How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Clint at PWR

Hey guys I just got back from PWR. Clint took a long look at my radiator and got some ideas rolling. They are thinking about a ring that will fit around the cap after the ears have been cut off. I'm testing my earless cap now to see if it remedies the leaky cap. He was seriously concerned and is going to fix the problem. He also said it is the efficiency of the 5 pass cooler that makes it superior, not it's fluid holding capacity. He said the cooler in their radiators is equal to a 12000 lb auxilary cooler. They were very nice and I had three guys around my car immediately brainstorming for a half an hour, that definately set my mind at ease.

Steve
Old 03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Keepin' the Faith!

I too spoke with Josh this morning about the slight leakage. He wanted to overnite a cap to me but as I'll be out of town til Sunday afternoon I suggested I try the "earless" Hohopirates cap as well. I got home to find the usual 1/2pt or so of missing coolant. I cut the ears off my old cap and tried it, to find the cap no longer leaks, but I now had a leak around the overflow barb. I replaced the OEM clamp with a stainless screw type and now have no leakage.

I agree with Clint that the capacity of the cooler is irrelevant. What matters is the efficiency and flow rate. I would venture to guess that my aux B&M cooler has very small actual fluid capacity as well, but since it's already in the circuit I left well enough alone. I believe we'll see the true benefits of this "upgrade" when triple digit heat becomes the norm this Summer.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The best way is for someone who already has a tranny temperature gauge tests the temps before and after installing the PWR rad.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I got a tranny temperature gauge, but I have not had time to install my radiator. I'll report on the temps after I install it.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohopirates
Hey guys I just got back from PWR. Clint took a long look at my radiator and got some ideas rolling. They are thinking about a ring that will fit around the cap after the ears have been cut off. I'm testing my earless cap now to see if it remedies the leaky cap. He was seriously concerned and is going to fix the problem. He also said it is the efficiency of the 5 pass cooler that makes it superior, not it's fluid holding capacity. He said the cooler in their radiators is equal to a 12000 lb auxilary cooler. They were very nice and I had three guys around my car immediately brainstorming for a half an hour, that definately set my mind at ease.

Steve
Did you ask them how it happened? How we all ended up with the exact flawed prototype sent to Chris? What did he say caused this to happen?

Its good to know they are concerned, but it would be nice to know why they were not concerned after the prototype.

Thanks for going out there.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-24-2005, 07:53 PM

Clint

Electro,
He said they did cut it down, and I believe him. Remember I saw the crate of radiators the second time I went down, but they were shipped unfinished. They did try to correct the problem, that's why it took another couple of weeks. I still am 100% satisfied with my radiator, and am glad that they are trying to resolve the issues. Another thing to remember the test car was halfway across the country.

Steve
Old 03-24-2005, 07:59 PM

Angry Any real proof available?

Perhaps I reacted a bit too hasty in my post last night concerning the fluid capacity of the tranny fluid portion of the PWR rad. This is a very important point for me. My stock rad is in great shape, the fluid is clean and as far as I know so is both sections of the stock rad. A basic rule I follow is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It seems from the experiences from many that heat removal is a weak point in the tranny/rad coolent system. That being said, is there any proof available that PWR's rad is more efficent at removing heat from not only the engine (I feel the stock rad does this job well) but more important to me, as I have said, the transmission as well?? Charts and graphs are good, mathmatics can be delt with as well I like mathcad for these sort of calculations, it makes good graphs.

I know nothing about the calculations needed or what values the PWR rad and stock rad possess. Or the flow rates of the fluids involved in our cars. I know this can quickly become a very complicated issue. However, I belive PWR may have a method that can show us all how much better their rad is than stock. I would dearly like to see these numbers/data as proof.

I entered into this with an open mind, I have trusted others to address these issues in the prototype phase. My trust is more than shaken, so, I am requesting whomever can/wants to address this request i.e. hard data on both rads.

My stock rad is in my car, my PWR rad is in the garage next to my car. As I live in an apartment I don't do any auto repair at home. I do however have friends who have nice areas to work on autos and more tools than I could ever wish to use. Normally I take my cars in for professional repair, if I must find out all about the PWR rad on my own, I will. I will tear it apart before I install it at this point with the conflicting information I have. Then send it back to PWR on my own dime, since it will prob leak a bit more than it does already.

I don't KNOW that the PWR rad is 5 pass in the tranny section, I don't KNOW it is 5 pass at all. I don't KNOW that the stock is single pass. I don't KNOW anything. Please, please I am asking for proof. This is supposed to be a group buy, with one person dealing with PWR so they don't have to answer the same questions 40 times. Must I call them too? Chris? I know yor busy but geeze lets look at the facts 40 X $450 = $18,000 You would think for that amount of coin they would produce a little data for us as a group...

