Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Re: e &m rigoli eg33 performance engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Can you please post where you could get this done? I purchased my SVX for around 7k but if I could have simply went this route, the possibility would not have been remote.

Does this mean that I can do this for 6k now that I have an SVX itself? Who's the source?
That doesn't include the car.

I'll do my work in Canadian funds so make it $16000

Autronic SM4 ECM - $2500
Garret gt35r Turbo - $1500
Forged pistons - $1000
Machine work - $1500
6MT swap - $3500
Uprated clutch - $1000
Wastegate - $500
Meth system - $1000
Fabrication parts (piping, metal stock, etc) - $200
Tuning - $1500

Probably around 60-80 hours work, but that would be nearly bulletproof

So if you were going to get it done at a shop, tack on another 5-8 grand to the price tag. If you pick up some tools and get dirty, you'll save a ton of money and have something that is truly yours.

I made 380hp on a 2.2L with stock rods. Add another 2 cylinders to that, 570hp. I wouldn't push it much past that on the stockers tho. I upgraded to Eagle rods for the next phase of my build.

Getting 500hp out of my 2.2L is costing me around 20 grand. It should be a hell of a lot less to get it out of a 3.3.

Last edited by Splinter; 04-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
That doesn't include the car.

I'll do my work in Canadian funds so make it $16000

Autronic SM4 ECM - $2500
Garret gt35r Turbo - $1500
Forged pistons - $1000
Machine work - $1500
6MT swap - $3500
Uprated clutch - $1000
Wastegate - $500
Meth system - $1000
Fabrication parts (piping, metal stock, etc) - $200
Tuning - $1500

Probably around 60-80 hours work, but that would be nearly bulletproof

So if you were going to get it done at a shop, tack on another 5-8 grand to the price tag. If you pick up some tools and get dirty, you'll save a ton of money and have something that is truly yours.

I made 380hp on a 2.2L with stock rods. Add another 2 cylinders to that, 570hp. I wouldn't push it much past that on the stockers tho. I upgraded to Eagle rods for the next phase of my build.

Getting 500hp out of my 2.2L is costing me around 20 grand. It should be a hell of a lot less to get it out of a 3.3.
+1 cost of rods, bearings, valves, cams, headers, full exhaust... That GT35 isn't gonna help you... $13000 doesn't go very far for custom parts.

Tom
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
+1 cost of rods, bearings, valves, cams, headers, full exhaust... That GT35 isn't gonna help you... $13000 doesn't go very far for custom parts.

Tom
Stock rods are fine, as I said above.
same with stock bearings and valves. You don't need to rev it out to 9 grand to make that kind of power.

Cams are about $250 for a regrind, my bad left that out.
Headers aren't necessary, exhaust I included (fabrication parts)
Old 04-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Is this the rigoli eg33 car??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVCN9...8EBAC9&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3o0N...eature=related

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 AM

Registered SVX

Yes that is the EG33 Rigoli WRX
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Good! Cause that sounds dead sexy!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Stock rods are fine, as I said above.
same with stock bearings and valves. You don't need to rev it out to 9 grand to make that kind of power.

Cams are about $250 for a regrind, my bad left that out.
Headers aren't necessary, exhaust I included (fabrication parts)
I would give that engine about 1,000 miles before the bottom end gives... The stock rods are a joke, the bearings are 15 years old and definately worn out. No headers?? Do you want to make power?? Because if so you need to look a little more closely to what you are thinking about. Cams will cost $250 for a pair maybe. Not to mention the restrictions put upon you with the profile due to the short valve and short max lift.

I am running a stock long block in my s/c car. I am not expecting the bottom end to last forever but it has held up to about 300-350 AWHP for about 2500 miles now. I am not pushing it further than that.

I like finding the limits of an engine but what you are suggesting is suicide to a stock bottom end

Tom
Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM

idk man the stock rods are better than you give them credit for.

