Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2003, 10:55 PM
ChronicSVX

No more Hate

For a change from the usual, does anyone remember when they drove an SVX for the 1st time.(or when they purchased their 1st one) We all came to this website to meet, talk, and whatever with other SVX owners.(cause we know we'll never meet another SVX fanatic in some parking lot.) So this thread is all sentimental $hit, please keep the senseless arguing to Supercars.net(every damn thread on that site with a 100 or more replys are nothing more than 4 or 5 way arguments gone way out of control.)
But as a whole were alot more civilized. well mabye just the tech q&a.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
So Very Right!

I have put a lot of miles on the old Teal this month. I've been to Flaming Gorge, Lake Powell and San Francisco. That's about 3000 miles in round trips in one month!! Car's running great (knock on wood). Every ride is like the first ride. I live only about a mile from where I work and yet (gas prices be damned) I drive to work every day hoping I'll have some time to leave for lunch... I love people at gas stations coming up to me and asking, "What is that?" I love the look on their face when I say " a 92 Subaru” Especially when I'm parked next to a 2000+ mustang or eclipse. It helps to still have the temp sticker still in the window I'm sure...
Some day I'll get this title thing straightened out and actually get Utah Plates...

But you are Right Chronic... I too would like to see more posts like the one Larry did a year or so ago describing his morning commute... "it was perty(SIC) good"...(thats how some of us talk out here in the west)

Thanks...
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-23-2003, 11:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Yes, I remember the first time I drove my SVX. I left work to go look at a black '92 at the local Subaru dealership. I had noticed it the night before in the back where they put the cars they plan on selling wholesale. I got a key and went down to check the car out. It didn't start. Really, it looked like the poor thing had beeni n a flood - down to the puddle stains on the seats. While I was looking the car over, a guy came up to me and said, 'hey, you know, if you want one of these they have a much nicer one on the Dodge lot down the road.' I dropped the key off at the receptionist's desk and left.

The Dodge dealership did, in fact, have a nice one. It was a red '93. I didn't know how special that was, but I loved the car immediately. I could tell it had been cared for.

I've since put on 38k miles on the car and loved every second of it. I spent many weekends in VT just driving. The stories I've collected along the way...man.

My SVX now spends most of its time under its cover in the garage, waiting for sunny weekends. Taking off for an afternoon drive isn't something I get to do much any more. When I drive the SVX, it's usually because I have somewhere I need to go and I'd like to arrive there in style.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am glad there is a windshield in mine, because if there wasn't, there would be bugs splattered all over my teeth. (from smiling) I still have to pinch myself when I get into one of them. I can not describe the feeling other than pure joy.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-24-2003, 12:18 AM
ChronicSVX

I'd seen an svx or two in my ride to work or wherever, so I searched the net and eventually came here. but that was well over a year ago. Flash forward to march '03. I'm crusing around, looking to replace my 88 acura legend(a real beater,but always lived). I hit every dealership on the main Automall (nearly all dealers are side by side on one Street.) and found only the cream of the crap. SO...I decided to check the uh..."vintage" parts of town. As I drove past Express Auto Sales I saw a pearly white SVX. I nailed the very first left turn to get in and get a closer look. 86k miles, cd player(stock), broken drivers' visor, a few other flaws that have been fixed. It was only $4,500 and after my legend as a Down payment I only payed $3,300. IT was a pretty damn good deal, However the ride home was insane.
I did conduct 2 test drives and it ran great. dame great. Still does.
After I finally left the dealership(unlicensed, no one spoke english, loads of DMV problems.) The SVX had no gas, I had to pull into the first gas station I saw. So I pull the gas door release lever and hop out look at gas door then..uh... try again and open the gas door, then again, then finally shredding a ton of paint by ripping gas door open with a screwdriver.Then get haggled by a bum for a ride and some change.I Sent him off, gassed up and pulled out onto westbound I-25 while the sun was setting. As I reached up to pull my visor down..(drum roll)..No Visor! I got over it though and I'm still very pleased with my car.
WARNING---Carfax reports give you nothing about a cars history, my SVX had a very, very bad life span. The "perfect" carfax report did influence my choice to buy the beast. But after a closer inspection, my car's chassis is 1/2 junkyard, and the 1-800 subaru number and original dealership had me busy writing around 10 different reasons it was in the shop for Recalls and repairs. The Title was illegal, the list goes on. But it's mechanically sound.(good engine, 2nd tranny)((ahahahahahah) and right now I want more SVX's a red, blue, and black one.yea that'd damn good.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: So Very Right!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

But you are Right Chronic... I too would like to see more posts like the one Larry did a year or so ago describing his morning commute... "it was perty(SIC) good"...(thats how some of us talk out here in the west)

Thanks...

