Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2005, 06:58 AM

Question Air conditioner leak found -- Help!

Well I finally found the A/C system leak I mentioned in a previous thread. The UV dye is clearly visible on the part that Subaruparts.com labels as follows:

73431I $76.16 Pipe-condenser,liquid tank
http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=730B-1

The precise location of the leak is just at/below the block-shaped joint that bulges 4/5ths of the way down the pipe.

So, my questions is, is this a DIY repair or should I be taking into a shop? I am a novice mechanic. If it is just a matter of unbolting the old part and bolting in the new part, I am up to the task. If, however, we are talking about high-pressure refrigerent, etc., I am inclined to seek professional assistance.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:21 AM

You can do this yourself. If you have to replace a part or open the system what I told you in a previous post really applies regarding the vacuum pump. Once you open the system it will need pumped. I think Pep Boys will do that for 20 bucks. The bad part is if you fix it and it still leaks it might be another 20 etc. etc.

If you are lucky there may just be a fitting that is loose or an o-ring that is bad. On my Audi the condenser began to leak at multiple spots. Mounting brackets and shrader valves were the culprits.

I am environmentally conscious but in the big scheme of things the little bit of work you are going to do will not matter squat. Go to India sometime. All those 50's design British cars have A/C (wonder if it leaks) and blow blue smoke like crazy.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:55 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
This is just a guess but it might be worth a shot. The location you're describing might be the trinary switch gasket if you look there are three, I think, wires going to it. Unplug the wires and try tightening it a bit.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-29-2005, 03:38 PM

Thanks to both of you. The spot is directly below the point where the three wires attach to the pipe, Michael, so I will definitely check that gasket first.

If I do need to replace the pipe altogether, do I need to drain the A/C system first, before removing the pipe, or do I just remove the pipe (and drain the system "automatically" once I break the seal).
Old 05-30-2005, 07:08 AM

If it is leaking badly there will be little charge left.

If not please realize that refrigerant will come spraying out under pressure once you crack the seal. Wear safety glasses and have a few rags handy.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Inhaling the refrigerant directly will probably kill you.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
R12 near open flames is toxic, haven't heard the same for R134. Not that one would want to go around inhaling either, but I don't think just breathing in the bit that leaks will kill you.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Inhaling the refrigerant directly will probably kill you.