I put around 10K on the stock rods in my swapped impreza, including autocrosses, a few drag days and a day of lapping at a road course. Not to mention daily thrashing. When I tore down the motor to put the eagles in, there was no abnormal wear on the rods, both ends were still in spec for out of round, they were mint. These are stock 22T rods, which are metallurgically identical to SVX rods.

The crank is bulletproof. Nothing needs to be done to that.

Pistons are a major weak point in any subaru engine, there's no doubt about that.

I thought you were talking about putting in race bearings, OEM replacement bearings are like $150 bucks for the Michigan 77s, which are identical to the massively overpriced subaru pieces.

You don't need headers to make power, the stock headers with a little cleanup will flow whatever you need them to. I'm using stock manifolds with a ceramic coating for my 480hp Impreza build. You're telling me that stock 4-2-1 manifolds on the impreza are going to flow the same as 6-2 manifolds with a larger outlet on the svx? That design should be fine for 600 or so before you need to start messing around with tubular designs, which are far more prone to cracking.

As long as your tune is good, you're running a quality gasoline and you have appropriate failsafes on your meth system, there is no reason to go so crazy with the bottom end.

The eg33 really isn't much different than the ej22, and the ej22 is my sweetheart, I know that motor inside out, hell, there are 5 of them within 60 feet of me at this very moment

But basically my only point is that no one should ever be paying $13,000 for a built subaru motor, because you could build the entire powertrain for that. That's an insane price tag.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

LOL stock exhaust manifolds flowing 600hp... Hilarious... Absolutely hilarious....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Price break down:

3k internals and valvetrain
2k machine work and miscellaneous
2k Hydra EMS
2-5k turbo, intercooler, IC piping
2k misc injectors, clips, and all the miscellaneous stuff that adds up fast.

There is 13k and that counts on you doing all the work yourself.

If I hadnt basically stolen my 6 speed swap I would be into my motor and driveline almost $19k
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
LOL stock exhaust manifolds flowing 600hp... Hilarious... Absolutely hilarious....
You're honestly suggesting that this can outflow the SVX design?

really?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 AM

I am honestly suggesting that people on here have a little bit more expereince with the EG33 than you do.. If I did not have my headers on my car, the power loss would be drastic... Build a eg33, tinker with it, actually dyno test it and then come back. You will be singing a defferent tune....

P.S. For what its worth I believe I have dyno'd my SVX's more than anyone else on here and with a wide variety of mods
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 AM

A motor is a motor is a motor. eg33 or ej22 they obey the same basic rules. 600hp is the same amount of exhaust flow whether its coming from a 1.8l inline 4 or a 7 liter V8.

What was your highest dyno number? Just did a quick search and all I could find is an old post from 07 with only 230whp.

Besides, you're supercharged, not turbocharged, which makes a HUGE difference in this discussion. A supercharged motor is a lot like an N/A motor in the exhaust department, you want the exhaust out of the engine as quickly as possible, with scavenging being the only thing to be concerned about. With a turbo setup, between the motor and the turbo you want to do anything you can to keep the exhaust gases hot, under pressure and with the pulses as close together as you can. This makes for a faster spool. Multiple dynos have shown time and time again that headers on a turbo subaru hurt performance until you start getting into the 500whp range. They kill spool times and take away a lot of bottom end in exchange for small gains at the top.

If I were to turbo an EG33, I'd use the stock manifolds, then build a collector/uppipe with a similar design to the turbo 4s, if possible (havent looked at the bolt pattern), flip them around, run a crosspipe across the front of the motor, and put the turbo in front of the passenger footwell. At any rate, even if you did decide you needed to build custom headers, there isn't more than 200 bucks of material in there.

I might not have as much experience with the eg33 specifically, but I'd hazard a guess that I've built as many subie motors as anyone else here. I'm not building an eg33 because my svx is supposed to be my comfortable DD. My impreza is my fast car.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Ok, I do agree with your comment on headers there. If I was doing a turbo set up (depending on how I was routing the up-pipes) I would very likely use the stock manifolds. However in N/A and s/c set ups you absolutely need them.....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

It's amazing how one small misunderstanding can totally change the direction of discussion