Is that the one where I drove to DuPont thru my favorite S-bend?
Here's one from last Friday. I left work about 2:00PM in my '92 Pearly. It was raining (as usual....we got 8+ inches for June) cats, dogs and elephants in buckets. I drove the 92 with alacrity down the Blue Route (I-476). The tires on the car are pretty worn. I only took it up to 85 mph. On I- 95 S in Chester, there must have been 3-5 inches of water on the road surface. I got home and Rosie said" Let's go out." We took the '97 SVX since it has the best tires. We wound up at Stanleys Tavern. It is the best watering hole in northern Delaware (has over 100 beers and 15 TV sets). Then, the sky's really opened up and I started to look for Noah and his Ark. After a slight (yeah-right) repast we hit the road. The radio was blaring news of small steam flooding and every road had water flowing across it. We picked up some twisty roads and I had some fun. There may be another set of rear bearings in my future. Rosie was not amused. Then I got on I-95 and took SUBYDOO ('97 SVX) up to speed (90-95 mph). The road was empty because the radio was telling everyone to stay home. The Dunlop SP-5000's just sliced thru the water like a hot knife thru butter. This is a great car for lousy weather. I estimate that the rain was falling at a rate of 3-5 inches per hour. The most interesting thing was a short (1/4 mi.) section of rte 202, by my house. The road is a test section of porous asphalt. It is designed and built so that all water drains thru the asphalt to the underbase and is then piped away. I have been driving over this section for about 15 years now. It is always almost dry in rain and snow. Friday was no differnet. All roads should be built like this. Unfortunately, it is super expensive. It's my Fed tax dollars at work.

Ta Ta UncaMitzi.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 06-24-2003 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:04 AM
rcraven32

Dream come true

I remember when the SVX first came out. I was a senior in High School in Fife, Washington. There was an dealer with an up the street there was an SVX on display.

Every once in a while I would drove over to look at it. My dad and I saw one in the stand still traffic and I knew I had to have one someday, but the cost was unphathomable for a kid in school and working at Burger King.

A year later my Step-mom's employee had one he would go out and autocross with a club in Seattle. I came home to find a dark green 93 SVX sitting in my Driveway. Wow what a car!!!

Fast forward 10 years and here I am in Ford and Chevy land. (Iowa that is) My boss invites me over to his house out in the stix. (Town Population of under 300.)

We are out shooting the bull in his Garage and putting on yet another mod to his 97 Grand Prix GTP. We get to taking about cars and I tell him about the SVX I always wanted.

He laughs and tells me there is one up the street for sale. Knowing what they used to cost I blow it off. 2 years go by and I drive by and the SVX is out on the curb with a for sale sign in it.

That was all it took. I stopped talked to the old guy and he had every reciept. His wife could not get in and out becuase it was so low. That was the only reason he was selling it.

The silly farmers had no idea what was sitting there all these years. It was wierd looking to them.

I love this car. It is everything I dreamed it would be. I never get tired of explaining the car to people or getting compliments.

I also want to thank everyone that posts here. I have learned so much just reading all the posts. I changed my rear bearings based on reading this site. It has been just a wealth of information and entertainment.

I am so glad I am not the only one that enjoys this car.

Ryan
Old 06-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Same

I see many of my same sentiments expressed above. That is what brings me to this forum. Now why would anyone even think of mentioning a Neon in the same breath as an SVX. Particularly in this forum. Beats me. Only SVX for me.

Lee

SVXx4
Old 06-24-2003, 02:14 PM
nhealy

The first time I drove an SVX was the '92 LS-L which I purchased in February '02. Obviously it's a little weird initially with adjusting to the windows but it only took me a minute or two. Driving it was simply fantastic. I had an'88 XT-6 which I also loved (and drove through 6-10 inches of unplowed snow one new year's eve...I have witnesses) and I definitely wanted another Subaru. My mom has a '93 Impreza L that's closing in on 100,000 and hasn't had any significant problems since they bought it new 10 years ago. But I digress.
I took the SVX out on a stretch of highway on the test drive and got it up to around 90 which as everyone knows sure doesn't feel like 90. It handled so smoothly. I was amazed that the car was 10 years old and had close to 110,000 miles on it. I was sold.
Since then I've driven the car out to California and back to Iowa which is a good 4,000 miles. I didn't want to stop driving when my friend and I got back to Iowa City even though we had driven 1100 miles in about 14 hours from Coalville, Utah to Iowa City. With cruising speeds between 80-95mph we were getting over 30mpg. That was fun and I know the comfort of the car had a lot to do with it.

