Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 PM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_fwdsvx
om;
Any recommendations? Have checked the local Navy Exchange and they can get the Firestone (I know - Bridgestone) Fusion,...

Thanks for your help.

Tom

All I can say about the Fuzion ZRI tires is if it is at all possible that you will even be touching the snow don't do it... I tried a set of them and within 30 minutes hit a snowbank and almost another car... I know summer tires, but I thought they'd be better than my balding all season tires... I was very wrong.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
They way I see it is if the better tires save you from even a single accident then they've already paid for themselves.
exactly.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:19 AM
SVX Owner

Registered SVX
Snow?

Tom (TomsSVX); Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they handle well in the snow. Don't get much around here (Memphis, TN area) so that should not be a factor, but nice to know just in case. What snow we get is usually on top of ice so I try to stay off the roads until they are cleared. County is not really prepared for ice/snow so sometimes I'm stuck at home for a few days.

Crusader; Thanks for the review. I didn't care much for the look of the Fuzion anyway. You have convinced me not to go with that one.

I am 90% decided on the Cooper Lifeliner SLE Touring tires (Thanks, Darrell). This runner deserves good shoes. I was real happy with Coopers on my Ranger extended cab and those little 13" things had to work hard to put about 1000 miles/week on that truck. I have taken this car on several longer drives and I'm convinced it is the best touring car I have ever driven. Sure glad it has the cruise control. Hardest thing about driving this car is keeping the speed down to the limit! (Second hardest is adjusting the FWD takeoff. It is amazing how much faster it wants to launch compared to the AWD.)

Thanks to all for your input.

Tom
FWD SVX drivers know torque-steer!
'99 Outback SUS, 2.5L, Winestone (Burgundy/Gray) [Daughter Killed it]
'02 Outback SUS VDC, 3.0L, Green/Gray [Spouse's; Died at 500,000+]
'18 Legacy w/eyesight, Blue [Spouse's]
'94 Subaru Sambar KS-4, White [Farm UTV]
'94 Ford Ranger Extended Cab, Tomato Red
Old 02-18-2006, 11:08 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I've been very happy with my Toyo Proxes 4. Awesome wet and dry performance and very quiet. Good looking tire too. I bought them after reading tons of positive reviews on 1010tires and on NASIOC. I found a place that was selling them for a little less than $100/tire.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:25 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Stock size, 22550/r16 but they actually have a wider tread area than the Pirellis. They are mounted on the RX7 wheels and have a tread wear rating of 400. They costed me $109 each plus $50 for the mount and balance, all in all not a bad deal

Tom
Thanks for your reviews. What spd rating are they? H or V? I'm more impressed of your review after reading they're 400 treadwear. If I can find the deal less than 80 a piece with Toyo or Falken, I think I'd go with them with no doubt.

As I told Tom and Chike at Jason's 4.44 swap on saturday, I got a set of 205-50-15 on my MX-3 V6. I love them, they're the cheapest I found in town and cheaper than any webs I searched but I'm really impressed with its dry, wet and snow performance. They look cool, they're "fate" tires made in Argentina, it's rated as H, temp is A, traction is A but amazingly the treadwear 280!!! Very sticky and soft. Compare to my former Toyo Proxes 320AA V rating, they handle as good or better but way cheaper, only less than 60 a piece. I would love to have them on my SVX but too bad they don't offer the size....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-18-2006, 12:27 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
update on the review. I give them an 8 out of 10 in the snow. These tires are amazing. Too bad I couldn't have more fun drifting, I got too much traction

Tom
Tom, you need to make more horsepower so you can start drifting....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-19-2006, 01:25 AM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
Getting a set of Hankook Ventus V4ES H105 tires put on on Monday. One of the few tires in the "Ultra High Performance All-Season" category. I'll let you guys know how they work out for me.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:49 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
update on the review. I give them an 8 out of 10 in the snow. These tires are amazing. Too bad I couldn't have more fun drifting, I got too much traction

Tom
You got too much traction in the snow?
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Re: Cooper Zeon Sport review

Sorry to bring this thread back alive...But I bought the same tires, except mine is the A/S Z rated 225/50ZR16. (These are All season Ultra high performance tires, and they do have the directional arrows so you cant mount them incorrectly,lol ) I'm very pleased with the way it handles the road, wet and dry...It's been really rainy here recently, and we had a little bit of snow...and NO complaints so far. I love the Grip esp when cornering and the thread pattern seemed well thought out. I'll post additional reviews once we get more snow.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Tom I have a set of the Zeon 2xs tires on my blackie. Well, I did when you saw it anyway. I have my winter tires/rims back on now, but they are great tires, and I really do like them. Plus I got them at cost and I mounted them myself since we are a Cooper dealer.

245/40zR17 and they were like $113 each. That, however, IS not the price you would normally pay, since they were at dealer cost, but I was very happy with them, and I'll definitely be keeping them. I've been very impressed by their dry and wet traction, but they do tramline a bit more. However, I attribute that to the 40 series sidewall and not the tire itself.

Anyway... +1 for Cooper tires.

I still like plenty of other tires, but I just like these too.

Oh wow... I just realized this thread has been around longer than I have! lol sorry!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Tom I have a set of the Zeon 2xs tires on my blackie. Well, I did when you saw it anyway. I have my winter tires/rims back on now, but they are great tires, and I really do like them. Plus I got them at cost and I mounted them myself since we are a Cooper dealer.

245/40zR17 and they were like $113 each. That, however, IS not the price you would normally pay, since they were at dealer cost, but I was very happy with them, and I'll definitely be keeping them. I've been very impressed by their dry and wet traction, but they do tramline a bit more. However, I attribute that to the 40 series sidewall and not the tire itself.

Anyway... +1 for Cooper tires.

I still like plenty of other tires, but I just like these too.

Oh wow... I just realized this thread has been around longer than I have! lol sorry!
Yea when I burn out both sets of RE070's I will likely be getting the same tires on my bbs's... I loved those things

Tom
Old 12-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Just an update:
First snow storm this year, 30 miles going home from work, Excellent traction! I would give this tire a 9 out of 10 for moderate snow performance. This was mixed snow/ sleets /slush and snow was heavily coming down the whole time. BTW, I got home and went around the block a few times where the snow was unplowed and streets un salted = no problems. I love this tires and my SVX
Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Getting a set of Hankook Ventus V4ES H105 tires put on on Monday. One of the few tires in the "Ultra High Performance All-Season" category. I'll let you guys know how they work out for me.

I would AVOID those tires!!! Hankook tires are generally speaking over priced. Not to mention my brother had a set and the tires are super hard and have very poor treadwear!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuberNatural View Post
I would AVOID those tires!!! Hankook tires are generally speaking over priced. Not to mention my brother had a set and the tires are super hard and have very poor treadwear!!!
I have a set of Hankook iPikes on my RX, this is the 2nd season.
Amazing tires and I got all 4 for $150.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:00 PM

Registered SVX

right no i'm running some k106's. I didnt say they were all bad. just generally over-priced for what they offer. But the ventus is just an awful tire from first hand exp...