Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-03-2001, 02:30 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Need some paint advice

I recently brought my car to Michigan with me (for school). I live in NM. Every time I wash my car, I find more and more places where the paint is cracking, or the clearcoat is coming off. I have put a couple of pictures in my locker showing the paint problems. Does anybody know how I can stop this problem, or why it is happening? If you can't see in the pictures, the paint is either cracking in an almost star pattern, or the clearcoat is flaking off in small patches. Is this just because the car is old, or because of the change in climate, or what? Here's a link to the pictures
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX10|875
Mat-1
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-03-2001, 03:44 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Paintshop Pro

Looks unusual. Was the car ever resprayed?

Sometimes painters touch up a damaged spot, and to match in the door/wing/hood/you name it, they "haze in" a wider area of paint very lightly. The idea is to get major panels all the same colour. Trouble is, they don't always "key in" the surface of the larger area, so that the paint does not bond well.

This may have happened yours, and severe weather caused the top coat to die, hence the flaking and peeling back.

Only cure is to repaint, but get it done by someone who knows what he is doing.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-03-2001, 04:23 PM

Dunno

I dunno if it's ever been resprayed. I don't think it has, simply because the paint looks good and uniform, even with the pearl effect. Also, if the guy who owned it before me was gonna paint it, there were a whole lot of places that he should've hit (need paint, but not because of chipping but scratches and such). Anyway, I don't have the funds to paint it right now, so is there any way I can at least keep it from spreading?
Mat-1
P.S. This is kinda ironic...the same day I found the new chipping spot was the day I had asked my friend, "Why would you ever let that happen?" while looking at a pontiac with a crappy paint job.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 09-03-2001, 04:45 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Dunno me too

Mat

You can sometimes fill in and flat off deep cracks with "stopping" which is a type of thick paint you rub in the cracks and sand down with v. fine paper.

I really don't think this will work with yours, as the clearcoat looks to have given up, so will continue to crack, flake and peel.

You could do worse than bring it to a paint shop and ask their opinion. Go to a good one with proper oven bake facilities and so on. If it needs paint, it needs paint.

One last resort you might try. There is a manufacturer of car waxes called Meguiars, their site is www.meguiars.com.
If anyone can give you a short term remedy for your paint, without a respray, these boys can.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-03-2001, 09:42 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Mat-1,
Doug Mohr (mohrds) is our resident paint and body expert (he used to own a shop). You might PM him or even e-mail him. He seems to have taken a short break from the Network. He may be able to tell you better, what's happening.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-03-2001, 09:55 PM

a little off topic

well, all of you that looked at the pictures probably noticed (I hope) how shiny the paint was. It rained tonight First dead batteries, then chipping paint, now a freshly washed car all rained on. Can't wait to get back home to NM and the GARAGE!!! Also, thanks for the reccomendations. Hopefully one of them (short of painting) will work out.
Mat-1

Old 09-03-2001, 10:53 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
to keep it off the topic even more...

first to get back on topic -- I saw the damage. It does look bad. I have seen chipped paint on my car due to rocks. But it's not that bad. I am still going to repaint it though -- when I get more money.

I saw you said star pattern. Perhaps it's the suby star comming out of the clear coat...

ok... to keep it off topic.. I also washed my car yesterday. Guess what. It was in heavy rain the other day and I had to drive through about 10 inches of water the other day and discovered that my back breaks are squealing now -- and my front rotors feel like they are wrapped.

Lwin

when it rains in the SVX, it pours

ps. for the colour change, I am considering the following three colours : SILVER, BLUE, YELLOW
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-04-2001, 09:31 AM

I'll...

stick with the BLACK

Old 09-04-2001, 10:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: I'll...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
stick with the BLACK
I don't blame you. Changing the color of a car is a messy proposition...

...unless you use Photoshop...

...but then you can't drive the print around...

Where in MI are you? My wife and I just moved to Ann Arbor in December.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-04-2001, 10:35 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: Need some paint advice

Quote:
I recently brought my car to Michigan with me (for school). I live in NM. Every time I wash my car, I find more and more places where the paint is cracking, or the clearcoat is coming off. I have put a couple of pictures in my locker showing the paint problems. Does anybody know how I can stop this problem, or why it is happening? If you can't see in the pictures, the paint is either cracking in an almost star pattern, or the clearcoat is flaking off in small patches. Is this just because the car is old, or because of the change in climate, or what? Here's a link to the pictures
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX10|875
Mat-1
Hmm seems like normal paint crack to me. I'm not sure why most of you think this is wierd, I've always seem clearcoat chip like that. Not exactly sure why it does, but always makes little star patterns before it flakes off. The reason is it doing it is for a couple reasons. One that yes the car is old. Two that the old owner(s) probably didn't wash or take care of the paint as often as they should. It also might be that your's was painted at the same time mine was. Hehe mine is much worse beleive me.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 09-04-2001, 12:56 PM

Not too far

I'm in Flint until October 1st, then I'll be on my way back to NM. Maybe we can get together sometime before then. I've always wanted to go to a meet, but there aren't many SVX enthusiasts in NM. I basically go through Ann Arbor on my way home, but my dad probably won't want to stop there (he's flying up to see me, and then we're driving home together). Lemme know what you think (although I will be pretty busy on weekends with finals approaching, and all that). None the less, I can spare a few hours to hang out.
Mat-1

Old 09-04-2001, 02:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Not too far

Quote:
I'm in Flint until October 1st, then I'll be on my way back to NM. Maybe we can get together sometime before then. I've always wanted to go to a meet, but there aren't many SVX enthusiasts in NM. I basically go through Ann Arbor on my way home, but my dad probably won't want to stop there (he's flying up to see me, and then we're driving home together). Lemme know what you think (although I will be pretty busy on weekends with finals approaching, and all that). None the less, I can spare a few hours to hang out.
Mat-1
Maybe we should try to meet up with 'wawazat' and make it a little mini-meet. My wife will be thrilled! :P

That would make two mini-meet like activities in a month for me - I have AutoFest coming up at the end of this month!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-04-2001, 02:40 PM

Sounds great!

Sounds good to me. When is the Autofest. I didn't register for some reason (I thought about it but it was, if I remember, the same day as 2 of my finals). A little mini meet would be cool. Myabe I'll have my knock sensor by then and the car will actually be running right. Probably have the 4 guage wiring upgrade by next Saturday, so I could have that done by then too. I just can't come if it's between the 26th and 30th. I'm gonna be pressed for time then. Maybe a week from Saturday???? Lemme know.

Old 09-05-2001, 07:07 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Sounds great!

Quote:
Sounds good to me. When is the Autofest. I didn't register for some reason (I thought about it but it was, if I remember, the same day as 2 of my finals). A little mini meet would be cool. Myabe I'll have my knock sensor by then and the car will actually be running right. Probably have the 4 guage wiring upgrade by next Saturday, so I could have that done by then too. I just can't come if it's between the 26th and 30th. I'm gonna be pressed for time then. Maybe a week from Saturday???? Lemme know.
I sent you a PM with my email address. I've already talked to wawazat?? about a meeting next weekend - please email me so we can hammer something out.

Thanks!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE