How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Re: Every member please check in here!

Sorry, I am long winded!
Second time around here. I don't think I ever made it past 'lurker' the first time. I was a Subaru mechanic from around 2002 through 2007 in various dealers in AZ. I actually used to dread seeing SVXs in the service lane! Anyway, we had a 1992 pearl I bought for $250 with a 'knock' about 2 years ago. The 'knock' ended up just being loose flywheel to torque converter bolts. Found out later the guy had had a Subbie reman transmission put in about 5000 miles prior and they didn't torque the bolts right at the dealer! It quickly became my wifes baby and she LOVED the car.
Flash to August 2nd 2010. We were on our way to a doctors appt. and she was driving. We were at a stop light and something caught my eye in the mirror and WHAM! We got rearended at about 50mph by a female driver completely whacked out on meth. We both got moderate injuries. My neck is still not right and my wife previously hurt her back and this reactivated it. Needless to say, we learned to now carry the best insurance money can buy including uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. The car got some pretty wierd creases and was deamed totaled. Of couse the insurance company fought that it had no value. I bought it back for $200 since it was mechanically perfect. It has been sitting in the back yard since.
Fast forward to this year. My wife says she wants another SVX nearly everyday. I find one on Craigslist cheap and go and buy it. We now have a 1995 Green SVX. It runs good, drives fair. I has no powersteering (pump) at all and the rear end is completely out, but I do have those parts here on our 1992, so I need a weekend to get everything swapped out. I still don't know what happened, but the guy said his buddy put in a legacy rearend, the axles don't even fit. I drove it 150 miles home and realized the next morning I was machining the rear end apart the whole way. Right now the axles are actually sagging from their normal position in the housing and there is metal and gear oil everywhere. I, like you, also know legacy rear diffs have a much lower ratio so who knows. they had the 'FWD' fuse in it when I picked it up.
Anyway, I am glad to be back and look forward to seeing if I can help along the way.
SVX owners also need to stop complaining about lack of parts availability
Until recently I was daily driving an International Travelall. try getting parts for that at Autozone!

Jay
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

Wow, sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck with your repairs

... and Welcome to the forum!
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Reptile Wisdom
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Kinglizard here!

Been a member since god knows when.. Started driving SVX's when I bought an Insurance wreck in 1995. The 1992 Black Lsl had 39K on it and was dented and bruised, but after $4500 worth of parts and paint and labor from My son and I, we listed it for $14,500, After a couple of nibbles, I realized I LOVED this car.
Drove it until 2008 with 168K. PA Winters finally caused underbody rust, so I began to part it out. Now drive a "95 Black LSi with 104K and have two other SVX parts cars.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Registered SVX

Hi everyone. I'm Keith, and I live in Chicago. I've been an intermittent lurker on this site for a long, long time, but never participated.

I bought my first SVX about ten years ago and love the cars. My first was a '93 25th AE. It had about 80k miles on it and was in fantasic condition -- until I crashed it about six years ago. That was a tragic day. Since then it's been sitting in a field in Vermont.

My second is a red '95 with 99k miles on it. It's not a flawless as the '93 was, but still in pretty good shape. It's been my semi-daily driver for about six years now.

I'd like to thank you guys for the site. This has always been my go-to source of technical information on the car. I'm always amazed by how much collective knowledge is here.

Sadly, I think I'm actually going to be selling the '95 soon, and the '93 if someone wants it for parts. So I won't be long on this site. But again, thanks!

I'll also register the '95 in the appropriate section right now -- I know you have tried to keep track of them.

I already registered the '93 in a past life (as user keithb). It's production #205.. I actually didn't remember I posted the car on the site before until now!

