Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Superbeast

I can buy the speed part of the story, I got a ticket for 75 in a 35 and passing in a no passing zone..IT cost me $650, but 60 in a 25 isn't all that crazy. There are alot of roads in RI that are WAY under rated for speed. It all depends on the road. As for the cops interest in the car......BS
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-03-2004, 11:06 AM

Subafreak said:
Quote:
I can buy the speed part of the story, I got a ticket for 75 in a 35 and passing in a no passing zone..IT cost me $650, but 60 in a 25 isn't all that crazy. There are alot of roads in RI that are WAY under rated for speed. It all depends on the road.
While doing 60 in a 25mph zone, may not be CRAZY (your right in that to call it crazy it does indeed depend on the road itself) it is plain STUPID! Speed limits are there for a reason (not saying I don't drive over the posted on occasion) and that reason doesn't always have to do with the road itself. It may also have to do with surroundings of the road (ie:lot's of commercial properties)
that may have traffic pulling off and on the road. It could be a residential area that has kids playing in it (and kids have been know to run out into normaly quiet streets) or possiably a blind/deaf person living on it..........Im sure we all get the point.

I will agree that there are roads in RI (and elsewhere as well) that have limit's on them that are under rated for speed (way under rated or otherwise), but even still, going over twice the posted limit is just plain stupid, and asking for trouble

(all of which is totaly irrelivent in this case, since the original post was BS)
Old 07-03-2004, 01:19 PM
SVX Appeal

The NHTSA's own studies have shown that speed limits generally encourage poor driving behavior. One example of this is that when the limit is, say 60mph, people will continue to drive at that speed even in extremely adverse conditions. Even when the limit is 20 in a school zone, drivers often falsely assume it’s safe to travel at that speed even when children are only a few feet away. Limits do very little to dissuade drivers from exceeding them, as most drivers have little regard for the postings, (largely due to unreasonable limits.) The same studies have also indicated that drivers generally have an excellent sense of judgement when it comes to regulating their own speed, and most poor decisions are a result of irrational speed limits; often providing false confidence, or being so clearly unreasonable that they are contemptuously ignored. Driver understand that when the road is straight, when there are wide shoulders, no hidden driveways, good conditions, etc.; that it is safe to travel at high speeds, and that certain conditions such a blind corners, busy streets, and areas with lots of foot traffic, it's generally best to travel at much lower speeds.

This is well-known and proven data to the people who regulate the speed limits. The degree of injury per mile actually goes down on freeways when people travel faster. The real purpose of speed limits is for guidance, and to give legal authority to officers when they see someone who is not exercising their best judgement. The secretary of transportation has said, “Posted speed limits are generally intended as an advisement of recommended safe rate of travel.” (I may have slightly misquoted that.)

The simple fact is that reckless driving or negligent driving applies even when traveling at or below the speed limit. Both charges are widely open to interpretation, and it usually comes down to the officer's discretion. There are places that I would feel much safer traveling at 60 in a 25, than I would traveling 25 in a 60. Local laws may have firm rules regarding what will or will not get you arrested, but a benevolent officer can turn things in your favor just as much as a determined malicious officer can turn things against you.

Going 60 in a 25 may or not be reckless. It's obviously unreasonable to expect a Ferrari to adhere to the same regulations that apply to tractor/trailer trucks. (Unreasonable yes, nevertheless, the law is just that.) Frequently we see zones marked at 25 because there is a hazardous section at the beginning and end of the zone, but the entire distance in between is suitable for much higher speeds. Granted, you can still get a ticket for speeding, but sometimes the officer, especially the good officers, are more concerned with the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law. My personal belief is that a conviction is not valid unless it meets both the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. I believe this because the spirit of the law is the aspect that truely concerns us, but the letter of the law is the safeguard to prevent gross abuse.

Last edited by UberRoo; 07-03-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:41 PM
HITTN1

I call BS. Here in Virginia since I am under 20 when I got my speeding ticket I HAD to go to driving school or else my lisence would get suspended!! I was only going 10 over!!! 55 in a 45. If I had been going 60 in a 25 I would've been riding in the back of the police car in handcuffs, had my car impounded, and other numerous things that I don't want to think about.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:35 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I have gotten a ticket for doing 85 in a 35. and i have gotten a ticket for doing 50 in a 35 ( same road i didnt learn my lesson the first time ) so i dont buy that story. If you are telling the truth then that cop outta be suspended for being a moron because I would definitley have given you a ticket.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I didn't realize you lived in VA before?! I passed Fisherville over 6 times going back-and-forth along I81 when I was 'negotiating' a deal on my SVX at a dealer down in Blacksburg.

If you're ever in the Charlottesville area let me know...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by HITTN1
I call BS. Here in Virginia since I am under 20 when I got my speeding ticket I HAD to go to driving school or else my lisence would get suspended!! I was only going 10 over!!! 55 in a 45. If I had been going 60 in a 25 I would've been riding in the back of the police car in handcuffs, had my car impounded, and other numerous things that I don't want to think about.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-04-2004, 09:25 AM
HITTN1

Chike if you go on 64 W then you are literally right beside us!!! Our property borders the interstate. We have a farm and there is a bilboard sign that has Comfort Inn and Cracker Barrel? on it ( I think).

We go over to C-Ville all the time, always looking for SVX's
Old 07-05-2004, 04:35 PM

well, it all depends on one thing.....was the cop aware of your actual speed (measured) ... or was he "estimating" it ...?

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 07-05-2004, 09:39 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
notice he hasnt said anything back.........
Old 07-06-2004, 02:32 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
I dunno, even if the original poster was lying, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt.

I was busted several times for speeding ridiculously and let off easy each and every time.

First was 87 in a 50 zone... I got a warning.

Second was on the same stretch, similar speeds... I got another warning.

Third, same stretch, Yet Again... 80-something in a 50 zone... and the cop reduced it to 15-over, a $50 fine and a couple demerit points on the license.

Note, if you will, that none of those were in the SVX, so that wasn't even a factor. Although now that I drive an SVX, cops follow me ALL THE TIME. And stare. And no doubt run my plates to make sure it isn't stolen. And to make sure I'm obeying all traffic laws while driving a "sports car". I'm sure nothing pleases them more than watching you like a hawk so they can bust you, a sports car driver, when you put one toe out of line...
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*