How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 02:44 PM

got a faster car question

there is this guy i work with at the hospital who says he has a WRX. after doing a close investigation, i found out that it was just an impreza 2.5 (looked on the back of the bumper ) it does have stick and a large...noisey tailpipe, no other work done.

he wants to race. he wants to make a bet. he is totally full of himself (would love to shut him up for once);the race would be on a straight away, dry, 1/4 mile track.

could i bet him in my svx???

love to know everyone's opinions on this one

Kelli
Old 04-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Green1995SVX

I have no idea, but I will be waiting for the outcome of this. I would REALLY like to know myself!

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 02:56 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: got a faster car question

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
there is this guy i work with at the hospital who says he has a WRX. after doing a close investigation, i found out that it was just an impreza 2.5 (looked on the back of the bumper ) it does have stick and a large...noisey tailpipe, no other work done.

he wants to race. he wants to make a bet. he is totally full of himself (would love to shut him up for once);the race would be on a straight away, dry, 1/4 mile track.

could i bet him in my svx???

love to know everyone's opinions on this one

Kelli
WRXes are Imprezas. If he can shift right, he can beat you no problem. If you want to race him and beat the living crap out of him, have both cars at about 60mph. You should be able to take him on. WRXes do come with a tincan tail pipe and a turbo on them. Good Luck!

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: got a faster car question

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

WRXes are Imprezas. If he can shift right, he can beat you no problem. If you want to race him and beat the living crap out of him, have both cars at about 60mph. You should be able to take him on. WRXes do come with a tincan tail pipe and a turbo on them. Good Luck!

Lwin
She said it was a 2.5, Lwin.

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Re: got a faster car question

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

WRXes do come with a tincan tail pipe and a turbo on them.

Lwin
the tail pipe is an after market one (and really ugly at that)....and he says that he does not have turbo(he was bragging on how much he is going to spend on one)....so now i am a little confused here. i know that it is an impreza...2.5...but um..well..Lwin, why you gotta confuse me??? i don't think that it is a WRX..am i wrong? i know that a wrx is an impreza, but a special kind of impreza..and his car is a 2000 i think-wrx weren't in the making then. and doen't it say WRX on the trunk lid?

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Re: got a faster car question

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

the tail pipe is an after market one (and really ugly at that)....and he says that he does not have turbo(he was bragging on how much he is going to spend on one)....so now i am a little confused here. i know that it is an impreza...2.5...but um..well..Lwin, why you gotta confuse me??? i don't think that it is a WRX..am i wrong? i know that a wrx is an impreza, but a special kind of impreza..and his car is a 2000 i think-wrx weren't in the making then. and doen't it say WRX on the trunk lid?

Kelli
There are 2 levels of impreza. the 2.5 RS, and the WRX. I dont think Lwin read your whole post before responding.

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Hitchhikin'

Stock, the 2.5RS has 165 hp. The WRX is turbo and has 227 hp. Does it actually say 2.5RS on the back? If it doesn't have a turbo, it's not a WRX, and he's a moron for claiming it to be. There's also a couple lower models than that, but the main thing is if he has a turbo... A real WRX will instantly burn you, and even a stock stick 2.5 RS has a chance of beating an SVX if launched correctly, so it's really a toss up... I'd like to hear the outcome.

But it's definitely NOT a WRX if it lacks a turbo. So at least you got a shot. Just watch for little tricks... nitrous... make sure it REALLY doesn't have a turbo... and make sure you don't give him anything better than straight 1:1 odds. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2002, 04:30 PM
EverclearAtMSU

if it's the standard 2.5rs, you can kick the crap out of it. I tore one up this past weekend.

I'd take a quick look under the hood to see what he's got though. Keep in mind that thread about the kia w/ nitrus...a 2.5rs w/ nitrus would be no joke though.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
2.5RS

You should have no problem with a stock RS....like the guys just said, it has quite a few less horses but then it is lighter. But these days, you never know if some guy is just pulling your chain....or if he has stuffed a turbo and laughing gas under the hood. Such projects on RS Impreza's have appeared in SPORTS COMPACT CAR magazine.....
....I'm gonna guess that the only hot air is in the DRIVER of the Impreza... Don
Old 04-29-2002, 05:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
okay just for the record to clear up alot of confusion that seems to be going on. A 2.5 Rs looks nothing like a NEW AGE WRX, however the ones before 2002 look just like the 2.5RS EXCEPT they are only available in japan,europe. Unless this guy imported it from over there, I wouldn't worry about it. However the 2.5 rs will probably beat the svx off the line.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
okay just for the record to clear up alot of confusion that seems to be going on. A 2.5 Rs looks nothing like a NEW AGE WRX, however the ones before 2002 look just like the 2.5RS EXCEPT they are only available in japan,europe. Unless this guy imported it from over there, I wouldn't worry about it. However the 2.5 rs will probably beat the svx off the line.
Chris-

My neighbors have a 02 2.5 RS, and it looks identical to a wrx 'cept it doesnt have a hood scoop.

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 06:06 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
The 2002 2.5RS looks a lot like the WRX. The only difference is the badging and the lack of a hoodscoop.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:50 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix96

The 2002 2.5RS looks a lot like the WRX. The only difference is the badging and the lack of a hoodscoop.
Is there an echo in here?

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 06:53 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
I obviously hit reply before your message had shown up
Old 04-29-2002, 07:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The way I see it you have some choices. Strap on the big ones and see what shakes out or stuff a spud up his tailpipe while he's not looking and kick the crap outta him. Real racers leave little to chance. In the immortal words of Smokey Yunick (I think he said it ) "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying hard enough."