Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 10-19-2003, 09:38 PM

Registered SVX
Hi again Joe,

I do not understand how signals are being picked if they fall within the original Japanese tuning band width. The connecting cable between the expander and the tuner should be fully shielded so that no signal should be available at the tuner frequency. The only signal available should be as modified by the expander.

I gather Phil has his expander remote in the boot close to the vertical aerial. The long lead in may be providing a means of entry for signals at the original frequency direct to the receiver. Earthing of the lead in shield could be faulty resulting in an earth loop. The shield as part of the vertical aerial must be in contact with the body shell at the entry point of the aerial and also to the receiver aerial socket earth.

If he has the expander case earthed separately in the boot he should try removing this connection so that there is earth and negative connection only via each end of the cable shield. This could otherwise be providing an earth loop condition. If the expander is provided with a designated earth lead this suggestion will not apply.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-20-2003, 12:46 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Hi again Joe,

I gather Phil has his expander remote in the boot close to the vertical aerial. The long lead in may be providing a means of entry for signals at the original frequency direct to the receiver. Earthing of the lead in shield could be faulty resulting in an earth loop. The shield as part of the vertical aerial must be in contact with the body shell at the entry point of the aerial and also to the receiver aerial socket earth.

If he has the expander case earthed separately in the boot he should try removing this connection so that there is earth and negative connection only via each end of the cable shield. This could otherwise be providing an earth loop condition. If the expander is provided with a designated earth lead this suggestion will not apply.

Regards, Trevor.
I understand what you're saying regarding the positioning of the expander, but I think that my problem stems from having two aerials connected to the radio, but only one of them via the expander.

I believe that the window aerial is allowing signals in at the original frequency. The reason I think this is that I never get the signal and the noise at the same time. We can be listening to a clear UK radio signal and then suddenly it will drop out completely and we will hear something else. After a few seconds, it will flip back to the UK signal. This suggests to me that the radio is switching between aerials due to a stronger signal in the Japanese spectrum.

I intend to unplug the window aerial, as Joe suggested so the radio will only ever see the converted signal from the vertical aerial. I expect that to fix the problem.

Joe - I can confirm that the aerial leads are under the carpet on the left (passenger) side of the transmission tunnel in our RHD cars - the same as the LHD cars.

Phil.

Last edited by b3lha; 10-20-2003 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:52 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Phil,

I was not aware that you had two aerials connected. You are exactly right. The aerial without the expander will be delivering signals at the original frequency on top of the signals from the expander.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-27-2003, 03:48 AM
Phil & Belha

Fixed our problem

I've unplugged the window aerial at the connector in the passenger footwell. This has successfully cured the interference problem.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Hi Phil

Glad that cured your problem.

I have been away up North a few weeks, and off-line all the time, so had no time to follow this up.

Will post details when I have some news.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: