Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 AM

SVX turns off while it's running

I would like to know if someone has ever had the same problem that I have with my SVX. It occurs from time to time and I have no idea what the cause may be. The fact is that my SVX turns off completely while it’s running. It happens at low speeds, and, as I see it, it’s very probable that it may always happen during a turn and without speeding up. The motor turns off suddenly and the car remains without any electricity, circulating under position D, as it would do under position N. The result is that, since there’s no electricity, the power steering does not work any more and it turns out quite dangerous to drive the car. I would appreciate any information about the matter or whether anyone has ever gone through this problem. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: SVX turns off while it's running

I think you'll find that there is electricity. The power steering is driven by a pump with a pulley. When the engine stops, the power steering pump stops spinning.
It sounds like your MAF sensor is failing, a common issue on an old SVX. Quite often it can be repaired by prying open the square cap on the MAF and re-soldering the connections.
There is a How To thread on this site.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Does the engine actually shut off? Do you have to turn the key to get it started again? Or is the only symptom that the power steering cuts out?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:29 AM
Some Random Weirdo

There are a lot of people with MAFs for sale. I can't imagine they would cost you too much. Ask on one of the FB pages.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:14 AM

Thank you very much for your responses. Hocrest, the engine does actually shut off and you have to turn the key to get the car started again.
What I usually do is to try stop at the side and re-start the car, when it´s possible. There has been some time that I´ve had to start the car on the N position since there was no chance to step aside.
I really appreciate all your support since I live in Spain and there are very few SVX in here, not to talk about the misinformation of the mechanichs, including those from the official mechanichal workshops.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It does sound like a MAF. Mine would do the same thing when it was going bad
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 PM

My 94 did the exact same thing, more often right after I made a turn and gave the car some gas. It was the MAF. There is some info on this site on how to open up the MAF and do a little soldering to fix the problem. That's that i did and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

while this happens, no check engine light codes pop up? I'd think that the ECU would detect a MAF sensor fault and report it.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-25-2016, 05:10 AM

A faulty MAF is known to NOT pop a CEL code for some reason. Go on eBay and get the cheaper MAF for a Legacy....Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor for Subaru Forester Impreza Legacy 2.5L...with part number ending in "A160". Been using one on my 1992 for a couple years, several thousand miles without a problem..takes a while when first installed for the ECU is recalibtate things a bit so it might initially run somewhat rough at idle. Google or a Search will confirm others have gone this route. BTW, I had 2 OEM MAFs go bad and my attempts to cure with a resolder were to no avail.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Ditto on the MAF sensor... Been there, done that. I had exactly the same symptoms. It was just like the key was pulled out of the ignition. At low speed, I'd have to hit neutral to re start.. at higher speed, especially if the torque converter was locked, it'd just pause for a second or two, and then the power would come back. It never threw a code for it either. I put in the spare from my donor car, and it took a few run cycles to smooth out, but it's been fine since..