Last edited by deet; 05-17-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM

Hello from the UK !
I'm Giles Walker and have recently bought my first SVX to add to my collection of other Soobies.
(I am also a co-owner of www.mvbrumbybrat.co.uk site for these great little trucks - please take the time for a quick look)
My SVX is a 1992 pearl white with black roof with 106k from new it is in great shape and to my eye looks modern - especially in the current day as white and black combo is the buzz right now again. I hope to get to know you guys and hope I can gain help and advice from you experienced SVX types on here. Maybe I can help some of you as well. There are not too many SVX's here in the UK - maybe 30 still on the road.
I own a GLF Hatchback 1985 - there are 3 of those !
Here is my SVX.
1996 SVX - Red with Black Roof
1992 MV Brumby Brat - Red (much modified)
1990 MV Brumby Brat 2" lift and big wheels
2012 Outback Diesel - my daily
2002 Forester Sport - wifey's daily
2014 Ossa TR250i Trials Iron - weekend fun !
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Scoobydo

Welcome to the group from Halifax Canada.

We look forward to your input..
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

If you guys find the Halifax Arcane Connection Teleport you can have like mini meetups every day!

Welcome to another european. You sure it's only 30 cars on the road there? We've got 17 registered here, 7 original and 10 grey market imports.

If you've got RHD you've got VTD, baby!
I'm ready to f...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Scoobydo

Welcome to the group from Halifax Canada.

We look forward to your input..
From one Halifaxite to another - thanks ! Look forward to keeping you guys entertained !
Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
If you guys find the Halifax Arcane Connection Teleport you can have like mini meetups every day!

Welcome to another european. You sure it's only 30 cars on the road there? We've got 17 registered here, 7 original and 10 grey market imports.

If you've got RHD you've got VTD, baby!
Hummm that would be fun ! I wonder what MPG I would get ?
I'll look into the UK numbers - I was told that by another SVX owner here recently. There is a DVLA (UK Govt) Website where you can check numbers, I'll try look on there.
There were rumoured to be only 230 official imports here - plus of course however many 'Greys'.
Pardon my ignorance - but what is VTD? - be gentle to me as I am still an SVX Virgin !
Ask me about Nuclear Physics, Rotary Vane Engines, ED Machining or Birds, Beer & Curry and I could well be your man

Last edited by scoobydo; 05-18-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Talking Re: Every member please check in here!

Just a quick drive-by to say "Hello!" to all my old friends here!! I've been way too distracted with life here in my little part of the world and haven't been too SVX oriented lately. I still have the historic 1st 5-spd but she's not running at the moment. Needs a fresh tranny and clutch which I am working on acquiring.

Aside from recovering from an accident injury, the only things I've been really into the last couple years are my Harley, riding, and, oddly enough, flashlights. I think of you guys often and am sorry I wasn't able to drop by the Reading meet this year like I wanted, even if it was on the bike. Looking at the pics posted was great! Always good to see faces I miss dearly.

Catch you all later,
Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny

Holy crap! I have almost 3000 posts???

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarJohnny View Post
Holy crap! I have almost 3000 posts???
Post whor!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarJohnny View Post
Just a quick drive-by to say "Hello!" to all my old friends here!! I've been way too distracted with life here in my little part of the world and haven't been too SVX oriented lately. I still have the historic 1st 5-spd but she's not running at the moment. Needs a fresh tranny and clutch which I am working on acquiring.

Aside from recovering from an accident injury, the only things I've been really into the last couple years are my Harley, riding, and, oddly enough, flashlights. I think of you guys often and am sorry I wasn't able to drop by the Reading meet this year like I wanted, even if it was on the bike. Looking at the pics posted was great! Always good to see faces I miss dearly.

Catch you all later,
Johnny

Good to hear from you Johnny, Hope you get my old SVX back on the road soon!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 AM

Registered SVX

Just picked up a 1994 SVX to use as a donor for an Impreza build.

Until I find an Impreza chassis I'm going to get the cars engine in tip top shape and drive it for a bit.

Then its destined for a part out.

Last edited by vagabond; 06-27-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Just picked up a 1994 SVX to use as a donor for an Impreza build.

Until I find and Impreza chassis I'm going to get the cars engine in tip top shape and drive it for a bit.

Then its destined for a part out.
Yeah.. that's exactly what we like, people buying an SVX to slaughter it. Welcome.
I'm ready to f...