Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2001, 02:22 PM
Lowered SVX

randy is not going anywhere.....

in fact my bet is he is being sarcastic and just frustrated with the whole situation. i think you were understood by all, even randy, mr. pockets. all randy is saying is that based on thing said in that thread there was no real reason of eddy to leave the way he did. i think that is all any of us are saying.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 09-26-2001, 02:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: randy is not going anywhere.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
in fact my bet is he is being sarcastic and just frustrated with the whole situation. i think you were understood by all, even randy, mr. pockets. all randy is saying is that based on thing said in that thread there was no real reason of eddy to leave the way he did. i think that is all any of us are saying.
I agree with you. What I didn't agree with was the 'we can do it without happy thoughts and not actualy knowledge' sentiment.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-26-2001, 06:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

LARRY, by the way, is the ONLY one so far who actually got the POINT of my very long-winded post. I didn't say we'd suffer as a group. I didn't say we'd have less fun. I said the accuracy of the technical information on the site will suffer. The engineer was the only one to understand that. You get the gold star I was going to give to Randy, Larry. I'll mail it before I leave for AutoFest.
Thanks Nick, Please don't call me "the engineer". I find that so limiting.

If Randy leaves here does that mean he's coming back to the Yahoo site?

Larry III
Old 09-26-2001, 07:23 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hey Randy-
If it makes any difference, I never said it while eddy was here cause I don't have near the amount of energy, patience, or balls that you do, but I'm positive that my car has all wheel steering too.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:47 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

Well, I see we've got another basket full of wadded panties again.
We do NOT need another master tech. We DO need a certified marriage counselor. Where's Jesse Jackson when you really need him?
Peace, brothers & sisters! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Okay, I'm having a bad day. I've been home sick all day. Hyped up on decongestant and expectorant and hocking up lungs.

BTW -- Danny "Bosco" was the other Master Tech, Nick.

And, yes. I take my time here much too personally. Even though I don't post much.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-26-2001, 09:13 PM
ehyde111

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Okay, I'm having a bad day. I've been home sick all day. Hyped up on decongestant and expectorant and hocking up lungs. . .

And, yes. I take my time here much too personally. . .
Aredubjay, It's good to see that you are still around.

Don't sweat it about taking things too personally. It's just evidence that this group is important to you--and I know we're all appreciative of that.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2001, 06:53 AM

Registered SVX
Dang it all Randy,

We wus all ready to welcome you back to the Yahoos club.
We wus even going to let yer prance around in them thar stripped undies of yourin.

Larry III
PS: Forget about all those decongestants. Find the Ouzo.
The "cure" is much quicker.
Old 09-27-2001, 07:32 AM
SVXtypeR

A small distinction that seems to be overlooked...

Eddie was and experienced tech, with that I will not argue. What I specifically take exception to is when he bashes something *he* knows nothing about. Allow me to explain...

When I first joined this club a few months back (after lurking for about 5 weeks), the "garage" had *just* been stood up. For those who know me, I'm one of the club nut-cases that blows entire paychecks on *extreme* modifications (hey, I'm 30 and an unmarried engineer, I can do these things ). So when I saw that a Subaru Master tech had gotten his own forum, my first thought was "COOL!!! Now I can get answers from an experienced tech that otherwise would only be found by tearing the car apart." Boy was I wrong. My basic experience with Eddie was that he was completely unable to answer any question outside the realm of what Subaru taught him. Is it cool to have someone around who has the experience he has, but as soon as my questions ventured outsided the realm of what could be found in the service manual, all bets were off.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind that he could'nt answer a simple question like 'what is the general shape of the exhaust port?', But what pissed me off to no end is when he went out of his way to bash me (and others like Cdig et al) whenever we ventured into the realm of the unknown (with mods) and came back to share our experiences.

My first "altercation" with him was regarding the Level 10 rebuild. For someone who supposedly knows so much about Subarus and auto mechanics in general, he fought tooth and nail against the *MANY* people who have had this mod done. DOZENS of people who have PROOF that not only is the 4EAT prone to utterly destroy itself (I've personally gone through FIVE!!), but that a mod THAT RACERS HAVE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS not only prevents future problems, but ACTUALLY NOTCIABLY IMPROVES THE PERFORMANCE AND POWER HANDLING CAPABILITIES OF THE VEHICLE!!! This experience and many others (like his steadfast refusal to admit to "passive rear-wheel steering" ) serve as proof that though the knowlege he has is of quality, it is *extremely* limited.

