front windows. They are cheap (about $6.00 ea.), and EASY to do. Wish I had done mine earlier.
You do NOT have to remove window to replace the pads!
While I was in there, I did new speakers too.
Such a simple improvement!
Again, should have done it years ago!!
Good luck, mile-hi-bri - Brian,
Old 06-03-2005, 10:09 PM
KCROGUEDOG

ty for the help now to save to get new glass. my car has been in to many dirty rough spots. first idaho and present alaska and god knows how it got here. its tough to go 8 months without a wax and a wash.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:41 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
You shuold do a "how to" with photos.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:13 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i will but it will be a while down the road. i got to get suspension all ready for my long drive. and body work is last on the list.