Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-12-2001, 09:03 PM
amuse

Question 'CHECK ENGINE' light on dash

Hi,

I've been lurking here ever since an SVX went for sale in my area (I'm in Australia)... it's finally crunch time.

I took the '94 Pearly for an extended second test drive and noticed two things:

1. 'CHECK ENGINE' light on dash stayed ON permanently
2. Cruise Control didn't work at all.

Any clues? The handbook explains that the CHECK ENGINE light means the 'computer' has diagnosed a fault I think. Could the two be related?

Also, what would be some methods for evaluating the condition of the tranny during driving?

Anyway, if this turns out to be a minor issue, with a bit of luck I'll soon be a proud SVX owner/driver

Cheers,
Pete
http://www.mp3.com/petealec

(110,000klms in a Liberty RX)
Old 10-12-2001, 09:59 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Here's the link to the other thread that lists how to retrieve the codes.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=1699

I believe the 94's are OBD-II, but still have the wires for self-diagnosis.

As for transmission, watch for a blinking power light immediately after starting the car. If it's steady, it's OK, if it blinks, there's a code stored in the computer. There's a SVX FAQ (don't have the link right this minute) that lists the procedures to retrieve the transmission code. Also look for the colour and smell of the transmission fluid. Should be pink, no burnt smell, no grit in oil. When dripped onto paper it should spread and leave no dirt rings anywhere.

For the cruise control, the first place I would check would be the vacuum lines, although there are a few other things that could affect it.

VK
Old 10-15-2001, 02:33 AM
amuse

Thanks VK. I think you were spot on. I also found the HOW-TO locker with the error codes and Check Engine light diagnosis procedure.

Interestingly enough, I went back to the dealer today, to see what was happening. They sorted out the Cruise Control problem - yes it was a vault in the vacuum line. (Not that I really know what that's all about

Also, they took the car to the Subaru dealer across the road (the place where it was bought and had every service done) to check out the C/E light problem. So I went there (I know them fairly well, since I bought/service my 97 Liberty RX there - that's a Legacy for you guys in the US) and asked about the C/E light...

They said the diagnosis device (scanner?) came up with an error code that indicates a 'knock sensor' fault. Again, I'm, not sure what that means? Anyway, they're letting the engine cool overnight to see which knock sensor (I guess there are two?) needs attention and mentioned they have a replacement in stock.

Hopefully, that's all there is to it - I should know tomorrow. Unfortunately they won't tell me the details of the service history due to privacy issues...

BTW, can anyone recommend a good book for someone to learn about car mechanics - with no prior knowledge? i.e. a "Car Mechanics for Dummies" type of book. I'm keen to learn all I can!

Cheers,
Pete.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:53 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
I don't know of any such book, but if you have questions jump on here and we'll do our best to help you out step by step, or at least point you in the direction to find you answer.

Welcome to the forum
Old 10-15-2001, 10:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by amuse
Thanks VK. I think you were spot on. I also found the HOW-TO locker with the error codes and Check Engine light diagnosis procedure.

Interestingly enough, I went back to the dealer today, to see what was happening. They sorted out the Cruise Control problem - yes it was a vault in the vacuum line. (Not that I really know what that's all about

Also, they took the car to the Subaru dealer across the road (the place where it was bought and had every service done) to check out the C/E light problem. So I went there (I know them fairly well, since I bought/service my 97 Liberty RX there - that's a Legacy for you guys in the US) and asked about the C/E light...

They said the diagnosis device (scanner?) came up with an error code that indicates a 'knock sensor' fault. Again, I'm, not sure what that means? Anyway, they're letting the engine cool overnight to see which knock sensor (I guess there are two?) needs attention and mentioned they have a replacement in stock.

Hopefully, that's all there is to it - I should know tomorrow. Unfortunately they won't tell me the details of the service history due to privacy issues...

BTW, can anyone recommend a good book for someone to learn about car mechanics - with no prior knowledge? i.e. a "Car Mechanics for Dummies" type of book. I'm keen to learn all I can!

