Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 05-25-2015, 06:14 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Who's Racing Their SVX?

I would suggest HANKOOK Rs 3's for tires Seems like I paid less than $150, and I'll be getting into my second autocross season with them this year.

Also, I would go back to the 16 inch rims.... if not the stock rims (which I ran with my '92 SVX) a wider aftermarket 16 incher The 17's have the effect of gearing the car "higher", thereby sowing your acceleration. The 17's are much better for the track. Be sure to also check out the tread wear index on the tire - most organizations (like SCCA and NASA) are now limiting the tire wear index to 140 if you are to remain in the stock class - the HANKOOK's mentioned above are 200 and stick really well.

Also, another point to consider is that when you mention you can feel your tires "rolling over" ... that means you need MORE AIR in them. More air will insure the contact patch is at the max. Put some chalk marks on the tire close to the tread to see exactly how much the tires are rolling.

As for brakes, I never had problems with the SVX brakes. If one engaging the antilock brake system, then you need more tire rather than more brake - I use EBC pads and they work great. Be sure to upgrade to at least DOT 4 brake fluid too ..
Hope this helps. I sold my '92 SVX that I autocrossed a bit over a year ago when I found a Porsche 924S with VERY low mileage on it, but I still have my '97 SVX - only 82K miles on it ......
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
I would suggest HANKOOK Rs 3's for tires Seems like I paid less than $150, and I'll be getting into my second autocross season with them this year.

Also, I would go back to the 16 inch rims.... if not the stock rims (which I ran with my '92 SVX) a wider aftermarket 16 incher The 17's have the effect of gearing the car "higher", thereby sowing your acceleration. The 17's are much better for the track.

Also, another point to consider is that when you mention you can feel your tires "rolling over" ... that means you need MORE AIR in them.

As for brakes, I never had problems with the SVX brakes. If one engaging the antilock brake system, then you need more tire rather than more brake - I use EBC pads and they work great. Be sure to upgrade to at least DOT 4 brake fluid too ..
I have looked into the wide variety of tires available and it is hard to make a decision. I do, however, agree with the Hankook RS3 being one of, if not the best contender in the Sub $150, 200+UTQG category. Thanks for the input!

Wheels will be staying 17's, I already have 2 sets of wheels and the other half would kick me out if I buy yet ANOTHER set. I have 4.44's so hopefully that balances out the acceleration.

I read into "rolling sidewalls" and I will be testing out higher pressures. This last event I ran 38psi fronts and 32psi rears to help the rear end rotate. I will bump up the fronts to 40 for the next event.

The ABS did kick in a couple of times at each of the past events, which is why I started looking into tires. I'm already running DOT 4 fluid, SS brake lines, Red EBC pads and slotted/cross drilled rotors.
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker
Old 05-25-2015, 09:55 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The 16/17/18 inch argument SHOULD be about the total wheel/tire weight as long as you do not increase the tire diameter. 24.86" is stock.

For example a typical 225/50/16 street tire on a stock (20# wheel) weighs 40#s, on average.
But if you have a 16#, 17" wheel with a 235/40/17 wheel/tire combination (at 24.4" tall) that weighs 40# or less, Then you have a win, win, win!

Wider tire, quicker responce, more feedback, BUT the wheel has to be wide enough for said tire.
Even our stock wheels are 7.5" wide.
So check to see what YOUR 7.5" wide wheel can handle as far as tire size goes.

A 225/45/17 is only 24.97" tall, and a safe bet, especially with your 4.44s.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 05-25-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
The 16/17/18 inch argument SHOULD be about the total wheel/tire weight as long as you do not increase the tire diameter. 24.86" is stock.

For example a typical 225/50/16 street tire on a stock (20# wheel) weighs 40#s, on average.
But if you have a 16#, 17" wheel with a 235/40/17 wheel/tire combination (at 24.4" tall) that weighs 40# or less, Then you have a win, win, win!

Wider tire, quicker responce, more feedback, BUT the wheel has to be wide enough for said tire.

Thanks for clarifying Tom! I'm actually running the BBS STI wheels which are 17x8's (19.2 lbs with wheel weights and valve stem). I'm running 225/45's at the moment and the whole set up is 42lbs aired up.

