SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Question code 32....AGAIN!!!

ok here's what's up. my car started throwing a code 32 after i adjusted my brake band and put in my 20 ohm resistor. now whenever i put the car under load in 4th gear the light comes on and doesn't go off unless i go over like half throttle or so. then it stays off untill i put it under load at low rpms or cruise at low rpms for more than a minute or so. i had the dalership replace both o2 sensors in nov. and the rh one was bad right from the start with the exact same conditions as now. they replaced it again and it's been fine till now. what the hell?? i have to spend 200 dollars for o2 sensors every 6 months on this car??? this sucks. anyone with some ideas???? by the way, my cat was clogged for a while and so was my pcv so it was drinking plenty of oil. i figure that didn't help but what do you guys think?? Jason
Old 05-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Timing belt jumped a tooth?
Old 05-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Timing belt jumped a tooth?

only one way to find out easily. i'll switch the o2 sensors and see if the code changes, if not, i'm screwed.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Mine was kicking code 37 and 32 when my timing belt was off by a tooth or two. Have you noticed any power loss? You will not hear a difference or for that matter feel a difference if you drive normal. I drove for almost 6 months with a timing belt out of timing before I figured it out. Gas milage is big sign. What are you getting for mpg?

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF
Mine was kicking code 37 and 32 when my timing belt was off by a tooth or two. Have you noticed any power loss? You will not hear a difference or for that matter feel a difference if you drive normal. I drove for almost 6 months with a timing belt out of timing before I figured it out. Gas milage is big sign. What are you getting for mpg?

Steve

the only code i'm throwing is 32. the gas milage is about average and it's gone 6 months now without throwing any codes. when i bought the car it was showing 32 and 37 so i had the dealer put in new o2 sensors and the passenger side one they put in was bad out of the box. they put on another one and it's been fine till i did my brake band and now it's code 32 again. the light didn't come on yesterday at all and only once the day before. does the computer just stop setting off the light after so long? something i've noticed both times now is when it first registers the code the light comes on a lot and as the days go on it comes on less and less. it was running super strong but i think the computer has learned now(had the batt disconnected for brake band) because it's running pretty crappy now compared to usual. from what i can figure this car eats o2 sensors left and right from what i read. i'll switch them when i get a chance and see if it switches to a code 37.i've never play with many ohc engines and i'm very intimidated about removing the front cover and doing the cam timing if that is the prob. so i'm gonna investigate all i can before i go there.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:49 PM

It is not that hard to replace the timing belt or reset the timing. You can download the manual I have attached to see if you wand to give it a shot. I was advised by the subie dealer to use the big paper clips, black ones that the metal handels flip over, those ones. Use them to hold the timing belt inplace on the cam sprockets. the hardest part is compressing the tensioner. A 5" jaw vise workd best.
I think that the timing belt might be an issue. Mine did not always turn on the CE light when I had the problem. Car warmed up on came light, little bit later out it went. some times it did not come on at all.

Good Luck

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 33L_6CYL___VIN_3.pdf (901.9 KB, 122 views)

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
It is not that hard to replace the timing belt or reset the timing. You can download the manual I have attached to see if you wand to give it a shot. I was advised by the subie dealer to use the big paper clips, black ones that the metal handels flip over, those ones. Use them to hold the timing belt inplace on the cam sprockets. the hardest part is compressing the tensioner. A 5" jaw vise workd best.
I think that the timing belt might be an issue. Mine did not always turn on the CE light when I had the problem. Car warmed up on came light, little bit later out it went. some times it did not come on at all.

Good Luck

Steve

sweet! that helped alot. i'll get to it as soon as funds and time allow. are any gaskets needed to change the belt?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
sweet! that helped alot. i'll get to it as soon as funds and time allow. are any gaskets needed to change the belt?
No, but if you are taking the timing belt off it is sugested to change the oil pump seals. There are two of them, one is an o-ring the other is a shaft seal. Easy to do too.

Steve

p.s. Linkie to pics

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there

Last edited by SVX-FF; 05-23-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:26 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Red face

Quote:
No, but if you are taking the timing belt off it is sugested to change the oil pump seals. There are two of them, one is an o-ring the other is a shaft seal. Easy to do too.

Steve

p.s. Linkie to pics

ok i'll do just that when i can have a day to work on it. it feels slow since the computer learned and just doesn't seem to be running like it was, so chances are your right and my timing belt skipped from me getting on it and all that test driving it after i adjusted the brake band.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Wink

well, funny thing. no check engine light in a few days and as of last night it's running like a beast again. so ????????. it's been haulin ass today and feeling quite on it's toes. i'm still gonna replace the belt as soon as possible. gotta worry about changing oil this week though nuttin' but maxlife baby.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
well, funny thing. no check engine light in a few days and as of last night it's running like a beast again. so ????????. it's been haulin ass today and feeling quite on it's toes. i'm still gonna replace the belt as soon as possible. gotta worry about changing oil this week though nuttin' but maxlife baby.
That's great, glad to hear it.

Steve

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Unhappy

Quote:
That's great, glad to hear it.

Steve

well so much for that. it came on today on the way home and i couldn't get it to shut off this time. tried booting the throttle and had it to 85 before i let off and it usually doesn't take that much to make it go off. shut it off and restarted it when i got home and no light. checked codes and still 32. this is starting to piss me off. the funny part is it kinda got like super responsive and powerful after it came on. might want it on more often now.