SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Power Mode Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
my D doesn't work either..I just play it off as "Hey, at least I know I'm in Drive"
I've been saying: "hmm, I wonder what gear I'm in!". When I got the car the indicator on the shift lever itself didn't work either, but now that's fixed.

It's just weird that none of them work even though the other six bulbs are good. Makes sense that D would be out. It's the bulb that's lit the most

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Registered SVX

i would start by removing the aftermarket alarm. if it's anything like the usual best buy hack job install then it's likely to be part of your problem.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX8588 View Post
I guess I should have started a new thread. I just took the instrument panel out and tested some bulbs. The power and manu bulbs are fine. Also checked the gear indicator bulbs (none have ever worked for me), and the only one blown was the "D" bulb.
So it seems that I have a bigger problem than blown bulbs.

Here's what doesn't work:

1: gear indicator lights in dash. All bulbs except "D" are good.

2: Power light / mode. I'm sure the bulb is good, but it doesn't even come on momentarily when I start the car. I have never seen the bulb light, and have not noticed any significant change in shifting when I "mash the gas"

3: Manual light / mode. I have played with the manual button and shift lever several times and it doesn't seem to make any difference no matter what combination I try.

4: a few other random illumination bulbs (defroster, cruise, etc). I think these are just blown bulbs, but I figured I would note it anyway.

5: the ABS doesn't work. I think it's just missing a relay. although I have noticed the air bag light on as well...

6: the security system. the light comes on when I push the button but I can't get it into programming mode so I'm not sure if my keyfob works. I don't think the electric locks work either. I think there was an aftermarket security system installed at one point because there is a black box under the steering column that says Astroflex on it.

Most everything else electrical seems to work.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

P.S. I'll start a new thread if that would be better...
Hi can't tell you much more, but all those lights get their power from the dimmer control. What ever that is.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
i would start by removing the aftermarket alarm. if it's anything like the usual best buy hack job install then it's likely to be part of your problem.
Good idea. I'll try that first and hopefully won't mess anything else up in the process

I'll have to check a wiring diagram to see where the illumination control is. I mean dimmer control. Thanks for the tip Harvey.

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700

Last edited by SVX8588; 02-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Are there any photos for the instalation with the switch? The first posts photos were removed.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:46 AM

hi, just wonder if this would be a workable switch to try to make this mod look as stock as posible. i have a ob2 with out a light and this switch is lighted so i will no it on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-PATHF...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Can someone clear up the installation process? After reading 41 pages I got lost Some hooked the wires without a switch or to the cruise control or to an after market switch or the manual switch or added a ground, or other. I would like to hook it up to the manual button but also use it when needed. Photos would be helpful.

Subaru SVX for fun
Ford Ranger for work

Last edited by dannmarr; 05-19-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Can someone clear up the installation process? After reading 41 pages I got lost Some hooked the wires without a switch or to the cruise control or to an after market switch or the manual switch or added a ground, or other. I would like to hook it up to the manual button but also use it when needed. Photos would be helpful.
I made a video a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeMhfqHJvA

Even put a switch in between it because you certainly don't want to be driving in power mode while on the highway but after about 3 months of using power mode during regular driving my transmission died. Can't really say this did or did not contribute to the premature failure of my transmission but I'm guessing it sure as hell didn't help anything.

If you're going to do it, just ground it like I did with a switch in-between somewhere so you can turn it off when hopping onto the highway... don't make it harder to install if you don't have to. Granted, you'll definitely be more compelled to drive the SVX a lot harder with the power mode because it's just so much more fun to do so.... that could have been the actual reason behind my tranny kicking the bucket as well. You tend to just take advantage of it after it is installed and drive the **** out of it.,,, as I did. In my case, I should have changed the transmission fluid sooner and being there is 209k miles on the car, it's hard telling how long that transmission was on the car itself so it very well may have been a coincidence... a rather **** one at that.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I did the install but I got no Power light. It lights up on start up, but not when I use the switch. I hooked up A4 to a toggle switch, then to the blue wire under the kick panel. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a specific type of switch?

Subaru SVX for fun
Ford Ranger for work
Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I did the install but I got no Power light. It lights up on start up, but not when I use the switch. I hooked up A4 to a toggle switch, then to the blue wire under the kick panel. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a specific type of switch?
Try connecting the pin directly to ground (any metal part of the car basically). Maybe you have a bad connection somewhere. You don't have to actually put in on the blue wire, anything that's grounded will work. Any kind of basic switch will work, but post a pic of the switch so we can take a look.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

I still need to do this..
Old 05-21-2012, 01:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
As long as your switch it a "toggle" (flip switch for continuous "on" or "off"), and not a "momentary" (push and hold for "on") type, then yes you have the right switch.

Run a wire from the other side the switch to a piece of metal frame in your car.
I used a ring terminal on one the bolts under there, I think it may have been the one that holds the TCU bracket, it was one them easy to get to bolts under there I used.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I removed the connection from the blue wire under the kick panel and used the metal frame of the car. It works! This explains why I was unable to clear engine codes with the blue wire, probably a bad connection.
Thanks to all for your help! I will test it tonight.
Another question: when should I use it?
When passing, getting onto the highway, going uphill, etc?

Subaru SVX for fun
Ford Ranger for work
Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
I removed the connection from the blue wire under the kick panel and used the metal frame of the car. It works! This explains why I was unable to clear engine codes with the blue wire, probably a bad connection.
Thanks to all for your help! I will test it tonight.
Another question: when should I use it?
When passing, getting onto the highway, going uphill, etc?
Mine is in Power Mode all the time, as it will still do the torque converter lock-up in that mode. I think the US one will not lock-up if the Power is on, so just turn it off when on the long cruise.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Mine is in Power Mode all the time, as it will still do the torque converter lock-up in that mode. I think the US one will not lock-up if the Power is on, so just turn it off when on the long cruise.

Harvey.
You are correct, it doesn't lock up if power mode is on.

Under 50 mph, I drive with the shifter in 3, with power mode on. If I'm cruising above 50, I put the shifter in D and turn power mode off. Sometimes on the highway if I'm trying to pass or just generally in a fast mood, I'll turn power mode back on. Cruising along in 4th with the torque converter locked up gives really good gas mileage, but it doesn't lock up until 50. And, driving below about 45-50 in 4th is not ideal for the stock transmission.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album