John

P.S. Today is the 24th I think 7 days is about enough time to wait, If my requests can't be met, the PWR rad will meet up with a torch and I will see if it was a good deal after all or not, and for $450 plus shipping I will keep the information to myself, and buy one from ebay. I figure at least one will show up. If its not a group buy, then its everyone for themselves I suppose. Chris got his for free, PWR got 18,000 of our dollars and we got a leaky rad that don't fit at the bottom or the top... What else is not up to par? I intend to find out, one way or another.

P.P.S. AFBeefcake, I saw your post after I posted this, this is the sort of information I am looking for, I am pleased to hear you will post the information on the temp differences. I would like to ask for some data from you such as length of time to get to operating temp with stock and PWR rad, over the same roads, if you can make notes of conditions too that would give us all a nice baseline to work from. Such as weather conditions, and what not. The more info the better.

Hohopirates, Thanks for going out there and checking on the cap problem, sorry I did not mention ya in the post earlier . Can't have the rad leaking for sure, or damaging the hood. The fit and finish issues I am sure can be taken care of easily by PWR and the installer of the rad. The performace issues I covered above between the PWR rad and stock rad are as they are however and can't be changed by cutting something off or putting something on (other than aux tranny cooler, that I don't wish to install (the reason I purchased this PWR rad at all)).

J
1993 Subaru SVX (#006 01/93) 104k - To travel in style and grace.

Last edited by drxman; 03-24-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:55 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

My favorite quote from Military Academy that I will always remember, pretty much says why I won't get in on this buy....

"Work hard and do things right the FIRST TIME, or get punished" ~ Major Barnes (ORMA S-3)

He told my junior NCO's and Staff NCO's that when I was a new 2ndLt and incharge of Oak Ridge Military Academy's "Recruit Traning" detachment... I'll never forget it either... Ahh, those were the days

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 03-25-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:57 AM

Cynic Defined

H.L. Mencken defined a cynic as "Someone who smells flowers and looks around for a funeral". If you looked up the definition of cynic in Websters you'd find a picture of me. However, I may have had my photo displaced by drxman. If one of the administrators of the Network will allow Josh and Clint access so they can post a technical explication and photographic evidence, they will be able to answer ALL your concerns as they have mine. Like drxman, I too, have a properly functioning OEM rad and was looking for an elegant solution to the trans fluid cooling issue. I am now satisified on all counts and will take delivery when the cap and install issues are resolved.
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 03-25-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:35 PM

E-mail From Josh @pwr

Josh also called me at 9:00 AM to follow-up. They ARE trying. Please read the following:
* > Johnson,
* >
* > I was curious if you could post a message on the forum for me, as to the
* > admins are a little behind on approving my account.* We need to get the
word
* > out that we are looking for volunteers to test out our new cap, it is
just a
* > stock cap with the wings cut off and sanded down, but it is going to be
the
* > base design behind a new cap we are working no right now.* I have went
* > through my list of radiators we have shipped out, and through the
recipients
* > screen name, and cannot find someone who has installed it, and have
there
* > phone number.* They have either not installed it yet and I have there
phone
* > number, or they installed it and I do not have there phone number.* It
has
* > kind of turned into a big mess, we do not like to see our customers
unhappy
* > with our products and I would like to fix this problem as quickly as
* > possible.
* >
* > -----Original Message-----
* > From: W.G. Johnson [mailto:wgjohnson@hotmail.com]
* > Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 12:11 PM
* > To: sales@pwr-performance.com
* > Subject: RADIATOR PROBLEMS
* >
* > Clint,
* > Thot you should read this. This is the link to the SVX Worldwide Network
* > thread re: problems with your rads!
* >
> http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&goto=newpost
* >
* > If you have any difficulty accessing, call or e-mail me.
* > W.G. Johnson
* >
* >
* >

Last edited by WGJ; 03-25-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:15 PM

They want us as Beta testers again?

I thought we all just did that?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
i called them and left my number. I told them i have it installed. I talked to Josh about all of this. why would he say he doesnt hanve my number? Well anyway if you are reading this Josh, My name is Thomas Johnson I have spoken with you about this and suggested the changes that should be made.

TOm
Old 03-25-2005, 09:01 PM

What we need at this point, is to expedite their membership into the forum, so they have a voice, and we can resolve the concerns. Also may even resolve how all of this happened in the first place, which I sincerely feel we are entitled to know.

If any of the "powers to be" are out there, please activate their account, so they can talk to us 40 directly through this forum.

Thanks!!

Old 03-25-2005, 09:23 PM

Pwr

Yeah we need to activate an account for them. It isn't working with a middle man we need them to speak on their product to help resolve the issues.

Steve
Old 03-25-2005, 09:48 PM

Boy, im glad I skipped out on the beta test. I would like to be the first to buy version 1.1 provided all the problems are fixed. I think they should sell the first 20 new and improved rads at the same $450 group buy price.