Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2001, 10:24 AM
JadeMonkeyStang

Smile Introduction and Buying Tips

Hey everyone, let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Dustin, and I'm a sophomore at Rutgers University in New Jersey. I'm an electrical/computer engineering and business major with an economics minor. I've always liked cars, and am just about to put the finishing touches on my first restoration, a 1969 Mustang Fastback. Next on the list is a car for my dad, a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to email or IM me.

The reason I have come to this board is obviously my intrest in the SVX. My car (an 88' Buick Century) was recently totaled in an accident, which leaves me in the market for a "new" car. While looking through some classifieds I saw a SVX, and was very impressed with its lines, awd, and creature comforts. My two primary intrests right now are either an SVX or a Buick Turbo Regal (ie. Grand National). I'm looking for a car that will be fairly reliable, deliver decent performance, be comfortable for a large person (I'm 6'3''), and be affordable. A local dealer has a 92' SVX for $3900 obo. If someone could give me some things to watch for when I go to look at this car on Saturday that would be great. I still have a lot to learn about the SVX and since I have no firsthand experience I don't know what one should drive/behave/perform like. Any tips you guys could give me would be wonderful. I know about the basic issues with transmission problems, wheels bearings, and brake rotors, but is there anything else I should know about the "quirks" of these cars? Thanx in advance for all your help.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:22 AM
oneothefewproud

Dustin,

Welcome to the network. You have come to the right place.

First off, I am 6-4 262 lbs. I sit in my SVX for 3 hours a day. I have lower back issues and the seats in the SVX are comfortable for me. They are by no means the best seats that I have sat in but are very good. Example. In my wife's Camry I noticed that my left knee was closer to the dash than my right one. I then noticed that I was sitting sort of side ways. When I got my SVX back on the road I noticed that my knees where the same. The seats actually make me sit straight.

You got the 3 major components listed.

If there is another SVXer in the area can you meet up with Dustin and take a look at the SVX with him? That would help him out alot.

Welcome again.
Wayne
Old 10-02-2001, 12:01 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Dustin,
It's good to have you here, and, if you want to know about the SVX we have a veritible cornucopia of knowledge -- first hand -- good and bad.

If you know about the tranny and the bearings, they are the two major issues. The brake rotors aren't as big, but, on the list. What is the mileage on the car? It sounds like a reasonable price if the car is in good shape at all. Most 92's are going in the 5K range, so, even if it needed a few repairs, you'd be doing well.

As far as reliability, mine has been reliable (aside from a tranny issue that's a long long long story and people here are tired of hearing about it). It has 163K and is still going strong.

Take it out for a drive, then, come back here and give us some questions before you make your decision, and, yes, if you can find another SVXer to go with you, that would be the perfect plan.

Again, welcome. We hope to be able to add you to our number soon.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-02-2001, 12:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Without a doubt, the most important thing to look for in a used SVX is one that has been taken care of by its previous owner(s). Proper maintenance and normal, non-abusive driving will prevent the problems you listed.

Tranny: Fine mechanically, but insufficient cooling. Still, mine has yet to have any problems. I do have a B&H cooler to install, though.

Brake rotors: Warp pretty easily. Turning the rotors accelerates the problem.

Wheel bearings: Seem to fail often on some cars, never on others.

My personal feeling is that many SVXs, being relatively powerful cars, are abused by their owners, exacerbating any shortcomings the car may already have.

I love my SVX. It has been extremely reliable for both myself and the previous owner. There is nothing else out there like it. I hope you find one in good shape.

PS I am 6-foot and have no problem fitting in the car comfortably. The doors fit the roofline very smoothly and allow for a very large opening through which to enter / exit.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-02-2001, 02:25 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

$3,900 seems dirt cheap, especially from a dealer. Are there any cosmetic issues? Also, any warranty offered? Check all the power accessories (windows, antenna, climate control etc.) If anything doesn't work, beat him down to $3200 & tune in here often for all the fixes. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:02 PM
JadeMonkeyStang

Hey everyone, thanx for all the friendly and helpful replies so far. I don't know much about the car beyond what is in the ad below. I have to call the place later to find more out. The car is located in Philadelphia, so if someone wants to come ride along with me on Saturday I would be happy to buy you lunch or something. Thanx again for all the help so far.