I want to buy 235/45's for my next set for said "Wider tire, quicker responce, more feedback". The wheels I want would put me at about 46lbs though. What should I do...
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker
Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

What he said!
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Harry

The only issue with going back to 16 inch rims is the EXTREMELY limited selection of tire widths. I have not been able to find any of the current crop of 200 TW tires in a 16 inch size that are wider than 235 (!). Now, you go to R-Comps and the gloves come off ;-)

Bill

Quote:

Also, I would go back to the 16 inch rims.... if not the stock rims (which I ran with my '92 SVX) a wider aftermarket 16 incher The 17's have the effect of gearing the car "higher", thereby sowing your acceleration. The 17's are much better for the track. Be sure to also check out the tread wear index on the tire - most organizations (like SCCA and NASA) are now limiting the tire wear index to 140 if you are to remain in the stock class - the HANKOOK's mentioned above are 200 and stick really well.

Also, another point to consider is that when you mention you can feel your tires "rolling over" ... that means you need MORE AIR in them. More air will insure the contact patch is at the max. Put some chalk marks on the tire close to the tread to see exactly how much the tires are rolling.

Hope this helps. I sold my '92 SVX that I autocrossed a bit over a year ago when I found a Porsche 924S with VERY low mileage on it, but I still have my '97 SVX - only 82K miles on it ......

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Harry

The only issue with going back to 16 inch rims is the EXTREMELY limited selection of tire widths. I have not been able to find any of the current crop of 200 TW tires in a 16 inch size that are wider than 235 (!). Now, you go to R-Comps and the gloves come off ;-)

Bill
How VERY TRUE, Billy!! And yes, I know - MORE TIRE!!
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
How VERY TRUE, Billy!! And yes, I know - MORE TIRE!!

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-30-2015, 04:39 AM
There's a storm coming.

Elezar,
I have four very cool 16 X 9 "snowflake" wheels that weigh 21.6#s each!
Who wants to go FAST!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 AM

I wont go as far as to say I race my SVX, but I like to take her out on track days just to see what she can do and also to learn the handling characteristics of the car. She is like chalk and cheese compared to the WRX's I have had in the past.

here's a cool pic from a month ago!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10891511_425317664311646_3502383848440169054_n.jpg (52.8 KB, 953 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 10:08 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSport View Post
I wont go as far as to say I race my SVX, but I like to take her out on track days just to see what she can do and also to learn the handling characteristics of the car. She is like chalk and cheese compared to the WRX's I have had in the past.

here's a cool pic from a month ago!
What doe's "Chalk and Cheese" mean?

And yes its a cool picture.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
What doe's "Chalk and Cheese" mean?

And yes its a cool picture.

Thanks!

Chalk and Cheese = completely different. like day and night.

LOL see attached. sorry, couldn't resist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (25.7 KB, 966 views)
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
There's a storm coming.

Thank you for the translation.

It SOUNDED like an English delicasy

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM

OK, I've looked at all the postings in this thread, as well as the mods made to the cars. I'll assume no one is running in the H street class of SCCA. If so the cars are so illegal I'd be ashamed to say I know you. As I've read the rules, (former Modified Category Advisory Committee member), and researched the SCCA rules for over 30 years I've found the following to be not allowed in Street. The other than stock dimension wheels, 4.44's, QC, to name 3 off the top of my head. Each of which I've considered and to add those moves the car to really lofty categories. What groups are you guys running in so I can see if there are any events near Indiana, and the rules allow these mods?

I can see the logic in "there aren't any of these out there and no one will know it's illegal so I can get away with it" mentality but really?

Last edited by solodon; 06-14-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solodon View Post
OK, I've looked at all the postings in this thread, as well as the mods made to the cars. I'll assume no one is running in the H street class of SCCA. If so the cars are so illegal I'd be ashamed to say I know you. As I've read the rules, (former Modified Category Advisory Committee member), and researched the SCCA rules for over 30 years I've found the following to be not allowed in Street. The other than stock dimension wheels, 4.44's, QC, to name 3 off the top of my head. Each of which I've considered and to add those moves the car to really lofty categories. What groups are you guys running in so I can see if there are any events near Indiana, and the rules allow these mods?

I can see the logic in "there aren't any of these out there and no one will know it's illegal so I can get away with it" mentality but really?
We are in FP for The Racer for AutoCross. For the SCCA Time Trials we are in S2.
Its an Unlimited Class!
So at around 250 crankshaft horse power and 2500 or more pounds we are in the same Hill Climb Class as several winged open wheel cars at 1200 pounds and 300-400 horse power!
Kiss my ass!
Tom Krynock!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 06-14-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: