Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 10:51 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
I totally agree with Red 92. Learning on/driving AWD is more forgiving and also for me atleast made it easier to push other cars with no worries.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 02-15-2006, 11:24 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
I would not suggest anything with that much power for a teenager. When I was that young, I had a gutless Dodge Spirit 4-banger with a 3 speed auto. The fact that it was so slow probably saved my life on more than one occasion. Teenagers, especially boys, have a tendency to do really stupid things.

That said, definitely get something with a manual. Learn early. I wish I could have.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 02-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Definately get something with a standard transmission. Learning how to drive while driving a standard will leave your son much more well versed in driving any other kind of car. If I may be so bold as to suggest allowing him to learn how to drive a 5 speed truck. Thats what I started out with, I am much better off nowadays.

John, if you never beat on ur car why is it you always feel the need to go WOT down the end of my street EVERY time you are here

Tom
Old 02-15-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
John, if you never beat on ur car why is it you always feel the need to go WOT down the end of my street EVERY time you are here

Tom
I didn't say I don't beat on it, I said I don't speed. Only speeding I do is on the parkway, and even at that I'm reasonable, I rarely break 80.

Besides, who are you to talk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
I don't street-race. I don't speed around town. If you know me, I romp on it sometimes, but I'm responsible.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny
I would not suggest anything with that much power for a teenager. When I was that young, I had a gutless Dodge Spirit 4-banger with a 3 speed auto. The fact that it was so slow probably saved my life on more than one occasion. Teenagers, especially boys, have a tendency to do really stupid things.

That said, definitely get something with a manual. Learn early. I wish I could have.
+1
i was a teenage moron, like any other tennage guy, and a powerful car would have been the death of me.

i'd suggest getting something SAFE - ignore his pleas for styling and performance.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
my SVX was my 4th car, I think it is not a good first car b/c of the massive repair costs. The insurance premium unless you have liability only is very high. The fact that the SVX needs Premium fuel is also not something you want out of a first car.

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 02-15-2006, 01:24 PM

I am 16 with an svx and it is my first car. I have just come to the conclusion that it is not a sports car. So far so good. I would recommend making him pay insurance at the least though to give him some pride in owning the car.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
+1
i was a teenage moron, like any other tennage guy, and a powerful car would have been the death of me.

i'd suggest getting something SAFE - ignore his pleas for styling and performance.
Yes, something that doesn't make you want to drive fast is a good teenage car. The SVX makes you want to drive fast.

Also, make him buy the car with his own money. He will treat it better. My first car was a 76 LTD. I learned quickly that bad driving leads to unwanted repairs.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 02-15-2006, 01:41 PM

SVX is a great car, but it for touring, weekend and showing off (not racing).
1st car nope, 2nd or 3rd yes and also depends on the driver's behavior.
sid
Old 02-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
+1
i'm still a teenage moron
fixxored!!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
I didn't say I don't beat on it, I said I don't speed. Only speeding I do is on the parkway, and even at that I'm reasonable, I rarely break 80.

Besides, who are you to talk?

I, along with everyone else, knows I beat the death out of my cars. I just bring them back to life when necessary. Beating on it at low speeds is worse that high speeds, does more damage to the drivetrain

Tom
Old 02-15-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I, along with everyone else, knows I beat the death out of my cars. I just bring them back to life when necessary. Beating on it at low speeds is worse that high speeds, does more damage to the drivetrain

Tom
As long as we agree.

Besides, if it doesn't break, there's no reason to upgrade
Old 02-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...Svx is my second car. Started out with an 89 fleetwood. Thing was slow as hell..but whatever. It was actually less safe then the svx by far,larger, and tougher to park. I had done most repairs myself, and learned a great deal about the car through research and experiance. (mabey you should giude your son to the site to read up)
I think that if you were considering getting your teenager a porche (and from what it looks like...your grunting all the costs) then the svx would be alot less expensive. Insurance costs will be about 250 a month for basic coverage if you find a decent plan. I am not sure what you would pay for porche.
I would just make him pay for everything. If he is responsible for paying the car, the insurance(on his OWN plan), all the DMV fees,and repairs / maitinence, odds are he wont have money to pay for speeding tickets and court fees...So he probly wont speed.I'd take the wooden spoon before the silver spoon, especially with a BIG responsibility like driving.
Best of luck making your decision though. Any other questions Im sure the forum will answer.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 02-15-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:27 PM

My first car when I was 16 was a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo with 4 wheel drive and an automatic. It didnt guzzle gas (but didnt get great mileage either), but was perfect, because it had enough power for anythign you would NEED it for (such as getting onto a highway or passing) but was a small truck, so I felt no need to attempt to race people. The 4 wheel drive compensated in the snow, The automatic transmission helped me learn the rules of the road, and the basics of roads and highways, rather then having to shift and give attention to that. But it was perfect for me, and gave me a much better background in driving. I learned to drive stick from other cars that my parents had at the time, and even though I rarely drive stick now, I wont ever forget. Now im not saying go get a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo (although in the 2 years I had it, I never once had a single repair, even at 100,000 miles), but a small truck with 4X4 and an automatic might be a better choice then an SVX.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I wouldn't recommend the SVX for one reason and that's the cost of repairs(usually lots of them)and the fact it's not very big. My first car was a 87 Bonneville and it being big probally saved my butt on more than one occasion(pesky telephone poles).
I'd recommend a bigger vehicle for a new driver because once you can drive a big heavy car well, You can drive anything well. My next was a 89 cougar(POS!) and a 73 Chevelle Malibu Laguna 4DR.(the BIG car).then I graduated to speed when I was 19 and got my GTA. After 4 years of driving that beast I got my SVX. These cars are my idea of a perfect SVX trainers course because you get experience with FWD,RWD,and how heavy cars handle. Good Luck.

BTW, My first car was actually a 1973 Firebird Formula 350, But my parents wouldn't let me drive it when I threw the cam in it.