Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-13-2003, 08:33 AM

Timing belt tensioner (Reft or Light?)

I followed all the good procedures to install the timing belt tensioner, compressing it and using the pin. Problem is I have more than one procedure and they are exact opposites! One says initially have tensioner with the pin in all the way to right (passanger side), but belt on move tensioner left (driver side) which is looser tension, then remove the pin. My plunger extended about 0.55" vs. 0.615 full extension. (MY wife says I'm not quite that small!!)

Only problem is I have another procedure that says first left and then right before removing pin. This would apply more tension or give shorter plunger extension.

Both above sources where of Subaru origin!

I consulted a third source, Chilton and it agreeed with the first procedure above.

OK gang, which is it?? URGENT, its going back together today!
Ken
Old 04-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If you have already released the pin you can either leave it where it is or remove the tensioner, compress it again, and re-install it. Do not release it and then decide to push it into the belt, making the tension even higher. The proper way is to push it into the belt, as in the direction that will tighten the belt, tighten the bolts down and then release the pin.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:00 PM

Angry in other words right is right?

Beav
If I follow correctly the tensioner ends up in the full right (passanger side) position. If so, I got it wrong! And 2 out of 3 books got it wrong too.

Do I risk slipping the belt if it is wrong? The tensioner plunger is about 80% extended. Belt feels pretty tight.

With pin in plunger and tensioner full right, belt was fairly tight. When I moved it left it was definitely loose. When I relaesed the pin it was back about "tight" again.

I think I will wait for one more opinion before tearing it all apart again.

Ken
Old 04-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Ken,

The adjuster is there to keep tension on the belt as it wears in and stretches. Once it extends it will not retract while in the car the car. At least that is how I think it works because it is so hard to compress and extends real easy. It is a good idea to redo the tension. I also remember seeing that adjuster extended at least halfway before I took it out.

John

ps See if Beav jumps back in here.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I noticed that the bolt holes in the tensioner were slots, but it didn't seem to matter where the tensioner was exactly, since as soon as you pull the pin, it extends to take up any slack. Since it is virtually impossible to install the belt with the tensioner extended, I don't think it matters whether it is slightly left or right of center when you tighten down the bolts as long as the belt is on correctly. If positioning were that critical, they would've made the holes round or at least left some sort of alignment mark.

KuoH
Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Just some dude.

SVXRoo,

I own the set of factory service manuals and am looking at the applicable one for you now (2-3). I think the ambiguity is because you only saw half of the directions. It says after compressing the tension adjuster and inserting the pin to reinstall it, temporarily tightening the bolts with the tension adjuster slid all the way to the right. This is before putting the belt on; however, after putting the belt on you should slide the tension adjuster all the way to the left. Then when all is said and done and the tension adjuster is all the way left you pull the pin and let the tensioner do it's deal.

That's why it says right on page 27 and left on page 29. The directions in the factory service manual are probably much longer than chiltons since they include taking off the idlers, pulleys, and rear timing belt covers in order to inspect the camshaft oil seals.

Hope this info isn't too late for you.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Just some dude.

Also, left if passenger side and right is drivers side. It's talking about as you are looking at it from the front of the car. Even has pretty diagrams with arrows so i'm sure here.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have been using a flat screw driver to hold the tensioner, left so it takes some slack out the belt, when I tighten the bolts before pulling the pin.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:03 PM

I think(?) I got it!

Longass
Good thing you made the second post. I did have both parts of instruction but they are not clear about L and R.

I was told to believe Beav and your first post is exactly the opposite (in the car's view point). I was told Beav knows his stuff (spoke Larry III). Your second post clarifies that the guy writing the manual was an engine guy only and may not have know that the engine was eventuall fitted to a front engine car!!

I do not agree with the two recommendations that it is not ciritical. It is worth my time to get it right. I have two of these lovely beasts and I when I get a total of 500k on them I may be satisfied.

When you do procedure backwards, the tensioner is already 80% extended with a new belt. This does not leave much room for stretch.
SVX ROO
'92 Pearl
'94 Bordeaux
Old 04-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Just some dude.

No problem roo,

I think be was saying to do the same thing i was. He just wasn't too emphatic that you should take it out and redo it. I aggree with you that you should. Mabye the belt won't stretch that much maybe it will. Might as well do it right and be sure you are covered.