My only complaint about the car (and mine in particular) is the transmission. I'm leaking trans fluid for the fourth time since I bought the car. The tranny is from another SVX and was rebuilt by the guy I bought the car from who is a Subaru mechanic. I'm getting sick of a $20 seal breaking and paying an extra $300 for labor.
Sorry, I know this is supposed to be a more lighthearted thread so I'll stop complaining. It's just frustrating because I love the car.

I look forward to reading other people's contributions. Good idea for a topic Chronic.

Take care all,
Nolan
Old 06-24-2003, 05:36 PM
ChronicSVX

hey, its okay to complain if its about your own car!
BTW, the drivers side visor was in the trunk, I found it a day or two later.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:37 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Early in '97. We had a couple months lease left on a '94 Galant which we were nearly desperate to unload. (We hated it.) We drove an Imprezza and sort of liked it, but it looked plasticky and a little goofy. No way we could afford an Outback. We were about to leave when the salesguy said he thought he had something we might be interested in. He walked us over to the most beautiful car I'd seen to date. The sticker on the window said $28,XXX. Of course I said, "Heh, nice try." He then said it was a '95 that one of the salesladies had driven. She apparently didn't like it and parked it in the rear lot and they "lost track of it". Hardly a believeable story. Then came the punch line. "I think you could get it for less than 20." That got my attention. We drove it and felt like millionaires. After much haggling (I walked away from the deal three times - they kept calling back.), we bought Kermit for $19,100.

Sharon drove it for five years (around 110,000 miles) before I managed to convince her she needed a new car. The Volvo cost a lot more, but we're a couple more years past having kids in the house. Besides that, whatever the cost, it's worth it now that the SVX is mine.

I love Larry's line (This is a great car for lousy weather.) and have used it myself many times.

The love affair continues.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 06-24-2003, 07:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
I love Larry's line (This is a great car for lousy weather.) and have used it myself many times.
Yeah, that's certainly true.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Superbeast

I hard to recall the very begining of how it all started. I think I may have always had a thing for the BRAT, then my dad bought a new 87 GL-10 turbo sedan as a leftover in 88. After that it was all Subaru's (and VW's, but thats another story) some years later, a freind of mine "whos parents bought him stock in Subaru", gives me a poster and booklet on Subaru's upcomming new sports coupe, I was in love, I just said that is the car I will own some day. That was in 89/90 fastforward to Oct 99, after several years of driving $900 and under Subaru's we discoverd a thing called tax returns and credit. A year before my wife got the 91 Turbo Legacy for $6,500. So I'm now driving an 85 XT rotbox, and tax return time is here again, I decide I'm gona look for and SVX. I wanted one like my Legacy, (A first year car in pearly white) I serched the local trader paper and found a 92 white with touring package for $10K. I called, it was sold. I looked around more and found a few in other colors and years for similar or more in price. I look at a 94red FWD L model with a bad paint job that a dealership wanted $12k for. No thanks. Then finally I was driving by another dealership and found my car. 92 Pearly L model. Took it for a drive it felt fast but it was an auto, I didn't care it was the car I wanted. Went back later that week to buy it. I felt pretty cool crusing in my new ride, first thing I did was take it to the mall and forgot to roll the window up when I parked it, went back laughed at my self, reached in and unlocked the door, found out the alarm worked, figured out how to shut it off and cruised home. This was my dream car, and I got it.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Sue isn't really striped

I had never heard of the SVX until I started researching cars that I could afford and fixated on the SVX before ever meeting one.

I remember the first one I test drove. I drove to a subaru dealer in the next state after he assured me that the tranny was great and that there were no major mechanical problems. When I got there, he tried to tell me it was normal for it to skip 1st and go into 2nd with a lurch and the occasional stall.

A few months later I found my SVX and fell in love. I smile every time I see it waiting for me in the parking lot.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:30 PM
MINEZ BETTER

first time lol

my boss loaned me the car for a day. and all i remember is truthfully having the pedal to the metal enter on ramps, turns. i was liking it because it wasnt my car it was my boss. till i didnt give it back to him because i feel in love with pearly. so i bought it for $7500 and still spoil my pearly.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon