Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Certified Porschephile

I'm gonna go with Andy on this one. ford quality is in the gutter and have ruined every premier make they get thier hands on. I wouldn't buy a Volvo.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX

can you put the zinc coating by yourself or ask someone to do that?

that's not cool. can't tell the damage needs $1500? not US dollars right? good that you luck full coverage?

someone is really irresponsible. or if they get drunk, they should not drive!! my cars got hit too - hit-and-run - and i wouldn't even know who did that
I'll have to look into the zinc coating. Insurance estimate is CAD$1500+ but it will be more because the bodyshop told me it couldn't be fixed in the alotted time. I only have to pay the deductable ($200)...that is unless I can find that vehicle that hit my car.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So to add insult to injury, somewhere on my trip around the country I cracked both a headlight assembly as well as one of my JDM clear corners.

I'm tempted to get the clear headlight kit now but I have no idea what to do about the clear corner. I doubt my insurance will offer to replace it.

Are there any for sale right now in the US?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
how much are stock orange corners? they're probably just as expensive... or you could get the corners that match the clear headlights

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Sue isn't really striped

Ouch - sorry to hear that some ahole messed up your car.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:15 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Sorry to hear about your SVX, David. Hope it is repaired to your satisfaction. Pisses me off how someone can farg up your car and inconveniences you and the best we can hope for is a decent repair. What about the loss of time, the frustration, the inconvenience? What about the fact that our cars will never be the same and will likely not be worth the same when we sell them? Why should we have to fight to have a factory panel replaced so it doesn't rot in a years time? The system sucks. Accidents happen but hit-n-runs are inexcusable.

Best of luck. Just remember that it could always be worse.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Meow!

More insults:

On my last trip (skiing) I got a new stone chip in my windshield (for a total of 2). As well, on my way home on that trip the tensioner pulley for the alternator/PS belt seized.

I took the belt off for the 1 hr drive I still had to go. Unfortunately the dealership doesn't stock them (doesn't seem to match any other Subaru parts either). I can't get a new one until next week.

I took the pulley off and the ball bearings all fell out in my hand as the bearing itself fell apart.

The belt is obviously shot.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Man o Man, hope things turn around for you soon!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Meow!

As an update, my dad replaced the bearing in the existing pulley long before the dealership could get me a replacement.

Just in time for me to take it in to the shop to get the door/quarter panel fixed.

So what are people selling new/used rear quarter panels for?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

I took the belt off for the 1 hr drive I still had to go. .
Interesting! So, the battery will go for at least an hour without the alternator. Do you have a stock battery or a optima or anything else special in there?

RSVX and I were wondering how far you could go with no alternator a while back when his was shot.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Interesting! So, the battery will go for at least an hour without the alternator. Do you have a stock battery or a optima or anything else special in there?

RSVX and I were wondering how far you could go with no alternator a while back when his was shot.
This is the second time I've had to go this far without an alternator. My battery is a normal battery with around 850CCA. After about 1.5 hours total driving the voltage measured at the lighter was 10.8V and I could still start the car without a problem.

I also used as few accessories as possible including climate control, turn signals, brakes...
Old 01-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Meow!

Oh yeah, one more update. The stone chip in the windshield has started to crack. It's in the top left corner of the windshield and has only moved less than 2 inches.

It's in the bodyshop now getting the rear quarter panel repaired. They're also painting my 97 grille for an extra $50. Hopefully the windshield doesn't continue to crack from going inside and outside too much.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:55 PM

You can try one of two things to stop the crack from spreading more: 1) Crazy Glue or 2) Clear Nail Polish
Run a line of either along the entire length of the crack and then a little past either edge (not much, just a little)
This should stop (or at the very least slow down) the crack from spreading further (I used the nail polish on an S-10 Blazer years ago and the cracked stoped spreading)
Old 01-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Meow!

We're getting a lot of snow right now...I REALLY miss my SVX!

They gave me a 2002 Civic (dis)courtesy car.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Meow!

Update.

As to anyone paying attention to who's in the chat room you will have noticed I got my car back.

Picked it up saturday to be precise.

Now the bad news: They didn't do a very good job on the repair. The panel is rippled and slightly pushed in in one spot. I pointed this out to the bodyshop and they agreed to redo it in the spring.

I also had them paint my 97 grille. They were initially going to charge me $50 to do so but the same guy who looked at my car waived the cost.

They are a nice place for offering to fix their work (I doubt they had a choice) but with a really good shop it would have been done right in the first place.

They also cleaned my car inside and out for me.