How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-01-2004, 01:36 AM
After 200, it's all the same.

The SVX broke loose

A few nights ago I was heading down the interstate to meet up with some friends in Boise. Well, the approach for my exit was nearing and I head off into the exit lane. I had no previous experience with this exit ramp and headed into it at the recommended entry speed. As I start turning I notice that it is becomming tighter and tighter and if I didn't slow down quick, this would get real heavy real quick. As I begin firmer braking, the rear end of the SVX breakes loose. So far to date, this was the coolest feeling in the world since owning the SVX. Nice little 10 foot slide was all and I NEVER once felt any loss of control.

Those little Japanese people sure know how to build a Subaru.

Turns out that some drunk driver had careened off to the side of the road that the cornering speed sign was on and knocked it over.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted, my SVX drift action, that is.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 08-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Get the feeling I thought maby it got out of it's cage and went for a midnight drive or somethin
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:37 AM
BoondockSVX

Does this qualify as street racing?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Does this qualify as street racing?
Back off Clarence, your slip is showing.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I've only once experienced a rear-wheel drift in my SVX back when I first bought my car and my awd was working...

I was carving up some twisty back-roads and went into a corner a little too hot. I felt the rear wheels step out but I never once felt a loss of control either. These cars were very well designed and built!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-03-2004, 10:12 AM
TorG0d

Every once in a while I take the Loomis exit a little fast and oversteer into the dirt area in the middle of the loop. Talk about drift action. I just make sure my windows are up
Old 08-04-2004, 07:42 AM

So heres the deal no street racing action will be posted on the svx forum but we constantly discussing ways to make the car faster,I'm slowly turning back into a browser again.People will street and drag race and have the right to do so if they get to information from this site that makes there car faster,its like you're chosing the lesser of two evils.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by poweredx2
So heres the deal no street racing action will be posted on the svx forum but we constantly discussing ways to make the car faster,I'm slowly turning back into a browser again.People will street and drag race and have the right to do so if they get to information from this site that makes there car faster,its like you're chosing the lesser of two evils.
Obversations:

1) Not everyone here is interested in speed.

2) Accessing information on go-fast mods (real or imagined) affords no one a "right" to race on public roadways.

3) It is possible to drive an SVX in a spirited and thoroughly enjoyable manner without presenting undue risk to others.

respectfully,
dcb
Old 08-04-2004, 09:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Obversations:

1) Not everyone here is interested in speed.

2) Accessing information on go-fast mods (real or imagined) affords no one a "right" to race on public roadways.

3) It is possible to drive an SVX in a spirited and thoroughly enjoyable manner without presenting undue risk to others.

respectfully,
dcb
The last point sums it up nicely, thanks.

Poweredx2, we're through discussing street racing and our ban on it. Yes, there is a fine line between 'spirited driving' and 'street racing.' We're aware of how fine it is. If you feel you need clarification, feel free to PM one of the moderators. We're tired of bickering about it publicly.

Thank you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-04-2004, 09:38 AM

Well driving a 3600lb car spirited will get you a careless and wreckless ticket real fast,but wait as long as you do it out of sight its ok,same as street racing both or illegal.I don't approve of street racing,I'm just bringing up a topic the do happen and people like to read about it.The same as last week when I ran 13.2 it was no big deal to me but other people wanted to hear and know how it was done simply because we all have the same car.We all know that those who do the spirited driving thing will jump on that civic when it tries to pass,now we have something new spirited street racing,now thats dangerous.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:27 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
I can get the rear end loose in the wet all I want. never done it on the dry (to keep from killing the bearings mostly). If I'm taking a long sweeper in the wet and I lift enough, the rear end swings out slowly and predictably. a little countersteer and we're back in business.... or just ride it out .

another feeling I love (with respect to FWD cars like my crx) is getting ON the gas to get the tires to stop screaming. if I'm going into a turn and my fronts are starting to yell (Proxes FZ4s ), my first reflex in the CRX would be to lift and slow down. in the SVX I just roll onto the throttle and she quiets right down . from the Impreza to the Legacy SS to this car, it's one of my favorite feelings... throttle doesn't give you oversteer or understeer for the most part. it just "fixes" the car's attitude.

I want to go hug my car.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 08-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Peach

spirits

My ol papy used to tell me everything "in moderation", besides where I live we get 5 months of snow out of the year, slippin and slidin gets nerve racking, but then again fun is fun

92 Pearlie 146k I worry about the car like it was one of my kids.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The control of this vehicle in uncertain conditions is indeed amazing at times.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:18 PM
BoondockSVX

Okay, now I'm confused.

Posting about driving the SVX 'spiritedly' without risking harm to others is okay, correct?

Posting about street racing is not allowed because the mods of this board feel that it risks harm to others, correct?

What if someone posts about driving an SVX spiritedly without racing another car, but IS risking harm to others? It's not street racing, but would you allow it?

And following that, what if you WERE racing someone not stupidly, or aggressively, but merely driving a car spiritedly in pursuit of another car.... without risking others.... then what?

I still think my camaro thread should be unlocked, it was interesting to see an SVX against a musclecar.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Risk to others = stupid, so we'll just rule that out.

Spirit =/= thirst for speed or recklessness.

Take for example the intital topic of this thread.
The SVX broke loose, it was not intentionally manuevered in a manner dangerous to others or the driver.

Feel free to post about spirited driving.
Take it too far and feel free to have mods down your back.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.