The Ad:
1992 SUBARU SVX, all whl drive, 3.3/V6, 4-speed, auto, all pwrs, sunroof, gorgeous, JET blk/charcoal leather, alum rims, rare, hard to find, SUBARU SPORTS CAR, runs/drives/looks 100%, $3900 or best offer

Last edited by JadeMonkeyStang; 10-02-2001 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:50 PM
deadeye95

Hate to be a stick in the mud....

My first advice is to stick to the EE course work exclusively. Most EE's are hired to do software work anyway - very few do hardware design anymore. Also, I'm afraid you'll bail and go for the business courses, they are easier and your classmates are better looking. Go for the money-to heck with the GPA.....

You know that this car model has a history of transmission problems. Are you willing to fork over half of the price you paid for the car to fix this if it clunks?? Do you have 2-3 grand in reserve??

When I was going to school I pissed off my parents by getting a Spitfire. You could fix those with bailing wire and a swift kick.

My Subaru has been ultra-reliable, and I would hope yours would be, too. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2001, 11:04 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Hate to be a stick in the mud....

Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
When I was going to school I pissed off my parents by getting a Spitfire. You could fix those with bailing wire and a swift kick.
Aha, another testament to us "quirky" SVX owners:

Former Spitfire Owners:

deadeye
Svxphile
Aredubjay
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-03-2001, 09:21 PM
deadeye95

Quirky transportation

1981 Pageant Blue w/ hardtop.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:42 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: Introduction and Buying Tips

Quote:
Originally posted by JadeMonkeyStang
The reason I have come to this board is obviously my intrest in the SVX. My two primary intrests right now are either an SVX or a Buick Turbo Regal (ie. Grand National).
If I had the $$$ I'd buy both!!!! the grand national was one of the last great muscle cars. My best friend drives an 87GN. He's done some major research on it, including the VIN w/GM. His is one of only 32, with hybrid parts from both the GN and the GNX. If you go with the GN (Either one is a GREAT BUY), I'll give you his email so you can contact each other if you have ?'s
Quote:

I'm looking for a car that will be fairly reliable, deliver decent performance, be comfortable for a large person (I'm 6'3''), and be affordable. A local dealer has a 92' SVX for $3900 obo.
I'm 6'3" and fit very comfortably in both
Old 10-10-2001, 03:43 PM
Crazi

Talking I definitely agree!!!

I have a '86 Turbo Buick and LOVE IT TO DEATH!!! Unfortunately I blew it up (spun a bearing in the engine) at the track 2 weeks ago and need a new car since my other car is dead too.

I have always loved SVX's and almost bought one before I bought my Acura. Now it is time to buy again and I am looking for a 95 or 96 Lsi. How much do they generally go for? Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:42 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Welcome Dustin!

<The Ad: 1992 SUBARU SVX, all whl drive, 3.3/V6, 4-speed, auto, all pwrs, sunroof, gorgeous, JET blk/charcoal leather, alum rims, rare, hard to find, SUBARU SPORTS CAR, runs/drives/looks 100%, $3900 or best offer>

I take it that this dealer is NOT a Subaru dealer. They would not say it has a V6 when it has a flat-6....other than that, it sounds exactly like my 92! I would second all the advice given in the earlier posts. Take her for a spin and see what you think...then check back in with us. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 10-11-2001, 10:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: I definitely agree!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazi
I have a '86 Turbo Buick and LOVE IT TO DEATH!!! Unfortunately I blew it up (spun a bearing in the engine) at the track 2 weeks ago and need a new car since my other car is dead too.
Ouch. Hope you get her fixed up OK
Old 10-11-2001, 10:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Buick GN

Great license plate frame on one of the several Buick Grand Nationals seen at Autofest a couple of weeks ago:

"So many Mustangs, so little time".

I loved it. It would really be a neat car to own - a real sleeper, especially among the teenage Honda/Mustang set.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:03 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: I definitely agree!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazi

I have always loved SVX's and almost bought one before I bought my Acura. Now it is time to buy again and I am looking for a 95 or 96 Lsi. How much do they generally go for? Thanks in Advance.
Hey, new guy. Yeah you.

'95's and 6's can be had. We've had a couple on here recently. Keep looking. Once you find one (I guarantee) you won't be disappointed.

And, WELCOME !

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>