How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
deruvian

Dying battery?

This weekend was pretty good for me... It was kind of a "pamper the SVX" weekend, which was definitely fun. I installed an auxiliary transcooler (in series, between the radiator and AC condensor), washed and waxed the car A LOT, flushed out the tranny fluid, and changed the oil from regular to synthetic. I didn't really have the cash for synthetic tranny fluid, but oh well. Next time I guess.

But anyway, my battery has been doing funny things lately (I suppose it's my battery). About 4 weeks ago I did the alternator upgrade mod, and everything worked great for a while. However, every once in a while, in the mornings usually, all my electronics are reset. The clock is at 12:00, my stereo is off, the environmental controls are all defaulted... Is my battery kinda dying and then coming back to life when I start my car?

Today when I left work, the car started and then immediately died. I took the key out of the ignition, sat there for a few seconds, made sure everything was turned off, and then tried again. The engine turned, but wouldn't fully start. I had to press in the gas for the engine to take. I'm hoping this just sounds like a battery issue (I don't know electronics very well, just mechanics)...

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 10-22-2003, 03:12 AM

Registered SVX
Batteries do not usually just drop dead. A sick battery will usually provide enough current to retain electronic memories. What is more you mention no starter problems.

What you report indicates a complete loss of voltage and therefore disconnection of the battery supply. You shoud carefully check the mods. you made for any possible intermittent and faulty connections. Try and figure out how there could be a complete disconnection in the ground or positive circuits.

Is there any other connection, fuse or wharever you may have disturbed by mistake when working on the electrics. Try and back track on what you have done.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:16 PM
deruvian

(-) terminal

I have noticed the negative terminal coming slightly loose at times (but not all the way off), but unfortunately I've never thought to check it when the electronics have been reset. If it ever happens again, then I'll check it. However, that was also something that I did this weekend... I checked up on the alternator upgrade, and used a little persuasion to tighten that damned negative terminal all the way. Thanks Trevor!