How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Yes you are getting this right.

However there is no limit switch as such. A simple mechanical trigger prevents the inadvertent movement of the lever from the park position and therefore works as a safety catch and it should be operating freely.
There is definitely a switch. It is one of those rectangular switches with the little metal arm that pivots on the one end attached to the rectangular housing and has a tiny button/plunger under the metal arm which is connected to the switch inside the housing. A lot of people use these as interlock switches on the enclosures of dangerous equipment like high power lasers. It looks like it gets depressed when the selector is in park and the button on the gear selector is not depressed. In other words, it gets released as soon as the button on the gear selector is pushed in. It is depressed by the metal pin that rides in the metal track as you move the gear selector through the gear selections.

I don't think it matters for this discussion. I was just curious.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
There is definitely a switch. It is one of those rectangular switches with the little metal arm that pivots on the one end attached to the rectangular housing and has a tiny button/plunger under the metal arm which is connected to the switch inside the housing. A lot of people use these as interlock switches on the enclosures of dangerous equipment like high power lasers. It looks like it gets depressed when the selector is in park and the button on the gear selector is not depressed. In other words, it gets released as soon as the button on the gear selector is pushed in. It is depressed by the metal pin that rides in the metal track as you move the gear selector through the gear selections.

I don't think it matters for this discussion. I was just curious.
You have described a typical off the shelf micro switch and my car did not have one and I can find nothing showing it in the US electrical wiring diagrams I have. Could it be an add-on and the cause of your trouble ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Trevor (and others),

the micro switch together with the interlock button and solenoid relay are found on some JDM models and also some USA types - there maybe other countries.

Here are 3 photos that I took of a spare unit I have (I used the POWER button only for my TCU ROM upgrade) + the service manual page showing all 3 devices..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4895.JPG (857.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4896.JPG (835.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4897.JPG (822.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (663.8 KB, 198 views)
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.

Last edited by SURTEESS; 02-06-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:02 PM

Registered SVX

Absolutely great work Steve, Kiwis to the rescue. LOL

The mysteries continue. Of special interest is the inhibiter switch P Range as shown on the wiring diagram. *This would appear be the elusive micro switch and itv certainly must be taken into account along with the included circuitry. *P.S.On second thoughts I think I am wrong in this respect and that within the circuitry the micro switch remains unidentified. Exact information would certainly be helpful and much appreciated.

Having to check all this out under snow conditions is a herculean undertaking and we must commiserate with Tony.

Special Thanks, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 02-06-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: PS
Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 AM

Trevor,
Yes was a bit surprised when I took my gear shifter apart to fit the POWER switch - we don't have any of that interlocking stuff...wonder why not?

Maybe it is a law in some countries that you need multiple lockouts for safety reasons - or that there are silly people around that need protecting from themselves?.
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 AM

Registered SVX

OK Steve,

Do you know how it works electrically and in particular does it involve the starter circuitry ? If it does, Tony should check it out.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-07-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 AM

Judging by my earlier photos and also the wiring diagram, I would say that the micro switch is connector R51 (white) with postion 3 and 4.

Position 1 and 2 of R51 (white) is actually located on another page - this is the manual/eco push button on the gear selector (it has black sheath with 2 pins in the 3rd picture) - I took the pins out to measure them against another project.

Really you are looking at the A/T shift lock control unit pins 5 & 6 being grounded, I have a couple of spare A/T control units (USDM and a JDM) to look at tomorrow, will see if there are any differences - I don't have one on my NZ new version?. This unit is normally located just behind the hand brake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1997-S...-/142606268142

Last edited by SURTEESS; 02-07-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:36 AM

The interlock switch on the shifter unit that gets depressed when in park is for the key release in the steering column. You cannot switch the key all the way to lock and remove it in any gear other than park. It has no connection to the starting circuit.

The starting circuit runs through the selector switch on the side of the transmission and will only be connected in park and neutral. With the cable disconnected at the transmission the switch can be moved into position by hand from under the car. All the way to the rear is park.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:31 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
The interlock switch on the shifter unit that gets depressed when in park is for the key release in the steering column. You cannot switch the key all the way to lock and remove it in any gear other than park. It has no connection to the starting circuit.

