Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-14-2003, 06:22 AM
I'm just sayin'..........

Question Low oil level

Ok I'm confused.....

I checked my oil this morning after I started the car(which may be the problem), but the oil level on the dipstick was way down at the bottom where it starts to curve. It was like 14 degrees outside and I'm not sure if that would have any bearing on the viscosity of the oil or the oil level?

I'm always checking for oil on the ground and under my SVX because of my leaky Loyale. At any rate, there is no trace of oil left on the ground or the underside of the SVX. When I last changed the oil, there was a bit of oil on the top of underbody cover which I cleaned off and attributed to someone spilling oil. As I drive my Loyale on a daily basis and the SVX on the weekends, I'm just now reaching the 3000 mile mark between oil changes. That being the case, how could the car be just over 2 quarts low if I don't drive it that much and where is it all going as I can find no signs of a leak?

Should I be concerned?

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 01-14-2003, 06:49 AM

You should wait a few minutes after turning the engine off to allow all the oil to drain down to the pan. The car must also be perfectly level.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:13 AM
alacrity024

I've found that even letting the car sit for a couple of HOURS won't give me an accurate reading. Perhaps my oil dipstick is weird or something, but the only way to get a real clean reading is to leave the car parked level overnight and check before i start it in the morning. due to the position of the pistons, it takes awhile for all of the oil to drain out and get back to the pan once you've shut the car off. V and inline engines don't have this problem as a result of their "vertical nature"

-adam