Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 04-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
First, it will do blue tooth perfectly, though you need to do "voice dial" or use the handset for dialing if your not "parked" or so they seem to imply. The on screen, the number pad will not work if it thinks your "moving".
I believe the "correct" adapter can be gotten from any stereo place. However I believe the adapter is just a relay. My installer only installed a relay and most of the functionality is there. I have only a couple never used options that tell me I can not use them as im not "parked" Those options are auto eq setup and if I remember correctly a screen calibration tool. Of note though I have never had any trouble with the screen calibration and all manual EQ settings work fine.
Ok

Sounds all good. It will know when I am parked and when I am parked most everything will work as it should

Many thanks
92 SVX LS-L - Teal- 254,000 KLM
04 Outback - 330,000 KLM
Old 04-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSVX View Post
I have that unit ... as well.
The only complaint I have is that, unless I am missing something, power goes to the antenna when any source is selected even if you aren't listening to the radio.
Many HUs, including the AVH-P3300BT, only have one wire for both speaker amp remote turn-on and power antenna control. So it has to activate that lead the entire time the HU is on. Other HUs have a separate control lead for the power antenna, which works the way you would like.

You may also be able to install the European OEM antenna control switch. See this post. The button can be also installed in the similar opening below the shift lever. Added: USDM cars won't have the wiring for it, of course, but it's a nice, stock switch that actually has the correct label for what you want it to do. If someone can get the part number, you should be able to order it from avoJDM or JapanParts.

To find the method to avoid needing to connect to the parking brake switch, Google "parking brake bypass" with your HU's model number.

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the harness SVXdc. Is it possible to get to the antenna wire and install a switch without taking the whole dash apart?

1997 Laguna Pearl LSi 39 000 mi 62 000 km

1992 Claret LS-L Sold 105 000 mi 169 000 km

1988 XT6 Written Off 111 000 mi 180 000 km
Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post

To find the method to avoid needing to connect to the parking brake switch, Google "parking brake bypass" with your HU's model number.
they sell them on ebay relatively cheap
i looked them up the other day
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX

I would still like to wire in a switch for the power antenna. Is the antenna wire easy to locate? Would this be something I could easily do myself or should I take it to the guy who installed my head unit?

Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I would still like to wire in a switch for the power antenna. Is the antenna wire easy to locate? Would this be something I could easily do myself or should I take it to the guy who installed my head unit?
You need to add the switch so that it interrupts the connection on the power antenna lead between the HU and the car (or between the HU and the blue wire on my harness, for people who use that).

Wiring that is fairly easy. The harder part may be installing the switch somewhere. If you go with the OEM European antenna switch, you would have to open up the center console around your shift lever.

Basically, you'll have to open up some panels for most places you would put the switch. But if you can safely connect wires together, you should be able to do this yourself. Just find walk-throughs here for whatever portion of the dash you need to open up.

(sorry for the long delay in replying)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the reply, it motivated me to look into the problem again as I had put it on the back burner. I have been able to locate the antenna wires easily enough but not the power wire for the antenna to install a switch so I simply unplugged the power at the antenna motor.
This is good enough for now as I almost never listen to the radio but if you have any tips on easily locating the power wire near to the stereo let me know.
It really isn't that big of a problem I just don't like the look of the antenna and I want to avoid ripping my car apart to install a switch that I might use once every two years.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, it motivated me to look into the problem again as I had put it on the back burner. I have been able to locate the antenna wires easily enough but not the power wire for the antenna to install a switch so I simply unplugged the power at the antenna motor.
This is good enough for now as I almost never listen to the radio but if you have any tips on easily locating the power wire near to the stereo let me know.
It really isn't that big of a problem I just don't like the look of the antenna and I want to avoid ripping my car apart to install a switch that I might use once every two years.
There is no "power" wire to the antenna as mentioned behind the stereo there is a blue wire that runs out from the stereo and into the factory wires. when the stereo turns on that wire sends power to the antenna when the stereo turns off, or you interrupt the signal with a switch the antenna lowers.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I have been able to locate the antenna wires easily enough but not the power wire for the antenna to install a switch so I simply unplugged the power at the antenna motor.
Well, it is nice to be able to use your radio when there is severe weather, traffic problems, an outbreak of zombie polar bears, etc.

The motorized antenna actually has two power leads. One, connected from the battery (through a fuse), powers the motor itself. You don't need to mess with that.

The second lead is a low-current control. The head unit (HU, or radio) uses this to command the antenna to raise and lower. The HU supplies +12V on that lead during the entire time it wants the antenna up. That lead is pin #18 on the SVX's radio harness (Blue wire on my SVX installation harness -- see my homepage for pin-out table). Your installer connected that to a Blue/White wire on the Pioneer's harness.

All you need to do is break that connection (between the Pioneer's harness and my harness) and install a two-terminal switch (single pole single throw, or "SPST") in between. You'll need to extend the wires so you can mount the switch somewhere convenient. Or find a switch that has a few feet of wires already soldered on -- many car stereo shops will have those, since they're used for car alarm systems.