The starting circuit runs through the selector switch on the side of the transmission and will only be connected in park and neutral. With the cable disconnected at the transmission the switch can be moved into position by hand from under the car. All the way to the rear is park.
That makes perfect sense. I wonder if this was added on OBD2 cars.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 02-07-2019, 06:38 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
Trevor (and others),

the micro switch together with the interlock button and solenoid relay are found on some JDM models and also some USA types - there maybe other countries.

Here are 3 photos that I took of a spare unit I have (I used the POWER button only for my TCU ROM upgrade) + the service manual page showing all 3 devices..
Do you have pics of the underside of that thing? I would like to see where it attaches to the shift cable.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Do you have pics of the underside of that thing? I would like to see where it attaches to the shift cable.
Exactly my thoughts Tony when I saw the photos.

I have just phoned Steve drawing his attention to your post and we have discussed your problem and just how you can get some lube down the inter connecting Bowden cable. He is hopeful that this is possible from the top end and is taking some more pictures for you so that you are aware of the area which can not be seen.

With the Tireiron's important added advice, working from opposite sides of the planet we will get you mobile. LOL

Last edited by Trevor; 02-07-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM

OK guys here are more pictures - the cable is NOT available from within the cab, unless you manage to lift the whole assembly from the floor (which means loosening the cable end at the gearbox or the thumbwheel at the selector end)

There is a simple thumb adjustment under the selector area where the cable terminates, this is the best way the disconnect cable and then remove selector assembly.

The solenoid key shift lock (red and black wires) are located on connector R50 (black) - the option to look at is supply 12V/1A and see if you can hear any clicking (this will disarm and then you should be able to move gear selector).

If this works then the power supply for R50 (black) comes from the A/T shift lock unit and that is where the problem lies - check that there is actually 12V from pin 6 - if 12V from the A/T shift unit then the solenoid is fried.

There are 2 more photos to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4898.JPG (864.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4899.JPG (722.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4900.JPG (631.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4901.JPG (687.2 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4902.JPG (804.6 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by SURTEESS; 02-07-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM

last 2 photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4903.JPG (879.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4904.JPG (768.4 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by SURTEESS; 02-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:28 PM

Here are the 2 shift lock units that I have.
JDM on the LHS / USA on the RHS.

Both units use the same box / PCB.

Different mounting metalwork, and some areas of the pcb are more populated on the JDM version.

Did the USA not get a reversing buzzer (beeper) - or maybe it is part of the headlight on reminder under the dashboard?.

Since Niles was the board design company, maybe the same PCB was used in other car models (non-Subaru and non-SVX) - as there are various holes that are not used in either design, also they would do is add or delete on the components silkscreen.

Currently heading away from computer for the weekend - heading to the sunny far north (27+ deg C) to do some fishing, I am sure that someone can trace out what pins are 5 and 6 (which are along the top row nearest relay) Pin 6 is actually shown near JP2.

Here is one on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1997-S...0507%7Ciid%3A1

Thats all till next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4911.JPG (638.1 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4912.JPG (792.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4913.JPG (414.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4915.JPG (426.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4916.JPG (779.6 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by SURTEESS; 02-10-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
OK guys here are more pictures - the cable is NOT available from within the cab, unless you manage to lift the whole assembly from the floor (which means loosening the cable end at the gearbox or the thumbwheel at the selector end)

There is a simple thumb adjustment under the selector area where the cable terminates, this is the best way the disconnect cable and then remove selector assembly.

The solenoid key shift lock (red and black wires) are located on connector R50 (black) - the option to look at is supply 12V/1A and see if you can hear any clicking (this will disarm and then you should be able to move gear selector).

If this works then the power supply for R50 (black) comes from the A/T shift lock unit and that is where the problem lies - check that there is actually 12V from pin 6 - if 12V from the A/T shift unit then the solenoid is fried.

There are 2 more photos to come.
Thanks. These are really useful. Any idea where these cables usually seize? Is it at one of the ends or along the length. This sucker is really bound up!