Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-21-2004, 10:03 AM

Odd car problem

I've never heard about this from anyone else who has a SVX. Currently I am in Florida so I can't take my car up to the Subaru of Gwinnett dealership and have Porter look at it, so I'm coming back here for some help.

Night driving in my SVX is fun. I've always enjoyed crusing on the highway during the late night/eaaaaaaaaarly morning hours. No one is on the road except truckers, cops don't care if you speed as long as you're not pushing 110mph, and you can pretty much do whatever you'd like as long as it isn't putting anyone in danger.

Also, everything in the car is green when your headlights are on. The display, my Alpine headunit, the indicators, everything. It looks so cool when it is matched with my brown trim and the suede interior. Green on black is really, really neat.

Well, it used to be.

For some reason whenever I turn on my headlights my display doesn't come on. I don't know the correct term for this, but I'm talking about where the speedometer, the tach, the temp gauge, and all of that stuff. Where all the information of what the car is doing while you drive, you know, right behind the steering wheel. I guess it is called a display. Anyway, that and the indicators where the clutch is don't light up anymore.

I miss my green glow =(

Anyway, what could be the problem with this? How can I fix it? About how much would it cost?

I'm completely clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. I'd post pictures, but I have no digital camera. But anyway, if anyone has had this problem before and knows how to fix it, I'd really appreciate a response. I'm kind of cash strapped, but this is something that really bothers me. I can't see how fast I'm going at night.. I need to know how much I have to bull**** to the officer when he pulls me over while speeding

Thanks in advance, guys.

Oh, by the way. I have another issue. My car and I just aren't getting along as of late. Somehow I pissed her off, I guess. She is so tempermental =/

Anyway, my headlights flicker when I drive. It is probably my alternator, but I need to know what size up I should buy. I don't know the stock specifications of my current alty, so if someone could tell me the stock specs and suggest what larget size I should upgrade to, and how much it'd cost to have someone put it in/some instructions to put it in myself, I'd muchly appreciate it.

130k miles when I bought her May 28th

June 10th, 2004 -- Never forget. Well, at least I won't =( *Mourns for his rear-quarter panel*

September 20, 2005 -- The day she finally gave up the fight

April 25th, 2006 -- Bought another SVX!

'92 Teal on Black Subaru SVX LS-L with the touring package. 133k miles when bought on April 25th.

... 135908 as of May 7th =)
Old 07-21-2004, 10:13 AM
red95svx

Hmmm......you didn't turn down the intensity of the interior lights by accident, did you (on the headlight switch)? The only other thing I can think of is a bad connection/short somewhere.

Dave
Old 07-21-2004, 10:15 AM

When I first posted this thread my little brother looked at me and asked me that. I laughed, went outside, and checked. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. I wish it was something that simple.

Never really is, though, is it?

I'm eventually going to go take it down to the local A/R Auto Electric place and have them do a test on it, but I wanted a response from some of the local SVX-Netters before I did that.

June 10th, 2004 -- Never forget. Well, at least I won't =( *Mourns for his rear-quarter panel*

'92 Teal on Black Subaru SVX LS-L with the touring package. 133k miles when bought on April 25th.

Old 07-21-2004, 12:10 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Xodi-SVX
When I first posted this thread my little brother looked at me and asked me that. I laughed, went outside, and checked.

My younger brother thinks it's "cool" to drive around at night with his gauge lights set on low. A few times he has borrowed one of my cars and turned the lights down without me knowing. I nearly had a heart attack when I got into my car one night and noticed none of the gauges lit up...

Dave
Old 07-21-2004, 04:18 PM

Checked it again just for general purposes. It was all the way on "full" where I had left it. You know, the big dot.

I'll play around with it again when it gets to be night time. I hope it is something that simple. Maybe there is a short and just moving the little circle dealy around will fix it.

That would be funny, actually =)