Cheers,
Pete.
The knock sensors are sort of like microphones in the engine. They detect engine pinging and, if they hear it, they tell the engine computer (ECU) to retard fuel to prevent 'detonation.' So basically they listen for problems that might suggest your engine is about to explode.

I ran into the exact same issue with the service history of my SVX and a local dealership, concerning the privacy of the previous owner. I asked on a different day and they were happy to provide me with a printout of every service performed on the car. No contact info for the previous owner was on the printout, so I don't know what their problem was the first time 'round.

I imagine there are 'cars for dummies' books. I don't know of any offhand, unfortuately. You might try Amazon.com (do they ship overseas?) and look at the reviews that customers have posted.

Neither Chilton nor Haynes produce a decent SVX home repair manual. As a matter of fact, I think they both print one manual that covers basically every car Subaru built between '88 and '96 - in the same number of pages you'd get if you were looking for a manual on a K-car. I have one and it's infuriating how little detail is provided on each individual model.

Anyway, VK is right - you can get a lot of advice here. Some good, some bad. But you say you know a local Subaru dealer and trust them, and that's a luxury many of us don't have.

Oh, as for the transmission, watch the tach while the car shifts up through the gears at different levels of throttle. the shift from 2nd to 3rd will likely be sort of long, but as long as it doesn't actually slip, that's good. Take the car to a parking lot and make sure that it doesn't bind up (you'll know if it happens, trust me - the whole car shakes) while taking tight turns with a little gas applied. Also follow the above suggested procedures for checking the condition of the fluid.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-16-2001, 04:25 AM
amuse

Hi Again,

Well thanks for all the input everyone. I've learned a lot already (or so it feels).

The good news is I went back to the Subaru service center today and they had already worked it out. The C/E light was due to a faulty 'knock sensor' which they replaced with one they had in stock. The light no longer stays on now. They charged the dealership a nice little bill

As for the Cruise Control not working that was definitely caused by a problem in the vacuum line. This has also been fixed. I took it for a drive today and all was ok. I couldn't get the 'shaking' phenomenon to happen in turning the car tightly whilst accelerating slightly. So again re-assuring.

The Subaru service centrer also checked out the transmission fluid for me and said it was very clean. I even talked them into giving me more info on the car's history and indeed the tranny has been rebuilt; more good news.

I went back to the dealer after that - where the car was already back again - and got extra warranty thrown in and signed up!!! 'Subject to finance' of course, and I also stipulated that the front wheels be swapped around (backwards on the moment) and re-balanced.

With a bit of luck I could be driving an SVX tomorrow!

Cheers, and thanks for the help gang Especially to James Dunne (JAMSVX) who has been with me on the ride to this purchase since I first spotted the car about 3 months ago!

Best,
Pete
http://www.mp3.com/petealec
Old 10-16-2001, 04:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
I am a bad bad influence!

On the issue of dealer history, I have had the same problem, most recently last week. On previous occassions its a "hi, this is the rego, whats the history"...tapppety tap...."blah blah...tightened a screw on it on Monday 4 April 1993......new windscreen wiper 6 October 1996...blah" etc

BUT!

last week I unfortunately got a little powerprincess on the other end of the phone who..I kid you not...wanted the owner to fax an authorisation to tell me the service history then! transferred me to the some powermonger who wanted:
faxed copy of owners licence
faxed copy of rego papers
faxed copy of authorisation
my details
and a telephone call from the owner!!!

"MORON"....M....O....R....O....N!!

I was told privacy issues...yeah.....I don't want to know where the owner lives and I don't care.....just want to know the history on the car!

Seems to depend on who you get....a helpful mechanic or some upstart!

But, congrats to Amuse on his imminent purchase!!

And if I could make a smiley face change colour, it would be green with envy!

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-16-2001, 04:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
And if I could make a smiley face change colour, it would be green with envy!

Jamsvx
Good. I didn't like the y***ow ones anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp biggrin.bmp (238 Bytes, 112 views)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI