Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Upcoming Meets
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2001, 07:40 AM
Headed to Texas...

Unhappy Dang!

Harry - that is awful news, but glad you are still with us!
We were really looking forward to the Snowshoe Gang reunion! Still are, of course - but sad you won't be there . . .

Let us know how you are doing!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 09-22-2001, 07:16 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Off to the Valley

Jean and I are off to Canaan Valley to check out the area for the meet.
We will check back with everyone tomorrow with all the latest.
Don
Old 09-22-2001, 04:51 PM

Oct20 Meet

Hello all.
WOW 15 pages of a thread ..

The place sounds like a great pick. I"m in NC so it's not too far from me. Only problem. umm, my transmission just DIED.
Talk about being a little bummed. THe cost of not only the transmission but what else is going to need replacing and added.

I just recently had the tranny flushed, and felt everything was OK.
THis car has had the Aux filter on it for years and years. And it's been replaced serveral times. ALong with the transmission.
I'm the 2nd owner.

I was given no warning of impeeding failure. Just Poof. NO reverse, 1st and 2nd gear work though

I had some planned work to be done before the meet. Bearings have been toast for the last 8 months. One was replaced in Dec and I complained to the dealership about it. They told me it was tires. So I accepted that.. How in sand hill do these things Fail. These bearings are HUGE.
That was all I thought I might need to do. UNTL .........
my tranny said See ya.
SO I have no idea if I can get the SVX fixed before this meet. but I"m sure going to try.
Thanks
SVX1999
92 Ls-L BLack /Claret
119K on the clock, 40K on the dead tranny
Asheville, NC
Old 09-22-2001, 06:31 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Oct20 Meet

Quote:
Originally posted by svx1999
Hello all.
WOW 15 pages of a thread ..

The place sounds like a great pick. I"m in NC so it's not too far from me. Only problem. umm, my transmission just DIED.
Talk about being a little bummed. THe cost of not only the transmission but what else is going to need replacing and added.

I just recently had the tranny flushed, and felt everything was OK.
THis car has had the Aux filter on it for years and years. And it's been replaced serveral times. ALong with the transmission.
I'm the 2nd owner.

I was given no warning of impeeding failure. Just Poof. NO reverse, 1st and 2nd gear work though

I had some planned work to be done before the meet. Bearings have been toast for the last 8 months. One was replaced in Dec and I complained to the dealership about it. They told me it was tires. So I accepted that.. How in sand hill do these things Fail. These bearings are HUGE.
That was all I thought I might need to do. UNTL .........
my tranny said See ya.
SO I have no idea if I can get the SVX fixed before this meet. but I"m sure going to try.
Thanks
SVX1999
92 Ls-L BLack /Claret
119K on the clock, 40K on the dead tranny
Asheville, NC
If you go to the suby dealership, they can get your car turn around within a week and half at most -- at least in chicago.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-23-2001, 04:37 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Bum tranny

SVX1999....hope you get that tranny repaired in time and can come join us! Don
Old 09-23-2001, 05:08 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Reconnoiter

Jean and I left Saturday morning and drove to Elkins by way of Summersville, to check on some stove products. We checked into a Travel Lodge and then continued across the mountains and up to Blackwater Falls, back down to Canaan Valley and back to Elkins for the night. Blackwater Falls was SWARMING with deer, and we stopped the car and had conversations with several of them. The Falls were beautiful (as was the weather) but I noticed that the handicapped ramp (Jerry & Roni) only extended to the upper deck of a boardwalk to the Falls. At least some of the Falls can be viewed from there. I checked on several places to eat on the way back to Canaan, including one little place with its own micro-brewery. Canaan was ALSO infested with Bambi-clones, but we inspected the dining room and (Larry) the "bah". Nice view overlooking the golf course.
The desk was quite busy with a wedding going on, so I didn't ask to see our rooms. There is a main lodge with two smaller lodges next door, right next to Randy and Shari's tree house. We then returned to Elkins for the night.

This morning we returned to the park entrance and drove up to Dolly Sods Wilderness area (John's website photos). The first 5 miles is tight, twisting two lane and then gravel for another 5 miles to the first overlook. Jean and I were in the Impreza, and I have doubts as to how many would wish to subject their SVX's to that road, although we passed or were passed by all kinds of cars including a Fiero. Thirty minutes one way to the first overlook. Anyone going might wish to stick to the trails; unexploded practice bombs from WWII are said to be scattered about.. The access road for this is just outside the park. Another short drive brings Seneca Rocks, which is a DEFINITE stop. Another short drive gets us to Seneca Caverns, which has a slight group discount but no handicap access. We then drove two miles up paved road and 10 miles up gravel to Spruce Knob, the highest mountain in WV. The view was GLORIOUS (our only previous trip up ran us into fog and rain) but by the time we got back down, Jean's car had enough dirt on it to plant a crop. This one is only for those with bad paint jobs and a stout tranny. So here is my recommendations:

Blackwater Falls....the falls and Astronomy weekend (good weather) so folks would let
us peep through their scopes, trip over the deer
Canaan....hiking trails, horses, golf, dining room," bah", deer outside asking for handouts
Seneca Rocks....great view of awesome rock formations and information center...Beau-ti-Full
Seneca Caverns....largest cavern in WV
Off-park eating and watering holes, gift/craft shops (ladies?)....several

ONLY FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE THAT AWD MEANS ATV....Dolly Sods and Spruce Knob.

The leaves are just begining to turn...hopefully they will not all be gone before we get there, but we are talking the highest (and coldest) part of the state. Everyone will have to drive through lots of lower areas full of leaves just to get there, so I'm not too worried. BRING JACKETS, IT WILL BE NIPPY!

Passed Green Bank and the GBT on the way home: the first time ever that I did not stop. Got home slightly dizzy; I will be making tight mountain turns in my sleep!

I am now available to take questions.... Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 09-23-2001 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2001, 10:48 PM
Directionally Challenged

Send a message via AIM to Shadowyng
Talking When is it???? AGain%$*$(%&*

Without having to go through the fifteen pages of post,, I was wondering if you could post when the meet is planned for... Might be in SC on not working.. Thanks again everyone!!!!
Old 09-24-2001, 05:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Reconnoiter

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Jean and I left Saturday morning and drove to Elkins by way of Summersville, to check on some stove products. We checked into a Travel Lodge and then continued across the mountains and up to Blackwater Falls, back down to Canaan Valley and back to Elkins for the night. Blackwater Falls was SWARMING with deer, and we stopped the car and had conversations with several of them. The Falls were beautiful (as was the weather) but I noticed that the handicapped ramp (Jerry & Roni) only extended to the upper deck of a boardwalk to the Falls. At least some of the Falls can be viewed from there. I checked on several places to eat on the way back to Canaan, including one little place with its own micro-brewery. Canaan was ALSO infested with Bambi-clones, but we inspected the dining room and (Larry) the "bah". Nice view overlooking the golf course.
The desk was quite busy with a wedding going on, so I didn't ask to see our rooms. There is a main lodge with two smaller lodges next door, right next to Randy and Shari's tree house. We then returned to Elkins for the night.

This morning we returned to the park entrance and drove up to Dolly Sods Wilderness area (John's website photos). The first 5 miles is tight, twisting two lane and then gravel for another 5 miles to the first overlook. Jean and I were in the Impreza, and I have doubts as to how many would wish to subject their SVX's to that road, although we passed or were passed by all kinds of cars including a Fiero. Thirty minutes one way to the first overlook. Anyone going might wish to stick to the trails; unexploded practice bombs from WWII are said to be scattered about.. The access road for this is just outside the park. Another short drive brings Seneca Rocks, which is a DEFINITE stop. Another short drive gets us to Seneca Caverns, which has a slight group discount but no handicap access. We then drove two miles up paved road and 10 miles up gravel to Spruce Knob, the highest mountain in WV. The view was GLORIOUS (our only previous trip up ran us into fog and rain) but by the time we got back down, Jean's car had enough dirt on it to plant a crop. This one is only for those with bad paint jobs and a stout tranny. So here is my recommendations:

Blackwater Falls....the falls and Astronomy weekend (good weather) so folks would let
us peep through their scopes, trip over the deer
Canaan....hiking trails, horses, golf, dining room," bah", deer outside asking for handouts
Seneca Rocks....great view of awesome rock formations and information center...Beau-ti-Full
Seneca Caverns....largest cavern in WV
Off-park eating and watering holes, gift/craft shops (ladies?)....several

ONLY FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE THAT AWD MEANS ATV....Dolly Sods and Spruce Knob.

The leaves are just begining to turn...hopefully they will not all be gone before we get there, but we are talking the highest (and coldest) part of the state. Everyone will have to drive through lots of lower areas full of leaves just to get there, so I'm not too worried. BRING JACKETS, IT WILL BE NIPPY!

Passed Green Bank and the GBT on the way home: the first time ever that I did not stop. Got home slightly dizzy; I will be making tight mountain turns in my sleep!

I am now available to take questions.... Don

Don,

Rosie want's to know if they have anything like a Bloomingdales, Tiffanys, or Bergdorff Goodmann around New Caanan.
She is trying to heed our governmets call and be patriotic by doing something she really has a talent for: "Shopping."

Larry III
Old 09-24-2001, 08:12 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Overloading the plastic

<Rosie want's to know if they have anything like a Bloomingdales, Tiffanys, or Bergdorff Goodmann around New Caanan. She is trying to heed our governmets call and be patriotic by doing something she really has a talent for: "Shopping." >

Well....letme think a bit.

Yep....ole Tiffany does sell bloomers down in the dale. And right next-door
them Bergdorff brothers are good men to have around ifin you be lookin for a bit of that white lightnin....

Seriously, there are some craft shops and the usual ski-resort stores.

But Aspen this aint.... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 09-24-2001, 08:19 AM
Ain't it the truth?

dates

Shadowyng,
The dates for Canaan are October 19 and 20th with maybe breakfast and everyone heading home on the morning of the 21st. Come join us! email me for more info...
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 09-24-2001, 08:24 AM
Directionally Challenged

What a drag.... a few days short.. I'm driving from Ohio to South Carolina for the week to give the car some TLC at my dad's garage. I was just looking for a chance to show off the work I did on the car and gloat. Well, sounds like a great time for all and might just rivial the Vermont meet for the views and atomsphere. Seems like The Indiana summer meet is when I'll have to wait till. Have fun everyone!!!
Old 09-24-2001, 08:46 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: dates

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Shadowyng,
The dates for Canaan are October 19 and 20th with maybe breakfast and everyone heading home on the morning of the 21st. Come join us! email me for more info...
Don

Shadowyng! Good to see ya 'round! Hope you can make it. While you're at it, check out the "Reading III" thread. Come join us April 5-7 2002!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-24-2001, 09:36 AM
Directionally Challenged

Randy... sounds like a plan.... By April.. I have enough time to plan....granted with the recent events of last week the skies still are very empty..at least the planes are.... I'm just giddy to shoew off all the work I did.... stupid little me.. yeehaa!
Old 10-04-2001, 11:23 AM
I look like Gordon

Well, I was going to be there, and then I couldn't be there, and now I have just found out that I can definitely be there.

Any idea if there are still rooms available in the "block"? I will go even if it is just for the day. I might leave to go climbing at Seneca on Sunday anyway

I am going to call tonight to try to reserve a room.

PS- If my flip-flopping has brought any financial harm to anyone (ie a room deposit being lost) I will happily make reparations.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:44 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Well, I was going to be there, and then I couldn't be there, and now I have just found out that I can definitely be there.

Any idea if there are still rooms available in the "block"? I will go even if it is just for the day. I might leave to go climbing at Seneca on Sunday anyway

I am going to call tonight to try to reserve a room.

PS- If my flip-flopping has brought any financial harm to anyone (ie a room deposit being lost) I will happily make reparations.
Mike! That's great news! Can't wait to see you there. This'll be a smaller, more "intimate" group than Reading. Perhaps we'll actually get to talk this time. The only thing I "Hate" about the "BIG" meets is, I can't spend time with EVERYONE!!!.

Don -- how does the list look now? Who's actually coming (and include Harry -- I got a feeling we're gonna see him there.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI