How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-03-2001, 10:30 PM
ehyde111

Question Oxygen sensor replacement???

How do you replace the o2 sensors? I just pulled my ECU codes and 32 and 37 come up. Both o2 sensors are bad. I've replaced them on other cars and it seemed like a 10 minute job. How easy is it to do on the SVX? Where are they.

Thanks

Oh, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I drive a 1992 LS-L
Old 11-03-2001, 10:35 PM
ehyde111

By the way (excues my strong language ) but holy cow! I just checked www.subaruparts.com and the o2 sensors are around 100 bucks a piece. I remember replacing the o2 sensor on my Nissan with a Bosch for about $25. Are there aftermarket replacements or does everyone typically stick with stock parts in this area?

TH anks again
Old 11-04-2001, 02:15 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
From a professional standpoint it works best to have an O2 socket. You "might" be able to remove them with vice grips or large channel locks, but its not recoomended. The O2 sensors on the '92 SVX are located midway on the down pipes shortly after the dual high flow cats and about 16 inches before the "Y" pipe cat. Different O2 sensors cost different ammounts mainly due to two reasons; heated or non-heated, and resolution (quality of signals.) The O2 sensors in the SVX are of a slightly higher quality than say "your average Ford" and if memory serves me right, they are of the heated element style. I also advise a small ammount of anti-seize on the threads of the new sensors going it. Caution: Do NOT let any of this crap get on or near the sensor grid. Be careful to only get a "slight" ammount on the threads and only the threads. Lack of caution in this area can cause false readings and cause an early failure in the sensor.

Hope tihs helps

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 11-04-2001, 08:15 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Although an O2 sensor removal tools helps, I was able to remove it with an open end wrench (19mm I think) without much effort.

It's a 10 minute job, once you locate the connector and figured out how to remove it, instead of pulling a me and spending 45 minutes trying to disconnect the damn thing.

One word of caution, do it with the exhaust WARM and engine as COLD as possible. It may be hard to remove the O2 sensor if the exhaust system is cold (heat = expansion), and it'll be hard to get your hands in there to disconnect the wiring harness when the engine's hot.

Bosch O2 sensors are about $70-$85USD, with OEM connectors. Anti-seize comes on the sensor threads, make sure you don't get any of that goop on the sensor, or it'll be toast. Chilton manual says don't use other types of anti-seize compound, as the anti-seize is supposed to be di-electric, and the normal stuff isn't. I don't know how true it would be for our 3 wire sensor, since I don't know whether the ground wire there is for the heating element only or for the signal as well.

If you want to go REAL cheap, you could get a generic 3 wire (such as one for a Ford) for $40 or so, cut and splice the wire to the existing harness. However, your results may vary...

I went and bought the Bosch over the summer and replaced it, no CE light since.

VK
Old 11-04-2001, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Although an O2 sensor removal tools helps, I was able to remove it with an open end wrench (19mm I think) without much effort.

If you want to go REAL cheap, you could get a generic 3 wire (such as one for a Ford) for $40 or so, cut and splice the wire to the existing harness. However, your results may vary...

I went and bought the Bosch over the summer and replaced it, no CE light since.

VK
One not to get is the Tomco universal replacement! I put those in last fall and now one of them needs replacing already. I'm going to put real parts in this time :| even if it costs $200

Also, my car currently idles like crap! Hopefully this will help.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 11-04-2001, 02:55 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

A 7/8 inch box wrench worked for me I did both last February as they were coming up as a fault once in awhile. The connector is reall difficult. It took me 45 minutes to figure it out. (vkykam You are not alone.) If you can see the picture in the service manual it may help. To unlock the connector, the lock has to get picked up and then the connector gets pulled apart. I ended up using a small flat screw driver as I could pick-up and push at the same time with this. There is also a holder that locks to the side of the assembled connectors and this has to unlocked first. Pay attention to the way the wires are routed or you'll be taken the connector apart again in order to get the assembled connectors back in the holder. I know from doing this a few times.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:20 PM
The Road Less Traveled

When I replaced the sensor during the summer, I didn't have the factory manual, only the Chilton manual.

I finally caved in yesterday, picking up a used set of service manuals from a local former SVX owner for $110CDN.

I thought I was the only dufus around here...

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
A 7/8 inch box wrench worked for me I did both last February as they were coming up as a fault once in awhile. The connector is reall difficult. It took me 45 minutes to figure it out. (vkykam You are not alone.) If you can see the picture in the service manual it may help. To unlock the connector, the lock has to get picked up and then the connector gets pulled apart. I ended up using a small flat screw driver as I could pick-up and push at the same time with this. There is also a holder that locks to the side of the assembled connectors and this has to unlocked first. Pay attention to the way the wires are routed or you'll be taken the connector apart again in order to get the assembled connectors back in the holder. I know from doing this a few times.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:09 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam

I thought I was the only dufus around here...

VK
Oh heck. Its lunch time. I'm up for a challenge. I think try to take the O2 sensor connector apart just so I don't forget. I might need to do again in another 100k miles.

Did you notice the new wires are thinner than the old wires?
Old 11-05-2001, 09:42 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Actually, I didnt...

I think the one on my car was a Bosch already. Previous owner must've replaced it once before.

Of course, after spending 45 minutes to take the connector apart and feeling stupid, I didn't pay much attention either.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Oh heck. Its lunch time. I'm up for a challenge. I think try to take the O2 sensor connector apart just so I don't forget. I might need to do again in another 100k miles.

Did you notice the new wires are thinner than the old wires?
Old 11-05-2001, 10:12 PM
ehyde111

Hey, does anyone know what brand Subaru used as OEM parts? The wholesale subaru parts club guy (Jeremy Helms -- hello if you are on this list). Has NGK o2 sensors in stock for about $130. Sounds a little high, althought I didn't check out the Bosch yet. Any thoughts if it is worth that much?

THanks