Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 AM

MAF sensor swap question

My 94 SVX has stalling problem due to the MAF sensor. I have tried to spray clean it but problem still exists. A new one from the dealer is about $400 and ebay lists mostly re-manufactured ones for about $170. Ebay has tons of MAF sensor for Legacy's/Impreza's/Forester's for $23/$60+ and $!00+; the part #'s are almost identical to the SVX # except for the last 4 digits (SVX- AA200 and others are 2 digits/letter and digits ranging from 160 to 201). They all look the same, so are any other Subaru model MAF sensors compatible/swap for the SVX.Subaru raided the parts bin for many other part (Legacy calipers) so I'm sure that they didn't make a MAF sensor just for the limited SVX.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Re: MAF sensor swap question

Someone said they work just fine except for the very highest rpm/air flow. Fine for everything except maybe the track.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:16 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Did you look at the "How To" for re-soldering the connections inside, it's really simple and works.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:21 AM

Registered SVX

An EJ MAF should only be used for diagnostic. It does not measure the air properly ratioed for the SVX ecu and will run the car lean. This is bad for long term use. So, to confirm yours is bad, and someone has an EJ Subaru with a MAF, go ahead and swap to confirm. Then get a replacement.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 PM

No, I didn't look on how to re soldering since other Subaru MAF sensors were so inexpensive but if the other Subaru Mafs don't work, I'll have to try it. I'm not about to spend $400 for something that can be bought for other cars at a minimal cost.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
An EJ MAF should only be used for diagnostic. It does not measure the air properly ratioed for the SVX ecu and will run the car lean. This is bad for long term use. So, to confirm yours is bad, and someone has an EJ Subaru with a MAF, go ahead and swap to confirm. Then get a replacement.
Thanx for the info Nate!
Old 05-01-2015, 03:58 PM

Searching through some old MAF threads and came across a thread swapping a N62 MAF sensor from a Z32. Is this a recommended swap for a stock engine or do I need to upgrade injectors and more?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:17 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

You need the whole set - ecutune stage 2 chip, z32 MAF, and 370cc injectors.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-03-2015, 01:15 PM

Registered SVX

Also, fyi. aftermarket MAFs are around $200 new for the SVX with warranty and work well.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:38 PM

I recently had a problem similar to yours - my SVX would stall when coming to a stop, or right after I accelerated from a stop. I was getting an engine code 23 which is the MAF sensor. I replaced it with one for a 97 Legacy with the 2.5 liter engine which I got from ebay for around $35. Works just fine. Only very small issue was connecting the electrical plug to the sensor was a tight fit, but thats it. Car has been running fine now for a couple of hundred miles. I just checked and there are a bunch of similar MAFs on ebay.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:10 PM

I'm very tempted to do the same thing. The new MAF sensors on ebay for other Subaru's are very reasonable but the SVX sensor is way over priced. Even $200+ for an aftermarket isn't reasonable. I'm hesitating because other posts have recommended against using the 4 cylinder sensors. Even the z62 sensor can be purchased new for under $50. I'm driving locally so a few stalls isn't so bad. For $400, I'm going to try to solder the sensor.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 PM

Registered SVX

try soldering first but it that doesn't work i would run with it disconnected before paying money for the wrong part. if you disconnect it when the car is off it will run with out it. you will run rich because it will set a code and force the car into open loop but it's a lot better than running the chance of going too lean because your maf is the wrong one.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Buy the Legacy sensor and use that to get the car working. Take the SVX MAF Off and resolder it, or send it to someone to resolder it for you. When done, swap them and put the Legacy MAF on the shelf for backup.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-11-2015, 08:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemgee View Post
I recently had a problem similar to yours - my SVX would stall when coming to a stop, or right after I accelerated from a stop. I was getting an engine code 23 which is the MAF sensor. I replaced it with one for a 97 Legacy with the 2.5 liter engine which I got from ebay for around $35. Works just fine. Only very small issue was connecting the electrical plug to the sensor was a tight fit, but thats it. Car has been running fine now for a couple of hundred miles. I just checked and there are a bunch of similar MAFs on ebay.
You also risk burning a valve from running lean along with cat converter failures. Which only show up after prolonged running.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

There is a need to clear this up before it becomes "Internet law".

The graph the Michael showed, has the two curves for the two Mass Air Flow units, they are very similar, slight different at full voltage readings.
The voltage rises as the air flow increases, the ECU uses this to set the fuel and the spark settings, when the voltage signal reaches maximum reading, the ECU goes to the full throttle settings that apply max fuel and spark setting, for a fully loaded engine.

The point that people are missing is that the max. voltage reading for the two units are at different air flows. The 3.3 unit reaches full voltage when it is passing 3.3 lts of air. the Legacy reaches max voltage when it passes 2.2lts. of air. So when you fit the Legacy unit to the SVX it goes into full fuel and spark settings when 2.2lts is passing, it then holds this same voltage setting while the last 1.1lts is passed.

So it won't run lean, it will actually run the same full throttle settings as the SVX unit does, only doing it 33% earlier.

Of course this will only happen at full throttle, when in open loop, at normal driving in closed loop, the Svx will use the O2 sensors to use the same settings as it does with its own MAF fitted.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.