SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2002, 05:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Speeding

I took my '92 SVX LSL up to 106 mph for a few seconds this morning on my way to work. The car was rock steady and a pleasure. It was on the entrance of the Blue Route I-476 N from I-95 where the road goes from 3 lanes to 2. I was in the left lane and needed to pass a truck before the road narrowed to 2 lanes.
It's a rotten design. The middle & left lanes become one lane.

Larry III
Old 05-23-2002, 06:27 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
106? That's all? I got up to 140 on the way home from the drag strip. I guess the '94s aren't governed, because it still had some left.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 05-23-2002, 07:16 AM

Speedy!

Once I had mine up to 142 mph.
I don't know if there is some power left to get up higher, but I had to come down at this speed.
In Austria the highways are very small and there are only a few points where you can go up that high.
It was kinda scary, cause I dropped a lorry at this speed and it seemed like he was going backwards

mfg hrc
Old 05-23-2002, 09:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
106? That's all? I got up to 140 on the way home from the drag strip. I guess the '94s aren't governed, because it still had some left.
All SVXs MY94 and later are electronically limited, but I don't remember to what speed.

Either way it's too fast for public roads.

Not that I'm totally innocent.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-23-2002, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt never drove mine fast like 130 fastest i went that was to tampa, i have to admit svx handlign like no other, soo soo stable at hi speed u can do a 100 not even know it,
Old 05-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
u can do a 100 not even know it,
That's what gets me in trouble. When 85 feels like 55, you're in for a world of hurt, or, at least, I am.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-23-2002, 10:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
It is my understanding that the 92's & 93's top out at 156 mph. The later models are governed to 143 mph. I do not remember where I read this it was 4 or more years ago.

When my '97 LSi was relatively new (10,000 miles) I took it up to speed early one Sunday morning. I hit ~137 mph on the speedo. It was rock solid and still had some power left.

I only went to 106 mph this morning to pass a truck before his lane merged into mine. After all I was on a public road and the car has 101, 500 miles on it. Also I still have 3 points left on my driver's license.

Finally, The speedos in most cars are not that accurate, so unless you use calibrated instruments (5th wheel), you really don't know how fast you are going.

Larry III
Old 05-23-2002, 10:54 AM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
It is my understanding that the 92's & 93's top out at 156 mph. The later models are governed to 143 mph. I do not remember where I read this it was 4 or more years ago.

When my '97 LSi was relatively new (10,000 miles) I took it up to speed early one Sunday morning. I hit ~137 mph on the speedo. It was rock solid and still had some power left.

I only went to 106 mph this morning to pass a truck before his lane merged into mine. After all I was on a public road and the car has 101, 500 miles on it. Also I still have 3 points left on my driver's license.

Finally, The speedos in most cars are not that accurate, so unless you use calibrated instruments (5th wheel), you really don't know how fast you are going.

Larry III
I've heard a couple accounts of 92s going 165+. There's no good way of confirming whether that is true or not. The fastest I've driven mine is 75 so far.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:08 PM

i let my bf take my car when he put the street glows underneath. i get to the shop with his explorer and he ran up to me with a big grin on his face. i had heard from another one of my friends that he was pulled over on the side of a major highway. "Kelli, i swear that i only thought that i was doin' 65.... i saw the cop looked down...and the speedo musta been off...it said 139.."

I almost kicked his a$$!

No ticket luckly..

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:58 PM
SVXPerformance

Cool

Most of you know I have only had my '92 LSL for a couple weeks now, but I was at an Import Show and I drove with some of my friends. One has a Acura RSX and the other has a '87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z w/ work.( One of the fastest cars in the town) ANyway on the way home we played around and I smoked the RSX at around 120. I was too scared to do anymore. I kept up the with the Shelby. I also got in a few road races with some rice burners and didn't need to go above 100MPH. I still want to be careful and I hate the cops. By the way my car is best looking in my school parking lot. I got a bunch of question for example the classic "WHat's up with the windows" and " That Is a '92 Subaru?" Well this weekend should be fun because we have local car meets(midnight racing kinda) in my area( suburbs of NYC) and my car is most popular the past few weeks. I got many challenges. Anyway, Later Guys!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:16 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

Larry III
I had mine up to 130 after I first got it.. there was still plenty of pedal left, But I'm old and getting wiser in my old age so I backed down.

Last week I was driving past one of those radar setups that let's you read your speed as you go by. My Speed-o-meter said 35 and the radar read 32..... I'm wondering if anybody has checked to see if the error remains the same or accumulates...? I running proxima 16's z rated and all that. Should be what the speedometer is calibrated for..
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 05-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

I had mine up to 130 after I first got it.. there was still plenty of pedal left, But I'm old and getting wiser in my old age so I backed down.

Last week I was driving past one of those radar setups that let's you read your speed as you go by. My Speed-o-meter said 35 and the radar read 32..... I'm wondering if anybody has checked to see if the error remains the same or accumulates...? I running proxima 16's z rated and all that. Should be what the speedometer is calibrated for..
Mitch, that seems to be consistent with what I find, and also, I think, Bill Moore (svxter). I think Huck explained the reason that the stock setup reads a bit faster. Something to do with the final drive ratio. According to him, now that he has the 5-Speed, he should be getting an accurate reading on his speedo. Huck, mind explaining again?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yeah, those midnight races are cool dude. Saturday night, early Sunday morning, Mother's Day, a couple local dip****s figured they were hotshoes and slammed a tree in front of the family's church. Two dead. Happy Mother's Day! Mom will be so happy that you gave her the gift that keeps on giving, every single Mother's Day for the rest of her life. Not to mention going back to church each week and seeing all of the bark missing from the tree, from the ground to about five feet up.

Get a clue, street racing is for dumbasses that are too chicken to do their stuff at the track. "Gee, If I go there somebody that actually knows what they're talking about might put me in my place." Grow up and quit killing our friends and their families.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

That's what gets me in trouble. When 85 feels like 55, you're in for a world of hurt, or, at least, I am.
I second that notion

I've had it up there before... and i don't need to get that fast again... at least for the next two years, until the points on my insurance disappear... It's no fun paying for a new SVX worth of insurance every year.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:00 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Yeah, those midnight races are cool dude. Saturday night, early Sunday morning, Mother's Day, a couple local dip****s figured they were hotshoes and slammed a tree in front of the family's church. Two dead. Happy Mother's Day! Mom will be so happy that you gave her the gift that keeps on giving, every single Mother's Day for the rest of her life. Not to mention going back to church each week and seeing all of the bark missing from the tree, from the ground to about five feet up.

Get a clue, street racing is for dumbasses that are too chicken to do their stuff at the track. "Gee, If I go there somebody that actually knows what they're talking about might put me in my place." Grow up and quit killing our friends and their families.
If they only took themselves out and not innocents, then I think that the Darwin factor should prevail!!!!! So go race on a deserted area away from traffic, houses and people that aren't racing! Make sure you have no safety equipment and leave your seatbelt undone! (stupid people should get out of the gene pool)
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .