Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 PM

94' SVX - Does not start - Code 11?

Hey,

First of all, I'd like to thank the administrators, moderators and all members of this site for keeping an encyclopedia on SVXs going. I have to say that the info on this site has helped me a lot over the years. THANK YOU!

But, this problem is a doozy. It's a red 1994 SVX LSi that's been converted to 5spd from a 06' impreza donor; that's pretty it in terms of mods, rest is standard but it is for sure my most fun and reliable vehicle for the last 4 years. This spring, when i took it out of storage to get it prepped for summer, i noticed it took a while longer to start (I didn't think too much of it). I did however run it for about 2 months but the problem gradually got worse. To the point that sometimes i would have to use the slope of my driveway to bump start it. Finally I took some time to look up the codes and i got 11, 31 and 33 (this last one is because i never hooked up the speed sensor after the swap).

So due to the no start up issue, i started with code 11, crank angle sensor 1. After removing sensor #1 (sensor at 10 o'clock), i checked its resistance readings and they were good. Even checked for AC voltage when moving a magnet in front of it and it would show change in reading. I then removed sensor #2(vertical one) and got no readings in either test, which was weird since the code was for sensor #1. I decided to order a replacement sensor (no OE available anymore, so went with a 03' impreza one) and then replaced it. Tried to start it, but no luck. Swapped the 2 sensors, still no luck, and now i'm stuck!

Has any of you come across this kind of issue? Are my wirings correct? I feel like i'm missing something here (probably something stupid). I'd really appreciate any help.
Also, is it an issue starting the engine without the alternator (just getting a bit lazy with having to remove it every time)

Note: the connector housing was removed to ensure i was connected the ground wire to the left pin of the sensors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Crank Sensors.jpg (818.7 KB, 627 views)

Tags
crank, issue, sensors, start