Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2002, 06:25 AM
EverclearAtMSU

power mode on demand...maybe

I was thinking of making it so I can put the car into power mode via a switch. Yes, it is easy just to floor REALLY REALLY fast and get it into power mode. Then there are nights like last night, when you take off and the fool next to you wants to race and you cant get it there because you've already taken off and your foot is 1/2 way down.

Does anyone have any thoughts to this? I was thinking a simple pushbutton switch would deliver a pulse of whatever voltage the system wants into the line that turns on the powermode. Thus making it think i've stomped the gas

FYI it was a buick centruy, from the late 80's, all ghetto pimped out. Not in powermode it kept up till it went into 2nd then I was about 1/2way past him when I had to slam on the breaks for a big truck
Old 04-03-2002, 06:29 AM
SuperRuu

Forced power mode

Yes it is possible to do that
you have to find the Tps - Throttle Position sensor.
if i remember correctly. ( anybody jump in at anytime)
in senses -5, +5 Volts to activate the power mode
so if you just wire a switch in it should work.
let me find the thread on power mode.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:14 AM
fourth_beegee

just a thought

if you put a switch in to tell the tps +/- 5v won't the car think it is getting more air and add more fuel to compensate. then you would have to have your foot on the floor to get the throttle all the way open. doesn't the power mode only come on if the gas pedal is pressed fast from no throttle to full, if so you would have to release the gas press the button and stomp on the gas, still have a moment were the car is running rich.

the better idea would be to run a switch directly to the computer or figure out if the power light completes the circuit and force the light itself to come on but I would not say to mess with other systems to trick it to come on

like I said just a thought
a long one
Old 04-03-2002, 11:08 AM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
Quote:
doesn't the power mode only come on if the gas pedal is pressed fast from no throttle to full
you can achieve "power mode" at any time as long as the accelerator is hit fast enough...it doesnt have to be from a stop

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 04-03-2002, 11:11 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by fourth_beegee
just a thought

if you put a switch in to tell the tps +/- 5v won't the car think it is getting more air and add more fuel to compensate. then you would have to have your foot on the floor to get the throttle all the way open. doesn't the power mode only come on if the gas pedal is pressed fast from no throttle to full, if so you would have to release the gas press the button and stomp on the gas, still have a moment were the car is running rich.

the better idea would be to run a switch directly to the computer or figure out if the power light completes the circuit and force the light itself to come on but I would not say to mess with other systems to trick it to come on

like I said just a thought
a long one
it's a vald thought. My thing is on occassion i dont push the gas down fast enough for it to turn on the power mode. So I was thinking of doing this so i can have the option of turning on the power mode in this situation. instead of letting up on the gas, then stomping it back down.

My guess is the power light is only for show, that running voltage to it would not do a thing for the performance, so it's a matter of finding what switch is attached to the pedal.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
From what I've read, the power mode only changes the shift map to allow for near redline shifts.. Even if the power mode doesn't come on and you floor it, it's still going to take the car to near redline by itself.. Also, I believe the way the power mode works is the tps gets 5v, but when power mode is kicked in, the voltage drops to 0.. So you could basically wire in a switch, but wouldn't it be easier to wire in a switch for the dash light?

here's the link..

http://home.mgfairfax.rr.com/svx/faq/

"The 'throttle position sensor' or TPS is used by the ECU and TCU to read the throttle opening angle. The sensor reads from +5 volts closed to 0 volts at WOT. There is a direct connector between the ECU and TCU for the circuit. You could wire a switch into the line so you could switch the circuit off. As long as the circuit is off, the TCU will stay in power mode since the transmission will assume you instantaneously floored the accelerator (and are keeping it there)."
Old 04-03-2002, 03:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Is this what it's come down to, racing pimps in a Buick Century? Things must be getting awfully boring in Michigan....

Beav
Old 04-03-2002, 09:04 PM

power mode and other thoughts

Ok now my thought is not of HOW to do anything with this mod of wiring in a switch to have FULL time power mode. As I agree with Beav, I think it only changes the shift map for the transmission to hold a few seconds longer. To redline each shift.
However if you make the TCu think it's always at WOT.. Makes me wonder how Good your gas mileage will be? Of course I know few are thiking of gas mileage right now..
It seems some of the mysteries with the SVX is the ECU.. I"ve got a feeling there is a hidden something burried in the computers. THe other mystoryis, the trannies, and how to Keep them ALIVE.

Beav is right if you just slam the gas, the trans will redline each shift anyhow. the power mode seems more like a cute light. Now if ya really wanted to havea trick, have it rigged that when the Green power light comes on FLames blow out the tail pipe... Of course with the plastic bumpers that might NOT be such a great Idea.

midnight ramblings
SVX1999
Old 04-04-2002, 01:52 AM
fourth_beegee

flames kick ass
Old 04-04-2002, 02:11 AM

Power Mode

Is it very bade for the tranny, if you do the full throttle too often?

mfg hrc
Old 04-04-2002, 02:19 AM
fourth_beegee

I don't believe there is much that can make our trannys go out any faster maybe just a louder thud.

I would worry more about burning up other systems , TPS, ECU, Catalytic converter and such.

a switch to the TPS is diffintly not the way to go

why not see about one of those powerchips out of australia, I believe that will remap you shift points
Old 04-04-2002, 06:12 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: power mode and other thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by svx1999

However if you make the TCu think it's always at WOT.. Makes me wonder how Good your gas mileage will be? Of course I know few are thiking of gas mileage right now..

have it rigged that when the Green power light comes on FLames blow out the tail pipe... Of course with the plastic bumpers that might NOT be such a great Idea.

midnight ramblings
SVX1999
I'm actually thinking I need to start thinking more about MPG, as the last time I filled up it was $1.65!!!!!!

As for flames, that sounds sweet! Melt the saturn or kia behind me I dont know how well my bumper will hold up to that though...Here's something I saw last night at autozone while picking up a bulb...
Got Rice?
it's the 2nd one down, called the afterburner, or something like that.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A few of our mor senior members may remember spark plugs in the tailpipes, powered by Model T coils. Pull the choke, hit the coils and voila!

Beav
Old 04-04-2002, 07:58 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
A few of our mor senior members may remember spark plugs in the tailpipes, powered by Model T coils. Pull the choke, hit the coils and voila!

Beav
I've seen this done on an oldschool chevy, very sweet. even better was his exhaust was mounted so it shot out the sides of the car, talk about burning the competition
Old 04-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My buddy has a '49 ford flathead v8 sedan with the sparkplug/ flamethrower setup. At my bachelor party we torched off a 20 ft tall bonfire with it. There was alot of gas involved. I remember being too inebriated to be scared that the car would catch fire, Yes - it is all on video tape. I wish I could get the svx to do that. It must be fun at stoplights.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.