How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 01:49 AM
sti'lin

Is an SVX a good first car for a teenager?

Hi, I am new to the network but not new to Subaru's. I currently own a 2004 STI and a 1995 Impreza L. I was considering buying my son a used porsche 944, but that was before my wife reminded me of our great NJ auto insurance premiums.

So having great success with my current and previous subarus. I started looking at the SVX. I have never driven one before but have always liked them.

Is the required maintenance equivalent for other cars this age? (My 1995 has 175,000 miles and still runs great).

Is the transmission the biggest problem with these cars? And can you tell the tranny is going bad during a test drive?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
my 944 was my 3rd car, and the SVX my 4th. i would not reccomend a porsche as a first car..... too many costs, i have been lucky with my SVX, as the only work its needed in the 8 months of owning it was a paint job(due to a freak storm), other than that, its been great, as long as the car isn't thrashed it should be ok
Old 02-15-2006, 02:18 AM
One teal and One yellow

Welcome.

How old is your son? If your son is a sensible kid and won't abuse the power and speed, In my opinions, this car is not that expensive to get now but expensive to repair and take to wait on parts to work on.

You should test drive one and also ask your son to test drive and see what do you guys think. Maybe if you buy one, you may drive it more than your son and give him your Impreza.

If you get one with good taken care of, you should not worry too much. Do a search and there's a list to tell you what to check on while buying an SVX. Yes, you could probably tell if the tranny is not good while test driving. Do some search and read more thread and you will know more.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti'lin
Is the required maintenance equivalent for other cars this age? (My 1995 has 175,000 miles and still runs great).

Is the transmission the biggest problem with these cars? And can you tell the tranny is going bad during a test drive?
I think the trouble with an SVX is that it may be difficult to find one that hasn't had the snot thrashed out of it. Land one that's been driven responsibly and maintained well and I'd guess your costs would rival any Suby of like age and mileage. That said, I don't know that I'd want to buy one for my kid. And I'm thinking you'll find the insurance rates for a teenaged SVX pilot will rival those for that 944.

I've put over 30,000 miles on my SVX in 2+ years of daily use. The car came to me with bad wheel bearings, a cracked radiator, and leaky hoses. BUT... it was in decent overall shape and had a documented service history. With those items squared-away, the only abject part failure I've experienced has been the crank pulley, and I noticed it on the way out and got another before it failed completely. Aside from that, my only costs have been for tires, fluid/filter changes, and wear items that would beg replacement on any car with over 135,000 miles (because I don't like surprises). And as with any high-mileage car, hey, I might have to drop a grand or two on her tomorrow. And I would.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 02-15-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:40 AM

Come take mine for a test drive!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30898
Old 02-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Old Guy

Honda Civic Coupe.
Preston
Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Honda Civic Coupe.
Preston
Better aftermarket if the kid gets the ricer bug. Cheaper repair parts when he meets that first guardrail with a side sweep.

And it won't be teal.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 02-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Solution

Give him the STI and you drive the SVX. You will both be happy. Actually save an SVX and don't buy one for the kid. In the long run you will save a lot of money and he will be happier. It is expensive to maintain particularly if driven by a teenager and does not drive like a teenager car. It is a Touring Car that is best on the highway for longer trips.

I agree that buying him a Honda would be the best bet for him and probably you.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
this is a good choice, an SVX with a 5mt

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Well i cant say no. My svx is my first car (well second if you count the 71 dodge demon my daddy bought me then ripped the motor out of 2 years ago.

The SVX is a great car but its also fairly powerful and if he's the type that would try to show off to his buddies i'd say no. If i didnt love my car more than anything else i own you can bet i'd be playing in it and taking some huge risks. I'd get him a civic just to be sure he didnt have all the power the SVX has to offer in the beginning.

Mine ended up needing a new tranny 3 months after i bought it, the suspension had been worked on by some moron who left out a spacer and just stuck it on top so i had to remove all most of the front suspension components to get it fixed after the tranny was replaced. The tranny wasnt fixed right and now i'm having a whole slew of new issues.

Also be sure he likes it. I didnt know if i did or didnt when my daddy bought me one and lucky for him i fell in love. I've ment some people who hate them. If he hates it he wont drive it like he would if he loved it.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:52 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I love my car but would not recommend it for a teenager. High upkeep and definitely can't neglect maintenence or it will come back to haunt you.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Well Svxfiles should chime in here. He got an SVX for each of his teenage boys....

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 02-15-2006, 09:36 AM

Hey guys, I'm still a teenager. I've had my SVX since I was 17. I'm 19 now.

As many of you know, I've become very well versed in these cars (great learning experience) and have managed to maintain my SVX properly, myself, on a low paying job in retail.

I'm not the ordinary kid, but it just goes to show if you have a passion for the car, anything's possible. Just keep an open mind.

Another thing, I payed for my car myself. My parent's didn't buy it. I saved up for almost a year and drove up to Long Island with cash in my pocket for the car. I think that's one of the reasons I take such good care of my car.

When my front differential grenaded, I took the initiative to put it up on jackstands and figure out what was wrong with it. It was my $1600 that bought my 5mt and my fifty hours that was spent installing it.

I don't street-race. I don't speed around town. If you know me, I romp on it sometimes, but I'm responsible.

The SVX is a very unique, impressive car and though there isn't much aftermarket for it there are plenty of mods that can be done and the car is already far from a slouch from the factory.

The AWD is very impressive (especially on the 5mt) and I feel more comfortable in my car than anything else I've driven, regaurdless of weather conditions.

It may not be the right car for anyone, but it's the right car for me, and many other teens on this board.

-John

Last edited by AvPPoW; 02-15-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:28 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
It wouldn't be a terrible first car. But an older Impreza or even an XT6 would be better for him. I started my Subaru life with an 88 XT6, loved it! Or even better, get him an older GL wagon with 4WD and he'll have a bomb proof easy to work on classic. All 3 of those Subies will be a little less for him to maintain and insurance wouldn't rape you either.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 02-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Hitchhikin'

To be honest, I think an AWD SVX is a good option for a teenager, as long as they (or you) can cover the cost of any major repairs (engine/tranny). An AWD SVX would help compensate for any reckless moves that the teenager might make, and its weight would help keep the kid safe in the case of an accident. Of course, that all depends on how you want to raise your kid as a driver; if you want them to really learn to drive, then I'd rather buy 'em a RWD stickshift car, but if you simply want to keep them safe, the SVX is a great choice.