Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-14-2005, 11:45 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
22k sounds like a great deal for a new one. I did a search online earlier and saw an msrp of $34k for a 92 LSL. Guess I should have looked at more than one site?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
Your car now is 13 years old. Things are starting to wear out.
Starting to wear out? I'd say that every SVX out there has at least one part of the suspension that is completely worn out.

I've found more deteriorated suspension parts on my 5 speed project than I have found in good condition. Once it is done, every piece of the suspension will have been replaced with new and it should handle like new.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
22k sounds like a great deal for a new one. I did a search online earlier and saw an msrp of $34k for a 92 LSL. Guess I should have looked at more than one site?
Yeah, I think 34K was the MSRP of the 96-97
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanS
See, this is not the first time Subaru has tried to move upmarket by introducing a flagship U.F.O. with an astronomical price. [ Those with good memories will recall the SVX "sports car" of 1992-97, though most enthusiasts have happily forgotten.

Subaru must have amnesia, too, or it would not have chosen to enter a crowded segment with a vehicle that is neither noteworthy nor novel, a sin all too similar to the one it committed with the SVX.
Who is that @$$H*le reporter who wrote this about MY CAR !!! jsut give me his direct email and I will show him what the SVX means to us, SINNERS !!!

That is Sinners if we drive other than that car

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Would you buy an SVX for $34,000 back in the day? I spent $3,500 on mine now and with all the troubles it's having, I kind of agree with this article. Plus they only run 15's in the quarter mile, have below average handling, and not so great gas mileage. Don't get me wrong I really do love the looks and feel while sitting in the car, but there are plenty better ones out there.

I paid 1800 for mine plus tax. Its power steering didnt work when i bought it, 2000 miles after i bought it the tranny died, the front suspension is all screwed up b/c someone decided to 'fix' it, and the tranny sometimes wont shift from park, but yes i would spend 34,000 dollars for it. simply for that feeling that i am flying when i'm doing 45 mph. I love my car more than any other i cant imagine anyway to improve it except an everlasting tranny.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
I loved the SVX when it first came out. It was way out of my league at the time, but to my delight I own one now. I like the Tribeca very much also, hopefully in ten years I can buy one at the bargain price that I paid for the SVX.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
The SVX is a little slower than many cars today... but not bad when considering its weight and fact that it is AWD. Just doing a manual swap seems to put it close to on par with many on accelaration.

I'd have to say it handles well above average... at least if you have decent tires. I can hardly recall cars that I've been in that handled better. The body may roll, but that doesn't really indicate how well a car handles.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 12-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Let him think what he wants. There will always be doubters so why try and fight them. If he thinks the SVX was a flop.... He was right. It was a huge msitake by Subaru but we are only now reaping the benefits. Listen, our cars are cool and nice and sleek and sexy but they are not reliable and they are not worth 40k. I am sorry to tell u this. I mean hell I love my SVX and I loved the 2 owned before this one.... but they are not for everyone like a honda or a mitsu

Tom
Old 12-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Sold. :'-(

Quote:
..."a vehicle that is neither noteworthy nor novel"...
He needs to read the very large book I have on the history and development of the car.

If he had any sense of automotive history whatsoever, he'd realize all the "firsts" that the SVX provided the industry, and the rarity and desireability of the cars.

Automotive journalism is dead.

No longer is a sense of automotive history - or even knowledge about the engineering behind them - required to be considered some odd source of knowledge. Knowledge of what, I ask?

Anyone with a community college degree and a panchant for dribbling all over whatever the manufacturers desire (see the same journalist's "How I learned to love the mini-van" article) can sign right up with any major newspaper, magazine or broadcast provider and begin blathering on about nothing to a very large audience.

Raxles front axles
Old 12-14-2005, 01:20 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Let him think what he wants. There will always be doubters so why try and fight them. If he thinks the SVX was a flop.... He was right. It was a huge msitake by Subaru but we are only now reaping the benefits. Listen, our cars are cool and nice and sleek and sexy but they are not reliable and they are not worth 40k. I am sorry to tell u this. I mean hell I love my SVX and I loved the 2 owned before this one.... but they are not for everyone like a honda or a mitsu

Tom
Couldn't agree more with that. Your absolutley right....our cars are in no way super fast and reliable. Not alot of them left in good condition either. They are wonderful cars to own and a blast to drive as well. Its more appreciated today then it was back then.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The guy does have a point, though the overall performance of this vehicle is astounding even today, and my opinions are based on my vehicle which has never functioned to the best of it's abilities.

My suspension is still good though.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.

My suspension is still good though.
Mine was great when i bought it...but now is slowly rotting to crap. The strut mounts are junk on my car.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
To be honest, the SVX is not a sports car and that is where the article is dead wrong. Yes the SVX is "sporty" but it is in no sense a sports car. It is a hot coupe that was made for a "sporty" but luxurious ride. If FHI wanted to make the SVX a sports car it would have been capable of 270 hp. out of the box and they would have made it available with a brand new 5/6 speed made to handle the power. It is simple as this, you do not own a sports car if u own an SVX you own a luxury coupe

Tom
Old 12-15-2005, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
It is simple as this, you do not own a sports car if u own an SVX you own a luxury coupe

Tom
I agree. Many of the stated "shortcomings" of the SVX arise from trying to make it into something that it isn't, and was never meant to be.

dcb
Old 12-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Sold. :'-(

I don't know that I would call the SVX a "sports" car, but not because of the output.

Nissan had the NA version of the 300ZX (definitely a "sports" car) with only 222hp, while our cars have 230.

The SVX was always conceived as a "GT" car.
GT cars, are intended to balance aesthetics, comfort/luxury and performance. Add to that the ability to run at high speeds over long distances with no probelms.

When pushed, the SVX doesn't even get into 4th gear until over 120mph.
I would bet one in good running condition would run 90mph all day long without a complaint.
Raxles front axles