With that in mind, to say that the accuracy of technical information will *suffer* upon his leaving is, to me, a tad bit of an overstatement. Was he valuable? Yes. Was he indespensable? Hardly. No more than anyone else here. As a club, as soon as we start believing that one person (or group) has reign over all others in the realm of knowledge and experience then we cease to be a club. I personally thought is was a bad idea to give eddie his own forum. Catering to one indivudual is what caused all this in the first place. He should not be exempt from the "brochure toting kids" and the Pepes of the world any more than anyone else here. I, and many others, have no problem defending our views in an (key word here) OPEN forum (which was the whole point of starting this site if I'm not mistaken). The "garage" was put up precicely because Eddie could not handle such a thing. He had to be different and have his own little sandbox, and if you didn't play like *he* wanted (ie, questioned *anything* he said), he *****ed to high heaven. Notice how nobody else *****es if their word isn't taken as gospel? Well, that's my point...

If I've stepped on any toes, I sincerely apologise. I just feel that there were some distinctions that needed to be aired.

Thanks guys,
DaV
Old 09-27-2001, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX
Re: A small distinction that seems to be overlooked...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SVXtypeR
[B]
I'm one of the club nut-cases that blows entire paychecks on *extreme* modifications (hey, I'm 30 and an unmarried engineer, I can do these things

Dave,

I too am an engineer. I have been a happily married for 33 years.
But it t must be nice to have the time and money to work on your car and do the mods you want.

Larry's eyes glaze over as he whistfully daydreams. The corners of his lips bigin to curl upward and a smile begins to form.....

Larry III
Old 09-27-2001, 08:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Wow...that may be the last time I submit my opinions about anything controversial on this site. Jeez. I didn't say we should entirely throw out any sense of community or kindness on the site. I didn't kick anybody's dog.

Last time i post my opinions? Yeah, I'm about to shut my mouth...sure...

Drivel, my ass. You took my message WAY out of context.

Once in a lifetime opportunity? Hell yeah, I think so. When else are we going to get a Subaru master tech with nothing better to do than answer our questions all day long? I think the time he put into ansering posts in a given day was WAY more than could be expected. Of course, most will also balance that with the time he put into non-informative writing.

What other master tech did Eddy scare away? The only one I remember was 'SVXmastertech' or something. I seem to remember Eddy asking him a couple questions and the guy never answered.

In short, is he the only Subaru master tech on the planet? Of course not. Will we get another one who will put the time that he did into this site? I'd put money on 'no.'

"Email me about any upcoming meets?" Huh? Now you're leaving, is that it? Oh, you have to be kidding me. I've never seen such a group of middle-aged children in my life.

LARRY, by the way, is the ONLY one so far who actually got the POINT of my very long-winded post. I didn't say we'd suffer as a group. I didn't say we'd have less fun. I said the accuracy of the technical information on the site will suffer. The engineer was the only one to understand that. You get the gold star I was going to give to Randy, Larry. I'll mail it before I leave for AutoFest.
Okay, now that I've cleared my head and have looked at things more objectively, let me see . . .

A) Posting our "opinions" is what it's all about. We all merely have to be prepared when someone disagrees with them. It's what makes the world go 'round.

B) I still think it's drivel (but that's just my opinion).

C) What else did he have to do? And, we'll get another tech, given time.

D) No, I'm not leaving. That decision was rash (you won't get rid of ME that easily. As far as meeting "such a middle aged group of children" You've obviously never worked in radio. And, thank you for calling me "middle aged" instead of old. "Ah, to be young and know it all."

E) If the point was so far buried that only an engineer could find it . . . well, need I say more.

F) Oh well . . . still in search of the illusive "Gold Star."

<Digs through trash can, places "moderator's" hat back onto head, removes tongue from cheek, and turns to today's work assignments )
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-27-2001 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:46 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:

F) Oh well . . . still in search of the illusive "Gold Star."

<Digs through trash can, places "moderator's" hat back onto head and removes tongue from cheek, and turns to today's work assignments )
Does this mean that you're switching from zebra stripes to gold stars?

Larry III
Old 09-27-2001, 08:51 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

Does this mean that you're switching from zebra stripes to gold stars?

Larry III
Nope. No gold stars for this boy. I'll stick with the zebras. Of course, in Kentucky, you didn't get gold stars. You got gold possums for work well done. I got a red possum once, but, never achieved gold possum status.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-27-2001, 09:00 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:

Nope. No gold stars for this boy. I'll stick with the zebras. Of course, in Kentucky, you didn't get gold stars. You got gold possums for work well done. I got a red possum once, but, never achieved gold possum status.
.. the spotlight focuses on the celebritry couple at the podium. "And the winner of this year's Golden Possum award (pause to open the envelope) is.........................

RANDY JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:30 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter

.. the spotlight focuses on the celebritry couple at the podium. "And the winner of this year's Golden Possum award (pause to open the envelope) is.........................

RANDY JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you. I'd like to thank the academy and all of my family and all of the "little people" who've made this possible. I'll treasure this award forever -- I'm speechless (yeah, right).
Subaru Ambassador